PDA

View Full Version : overclocking

adpr 02
12-30-04, 01:07 AM
my card keeps Un-overclocking itself. please, can you guys help? whenever I re-start my pc I have to re-overclock it. I am using temperatures of 550/1100 on my 6600gt. This is really frustrating. I am using rivatuner AND coolbits, and noone remembers the clocks after re-boot. also, I have no other problems with my card. NONE AT ALL.

ChemOp
12-30-04, 01:15 AM
Adjust your 2d then test it...then set your 3d and test it....make sure they are different...then put a check in apply at start up.....then you're set.

Scott

adpr 02
12-30-04, 01:43 AM
that is the problem. my clock is set, everything is great. after I re-start it is un-overclocked. EVIL

rewt
12-30-04, 01:58 AM
Which driver? 61.77?

adpr 02
12-30-04, 02:12 AM
67.02 I tried this one, and extreme g. I am using eg right now.

rewt
12-30-04, 04:01 AM
By any chance did you remove the nvidia dll entries from the registry run (startup) key?

Optimummind
12-30-04, 05:16 AM
my card keeps Un-overclocking itself. please, can you guys help? whenever I re-start my pc I have to re-overclock it. I am using temperatures of 550/1100 on my 6600gt. This is really frustrating. I am using rivatuner AND coolbits, and noone remembers the clocks after re-boot. also, I have no other problems with my card. NONE AT ALL.

If software overclocking doesn't stick, you can always modify your own BIOS and flash your card with the new core & memory speeds.

It's kinda risky but it's worth it, I think.

saturnotaku
12-30-04, 08:56 AM
Here's how you fix it.

1) Set 2D core and memory speed, test, apply.

2) Set 3D core and memory speed, test, apply, check startup box.

3) Launch any 3D application, doesn't matter what, could be 3DMark, UT2004, whatever.

4) Go back into the control panel, you should see that your 3D clock speeds have reset. Change them back to your desired speed, test, apply and you're done.

adpr 02
12-30-04, 05:20 PM
but they never change back even after a hundred games. they only change back after re-starting.

nIghtorius
12-30-04, 05:35 PM
but they never change back even after a hundred games. they only change back after re-starting.

if it also clocks down again when re-entering the OC panel of your driver. I probably know what it causing your trouble.. I also had the pleasure to be annoyed with this problem..

link to the topic:

Forceware is not keen about remembering my OC settings. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40818)

oh yeah.. reading this topic would do you good.. in the last post of this topic (my post) contains the solution.

adpr 02
12-30-04, 06:17 PM
ohhhh, goody. One thing. how do I get to, and what is Hkey_Current_user? I don't have it in my "My computer". Is it my documents, and my user?

adpr 02
12-30-04, 07:16 PM
bah. don't bother to answer. I remembered what it is. It totally slipped my mind. I will change the reg. soon. stuped regedit.

Raptorman
12-30-04, 09:23 PM
Use RivaTuner, it will save you a lot of headache.

TacT
12-30-04, 10:52 PM
I'm using the 67.02 driver, refreshforce and expertool for fan speed control mostly but since I have it for that, I've started using it for overclocking too and ditched rivatuner. Run 350 at 2d and 400 3d and don't have any throttling going on with it.

I don't know if all cards really benefit from having the 2d speed the same as your overclocked 3d speed. You're only creating more heat in your case when idle but I do know some need to have it set like that to play ball and prevent throttling in some cases.

I suggest using Rivatuner OR Coolbits for your overclocking and not both, one should set it in the other program if they decide to play ball for you which they should. Try overclocking with Coolbits and applying settings for startup and reboot and check, then if it's worked that's good news. If it doesn't then it's time to come back for more suggestions. (xmasgrin)

I recommend trying Rivatuner first!

adpr 02
12-30-04, 11:10 PM
nop. I had my permissions set right. also I installed Rivatuner because Coolbits didn't work.

My computer stays OVERCLOCKED until i reset it. So it is all good and jolly until a reboot.

TacT
12-31-04, 09:23 AM
permissions what? Did you try any of the above?

adpr 02
12-31-04, 09:57 AM
yes, I tried everything mentioned in this thread yet, and in the other. NOTHING WORKED.

K007
12-31-04, 12:15 PM
This is a driver issue. And this is not a big problem. I hardly restart my pc, dont know about you guys, but its not a big problem anyway. Its driver issue and nvidia has to fix it, just like the refreshrate bug.