PDA

View Full Version : Incredible! (Dell 2005FPW)

DaShadow
12-30-04, 01:03 AM
Well my 2005FPW just arrived tonight and I have it all hooked up.

When I first hooked it up I scoured the monitor for the backlight issue so many people have said they have had and I didn't appear to have any issues, then I moved into the Dead pixel test and I thought I had one bad pixel stuck on black. Luckily it was dust. haha.

However, now that the monitor has been on for a couple hours and sufficiently warmed up, I can see that I have a slight backlight problem in the corners but it doesn't affect my viewing or do any discoloration. My D800 laptop has more backlight issues and my Viewsonic even has a little.

To tell you the truth I had never noticed it before on any of my flat panels until I started reading these message boards about it, wish I would have never read about it. ;)

I am curious though, what is Dell's policy if this becomes worse. I will keep it since I have no dead pixels and I can't tell the backlight bleed unless I'm on a complete black screen, even dark DVDs look fine. If it does get worse six months from now, will I be able to return it?

Now, for anyone who is contemplating on getting this monitor, DON'T! It's freaking INCREDIBLE! I can not even begin to explain to you the clarity.

It completely blows away my old Viewsonic 17.4" Flat panel, and also my 21" Sony Trinitron G-520.

I moved my Sony over to my Shuttle box now, and I'm running dual flat panels, this 2005FPW as my main in the native 1680x1050 and my Viewsonic in 1280x1024 (in portrait mode). The Dell is on the DVI while the Viewsonic is hooked up to the D-Sub on my BFG 6800GT.

What is so amazing, is that in this dual config, I can play DVDs on the Viewsonic (watching Evanesence now) and play WoW and Counter-Strike Source on my Dell at the same time. This 6800GT in absolutely amazing!

What's cool is I have Rivatuner up on the Viewsonic while I'm gaming and I can watch the temps in real time. Total geek heaven, plus I have Task manager loaded watching the CPU utilization.

I'm on a low-high end system. A P4 3.06(Northwood-533FSB), but I do have 2GB of RAM. Hey it's cheap. ;)

The clarity is undescribable. I'm happier than my three year old this Christmas getting Thomas the Train!

|JuiceZ|
12-30-04, 01:21 PM
heh, glad to hear you like the monitor ;)

As mentioned in my thread, Dell return policy is pretty good. They overnighted my replacement without any hassle and it will be in today. That being said, after the initial 21days are over, its much harder to get prompt rma service so you're better off requesting a replacement now and just sending back whichever one is worse. On a side note, don't worry about being a pest, I've read post in other forums of people who have returned up to 5. Talking about being anal, lol.

stncttr908
12-30-04, 03:08 PM
I'm saving my pennies for one.

DaShadow
12-30-04, 03:13 PM
I'm not going to return it, no dead pixels and like I said it was only after several hours of being on before I noticed a "little" backlight in the corners.

I guess I should have said too, it was only when I turned out all the lights and put the screen on black. ;)

If I have ambient lighting on in the room, I can't tell a thing...

I love it, absolutely love it.

jAkUp
12-30-04, 06:06 PM
I'm saving my pennies for one.

Thats alot of pennies ;)

Riptide
12-31-04, 10:20 AM
Damn. I wish that coupon code was still valid because if it were I'd probably buy one today. I'm feeling particularly low on the willpower... must..resist...purchase... :)

But the coupon code no longer works ofcourse so it's $799, a bit on the steep side for me. :cry:

Sazar
12-31-04, 10:30 AM
rip... I think you might still be able to sell a kidney on e-bay if you are real crafty bout it :angel:

Riptide
12-31-04, 10:40 AM
Well I just might do that. It's to late to sell my virginity. :D

I wonder if anyone wants a good set of used, never infected, tonsils? :)

Sazar
12-31-04, 10:52 AM
:rofl

you just never know :D

DaShadow
12-31-04, 10:58 AM
I've had this monitor for three days and I can honestly say it's definetly worth a set of never infected tonsils. :D

I still can't believe how awesume this monitor is, this is the best computer purchase I have made all year, I would take this over my 6800GT in a heartbeat. Incredible, just plain incredible.

DaShadow
12-31-04, 11:21 AM
Damn. I wish that coupon code was still valid because if it were I'd probably buy one today. I'm feeling particularly low on the willpower... must..resist...purchase... :)

But the coupon code no longer works ofcourse so it's $799, a bit on the steep side for me. :cry:

Well today is your lucky day, look in the other thread just started today here, it has a coupon code to grab this baby for $559.

Riptide
12-31-04, 11:22 AM
DaShadow that is exactly how I felt when I sold my F500R and moved over to the 2000FP when it first came out. I was ecstatic. It wasn't perfect but I absolutely loved the crispness of the text and the exactness of the geometry. My F500R monitor had nicer color saturation and better blacks but beyond that the 2000FP trashed it.