PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Drivers locks up system and kills my resolution.

cyrokinetics
12-28-04, 01:30 PM
Merry xmas ppl

I've been having some issues with Nvidia's latest video drivers and I was wondering if any of you guys have had the same problems.

I have an Athlon 64 with an ASUS mobo and the GEFORCE 6800 GT factory overclocked with FORCEWARE Drivers 66.93

The PC is running fantastic and HL2 is looking hot plus the rest of the SOURCE games are running excellent as well. HOWEVER, 90% of the time when I try to view a movie, (avi, mpeg, wmv, etc) my system locks up completely and I must reboot. This happens regardless of what player I use. (windows media player 9-10, Quicktime, Zoom, etc) It happens when I open a movie file off the net directly, it happens when i save to target and launch it off the browser, it happens with embedded quicktime movies such as those from apple.com's movie trailer section, and it happens even when i load up a movie from my personal directories. Ive tried different movie players thinking that it may be that, but like I mentioned, it happens with all my players at any given time.

So.......I decided to uninstall the 66.93 drivers and install the ones that came on the GEFORCE installation CD which are a bit older. WA LA!!! Problem solved.

ofcourse....another problem has spawned.

Now, at any given time, my resolution jumps to 640-480 or lower (if thats even possible) casuing for a total disruption with my work flow and another reboot is needed.
Funny thing is that when this change in resolution happens, the settings still show that im running a 1600 -1200 resolution. The only other solution besides the reboot, is to ALT - TAB thru programs and ALT F4 them. Ofcourse, this is not easy because the resolution is so low, that I cant even see the ALT TAB window. When i finally close out enough programs, whether its my internet browser, or outlook, or random software, the problem gets fixed but then when i play a movie, it opens up the movie screen in the middle of my monitor and the movie player sits there with a black screen and i cant turn it off...hahahahah..(no its not really funny)

SO, i uninstalled these drivers and installed the 61.77. Same thing happens, resolution changes on me. I tried installing the latest ones again (66.93), and ofcourse now i get the locking up of the movies.

I havent tried any beta drivers because I wouldnt want to deal with bugs that may affect other areas of my system, but i am open to suggestions. If this has happened to any of you, please let me know what you did to fix this problem. Whether its BIOS settings, or certain BETA drivers, etc. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks alot.

Optimummind
12-28-04, 10:32 PM
When you changed drivers, did you remember to clean out the previous set with Driver Cleaner first? If you haven't done that, I advise you to do it as soon as possible.

Regarding the annoying problem of movie files.

Go into the Registry Editor and look for this value:

{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}

Use the Search function and delete all entries that match that value. It should get rid of your video problems. But once again, run Driver Cleaner first before you install a new set of drivers.

Pimpdad
01-09-05, 10:49 PM
Bump...

I'm having a very similar problem and I didn't start experiencing this until sometime after I installed the Nvidia DVD Decoder. It may or may not be related to the DVD decoder but the problem occurs even after I've uninstalled it. When playing a MPEG file in Windows Media it will lock up my computer and will beep if I click the mouse too much. CTRL-ALT-DELETE doesn't do anything at all. It just stays frozen. I tried the registry trick and that didn't help any. HELP!!! :(

AngelGraves13
01-09-05, 10:53 PM
did you try NOT overclocking your card with the newer drivers?

Pimpdad
01-10-05, 09:31 AM
Actually everything in my system is a stock speed.

More Info:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939 @ 2.4 ghz (stock speed)
MSI K8N Neo 2 Platnuim Motherboard
1 GB Corsair Memory
BFG 6800 Ultra
2x WD 10k 72 GB SATA Harddrives in Raid 0 Stripe
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Windows XP Professional SP2

SimFan
01-11-05, 11:37 AM
Pimpdad,
- 3500+ 939 @ 2.4 Ghz is NOT stock speed... 2.2 Ghz is AFAIK.
Anyway, on the Neo2 Platinum Mobo, OC my 6800GT got me into trouble
(freezing D3D games), and I had to disable Fast Writes to do that.

- 66.93 version driver has the Video full screen bug (with e.g. winDVD5): screen tearing/distortion.
Don't know why it 'freezes' the video though.

