PDA

View Full Version : Any fix for the media player stutter?

SquireSCA
12-28-04, 09:41 AM
I have tried all the drivers past 66.81 WHQL, and they all have a stutter when you launch a video in Media Player 9. No matter what drivers I use, be they the NVidia beta drivers or the modded ones, they all do the same thing.

I did a fresh install of WinXP Pro SP1a, DX9c, etc...

66.81 works fine.

66.93 and anything else higher than 66.81 has the issue. You lauch the file, like an AVI or MPEG, and media player pops up and then before it plays the file, the system and mouse stutters for a second or two, and then a brief stutter when you exit media player.

It does this with no other app, but it is consistant with everything higher than 66.81.

I always use DriverCleaner 3 when installing new drivers, and going back to 66.81 always fixes it. I have read that other people have had this issue, but I never really found a good solution other than using the older drivers.

Anyone know what the problem is?

saturnotaku
12-28-04, 09:54 AM
Have you tried WMP10?

thern
12-28-04, 10:00 AM
i have noticed it too, i just have gotten used to it now :|

it's not just wmp9 its wmp10, wmp6, that open source media player classic and videoLAN to name a few i have tried its def a driver prob.

edit: wait i just put on the 71.22's and im not getting any stuttering, but the 71.20's and .22's have other video problems ; certain hardware-overlay stuff doesnt work and to make it kinda work you need to enable VMR with nvtweak

SquireSCA
12-28-04, 10:53 AM
Have you tried WMP10?

No, and I do not wish to. I don't want all that DRM crap in there, and the last time I installed WM10, it crashed and took out all of my Media Player platform with it. It would not play any files, it just kept crashing, and I could not get rid of it and go back to WM9.

That was what prompted my fresh install, so I am not going down that road again...

But it is obviously a driver problem, as the system works fine with anything 66.81 or prior.