PDA

View Full Version : Onboard LAN vs. PCI LAN card?

NemesisChild
12-28-04, 11:47 PM
I have cable internet service, my rig is "wired" connected to a wireless Linksys router. I've always wondered if it's better to go with a PCI LAN (ethernet) card versus connecting to an onboard LAN. I have heard that some people can lower their online ping with gaming servers by 15-20 with a PCI LAN card, thus a faster connection. My ping is usually consistent around 78 when playing most BF Vietnam, EA servers. Also, I've noticed that most people have lower pings. This has always surprised me since I thought cable was the fastest internet service available.

Is this true or should I just continue using my onboard LAN connection?

demonized
12-28-04, 11:56 PM
Onboard lan is just as good as a PCI card. I don't think it would make a difference on ur ping to game servers.

jAkUp
12-29-04, 12:16 AM
I would think that an onboard lan would be faster since its direct communication to the CPU, a la, doesn't have to go through the PCI bus... I'm really not to sure though.

retsam
12-29-04, 12:23 AM
I have cable internet service, my rig is "wired" connected to a wireless Linksys router. I've always wondered if it's better to go with a PCI LAN (ethernet) card versus connecting to an onboard LAN. I have heard that some people can lower their online ping with gaming servers by 15-20 with a PCI LAN card, thus a faster connection. My ping is usually consistent around 78 when playing most BF Vietnam, EA servers. Also, I've noticed that most people have lower pings. This has always surprised me since I thought cable was the fastest internet service available.

Is this true or should I just continue using my onboard LAN connection?

there are lots of factors beyond just the speed of the internet connection. you probable have lots of routes between you and the servers causing latency..
can you post a pathping to the servers to see were your getting the most latency?
also about the onboard vrs pci. the only time this is gonna matter is if you nic is beyond gigabit speeds. you could try to set your slidding windows in the registry and set the mtu (Maximum Transmission Unit ) to 1492 or 1500 that might help. also some routers limit your mtu to 1300, that could be a problem you could try this program out to see if this helps

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

NemesisChild
12-29-04, 08:58 PM
Thanks for your help folks.
You learn something new everyday!!!

Kojiro
01-01-05, 11:43 AM
I would think that an onboard lan would be faster since its direct communication to the CPU, a la, doesn't have to go through the PCI bus... I'm really not to sure though.

Even though integrated on the mobo. The ethernet controler, sound chip, USB controller, IDE controller, SATA controller etc.... on the motherboard all use the PCI bus.

It is getting to a point where PCI expansion slots is almost useless. The only thing most modern mobo needs is a high end sound card. Everything else is integrated on the mobo. Some mobo even come with a pretty good sound chip, like my sound storm on my NF7-s. Only hard core sound enthusiast, would need to have the latest Creative Labs sound card.

Bottom line: The PCI slot, just as any expansion slot before it, is ment to
add something your computer does not have. The slot it self is not need to use the PCI bus.

Q
01-02-05, 02:29 AM
Good pont Kojiro. I remember when it all went over the ISA bus. Ah, the good old days!

I would say that usually, with newer mobos, that onboard is actually FASTER. Usually you see gigabit built in, where as I can never find a Gigabit card laying around. Ok...maybe not fair but still.

I personally run a 100 megabit card when I have 1gig onboard. Why? You Ask.....

For some reason IRQ 16 gets assigned to both the onboard lan AND my 6800 ultra. Niiiice. Everytime I got pinged my video would stutter.

So in conclusion, or there lack of, I would recomend onboard just so you have another PCI slot free...maybe increasing air circulation or lowering your system temp....

I dont know.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-02-05, 03:23 AM
Go with the onboard LAN just cuz it looks cleaner in your system (snowcool)

GlowStick
01-02-05, 03:32 AM
Yes,

Most Onboard NIC's just run off the PCI Bus, witch is COULD be a problem if your running a GigaBit NIC and fully useing it. Because the PCI bus has around a GigaBit of bandwith to it!!!!

However, more recent motheboards actually have a dedicated bus to the Gigabit NIC tot he Southbridge just for that situation, such as the Intel CSA, and I belive the Nforce 4 Ultra.

So no, a PCI nic will not help your ping, and if you have a built in NIC, use it!

zoomy942
01-02-05, 04:42 PM
only the newest mobo's have the onboard nic skipping over the pci bus. i want to say the newest nvidia chips are like that, but i cant remember. the rest of the mobos have the lan running on the pci bus. which isnt a big deal anymore. pci bus may not be anything great but it does fine for most things that arent graphics related. the drawback of onboard LAN, is that you may not be able to control the IRQ it uses. my pc, for example, forces me to share me onboard lan irq with my 6800gt. i can fix that by getting a pci lan card, i have just been lazy.

Son Goku
01-02-05, 10:42 PM
It might depend in part on what the integrated NIC is. On my nForce 1 board, it's a realtek something or other. Realtek might not be the best thing out there, though that wouldn't be an issue with it being integrated, but rather an issue with Realtek. I remember reading something sometime back...but haven't bothered with a PCI NIC card.

Same can go for c-media sound :barf: The problem is more c-media then where it's connected.

Still, and all this said, I wouldn't want to do without my PCI slots, and still chose to use SCSI and not IDE for my drives. A DVD decoder card is another area, if one doesn't want to have to decode in software. OK, one could argue with modern CPUs, would it really matter? That said, hardware DVD decoding takes fewer cycles away from SETI or what not, and lets me crunch more...aka increase my stats faster :D Oh yes, on SETI, Folding, or whatever else, people can be rather competitive in racking up the points :rofl

Thunderbolt56
09-02-09, 07:34 AM
A lower ping is not representative of a faster connection. It's representative of your connection latency. You can have bandwidth comparable to a firehose and still have a high latency depending on the hops you have to make to get to the server in question. As long as your ping is STABLE and within server limits, you should be fine.

bob saget
09-02-09, 10:28 AM
Old Thraed.....

ATi
09-02-09, 11:15 PM
Hi NemesisChild,

From my point of view, there is no major difference between the speed of on board LAN card and PCI LAN card. Just continue with your on board LAN connection. Though, the on board LAN card acquire some CPU process time but it does not affect your Internet ping. :)

4 years late:o

hokeyplyr48
09-04-09, 10:14 AM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5423/necropost.png