JRd1st
01-11-05, 04:42 PM
Merry xmas ppl

I've been having some issues with Nvidia's latest video drivers and I was wondering if any of you guys have had the same problems.

I have an Athlon 64 with an ASUS mobo and the GEFORCE 6800 GT factory overclocked with FORCEWARE Drivers 66.93

The PC is running fantastic and HL2 is looking hot plus the rest of the SOURCE games are running excellent as well. HOWEVER, 90% of the time when I try to view a movie, (avi, mpeg, wmv, etc) my system locks up completely and I must reboot. This happens regardless of what player I use. (windows media player 9-10, Quicktime, Zoom, etc) It happens when I open a movie file off the net directly, it happens when i save to target and launch it off the browser, it happens with embedded quicktime movies such as those from apple.com's movie trailer section, and it happens even when i load up a movie from my personal directories. Ive tried different movie players thinking that it may be that, but like I mentioned, it happens with all my players at any given time.

So.......I decided to uninstall the 66.93 drivers and install the ones that came on the GEFORCE installation CD which are a bit older. WA LA!!! Problem solved.

ofcourse....another problem has spawned.

Now, at any given time, my resolution jumps to 640-480 or lower (if thats even possible) casuing for a total disruption with my work flow and another reboot is needed.
Funny thing is that when this change in resolution happens, the settings still show that im running a 1600 -1200 resolution. The only other solution besides the reboot, is to ALT - TAB thru programs and ALT F4 them. Ofcourse, this is not easy because the resolution is so low, that I cant even see the ALT TAB window. When i finally close out enough programs, whether its my internet browser, or outlook, or random software, the problem gets fixed but then when i play a movie, it opens up the movie screen in the middle of my monitor and the movie player sits there with a black screen and i cant turn it off...hahahahah..(no its not really funny)

SO, i uninstalled these drivers and installed the 61.77. Same thing happens, resolution changes on me. I tried installing the latest ones again (66.93), and ofcourse now i get the locking up of the movies.

I havent tried any beta drivers because I wouldnt want to deal with bugs that may affect other areas of my system, but i am open to suggestions. If this has happened to any of you, please let me know what you did to fix this problem. Whether its BIOS settings, or certain BETA drivers, etc. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks alot.

I read something about this somewhere. The solution is to disable the 64 bit mode because forceware drivers are notorious for having trouble with it.

Hope this helps, especially 'cause I'll be building my FX55 rig soon. :D

cyrokinetics
01-17-05, 10:02 AM
I read something about this somewhere. The solution is to disable the 64 bit mode because forceware drivers are notorious for having trouble with it.

Hope this helps, especially 'cause I'll be building my FX55 rig soon. :D

im not using 64 bit mode yet..im still running regular WINXP.

i went ahead and installed some beta drivers (which still froze my movies) and tried the latest drivers 66.93 again after running driver clean up and cab clean up..... with the same shameful result.

so i have just gone back to old drivers 61.77 which works fine with the exception of the sudden resolution jump that i mentioned before..(my resolution changes to a horrid 640 by 480 and i must reboot.)
It seems that forceware drivers 66.93 and higher (the higher ones being betas) freeze my movies, but anything before that works fine with the exception of the resolution problem.

Ive noticed though that this disaster only happens when I run a movie file WHILE running a internet browser such as OPERA.
I can watch movies fine but once i run them while OPERA or IE is running,POOF there goes my resolution. Funny how sometimes, the movie player will open yet the movie will display in the middle of my monitor..LOL
and will continue to play in the middle of the monitor while the movie player stands empty on the side (lol) until i reboot or close up OPERA.
I'm starting to think that im having a codek problem maybe.
when i first got this problem was with Media Player 10...
i went ahead and reverted back to media player 9 (since Micro$oft does not allow you to uninstall media player from windows.) The problem continued after that..I even tried installing ZOOM player and not using Media player at all.
I dont' know what to do at this point besides re-formatting my PC (which will be a mission since I have a nice setup and configuraton already)
Any thoughts?????

Demono
02-01-05, 12:12 PM
I had a similar problem and the cause of it was K-Lite Mega Codec Pack so your problem is likely to be codec related too.