PDA

View Full Version : Availablity of 478 P4's

Superfly
12-30-04, 10:56 AM
OK,

Just a quick question guys.

How much longer do you think it will be possible to buy "NEW" retail boxed Socket 478 P4's???

I was going to go over to AMD but after buying the wife a new Kitchen for xmas I've realised my 2005 upgrade path is fooked!!!!! (no money :-()

I've just picked up a cheap 478 board with Dual DDR400 support (to make the most of my shinny new RAM) but my current CPU is a 533FSB so im limited to DDR333 until I can get a 800Mhz FSB CPU.

I was hoping they would still be around (and be cheap!!) in April/May 05 - what do you guys think???

Would I be better off picking one up sooner rather than later.

ynnek
12-30-04, 11:37 AM
Hmm,the Northwood 478's are getting rare now.

so I hope your mobo is prescott approved (most likely)

That said, I haven't heard anything about precotts being discontinued..

XP_GUN
12-30-04, 11:46 AM
I would say the end is near for it, it might have another 5 mouths until the Socket 775 takes it over. I am right now thinking of going over to AMD on my next Pc overhall wich will also inclued at the same time upgrading the to the next gen video card with SLI. (snow=D)

Superfly
12-31-04, 05:34 AM
yeh - I reckon I've get 3-4 months to pick up a 478 Prescott from somewere........

Shame about my hopes for an A64 system in 2005. The Wife's need for a new Kitchen got the better of me :-)

Still I can go that route in 2006 instead.........

THE VIKING
01-01-05, 10:35 PM
The P4 is a loser CPU when it comes to gaming. I'm stuck with mine for a few more months. I can't wait for the nForce4 boards to come out. I'll be getting an Athlon 64 very soon.

bkswaney
01-01-05, 11:21 PM
OK,

Just a quick question guys.

How much longer do you think it will be possible to buy "NEW" retail boxed Socket 478 P4's???

I was going to go over to AMD but after buying the wife a new Kitchen for xmas I've realised my 2005 upgrade path is fooked!!!!! (no money :-()

I've just picked up a cheap 478 board with Dual DDR400 support (to make the most of my shinny new RAM) but my current CPU is a 533FSB so im limited to DDR333 until I can get a 800Mhz FSB CPU.

I was hoping they would still be around (and be cheap!!) in April/May 05 - what do you guys think???

Would I be better off picking one up sooner rather than later.

You will see 478's for a while.
There are tons of boards out there
that have not been sold yet.
Heck just look around at how
many old parts you can still buy.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-02-05, 05:07 AM
Geez, I hope 478's still have quiet a while ahead of them. I personally want to purchase a 3.4GHz Northwood, one of which is probably the hardest to come about these days, because I just don't have enough time to invest rebuilding a system.

PaiN
01-02-05, 05:37 AM
Newegg....currently has a page and a half of 478 P4s ranging from the 533 2.4ghz to the awesome ;) 3.4ghz Extreme Edition

kahloq
01-02-05, 05:49 PM
478's will be around for some time probably more then a year. I picked up a 3.4 northwood a few months ago, but they do seem to be getting rarer. However, there are so MANY places that stock 478 p4's, you shouldn't have a problem getting at least a 3.2 when your ready.

As for THE VIKING.....
the p4 is not a loser in gaming. It may not be quite as fast as certain AMD's, but by no means is it a loser and ANY recent p4 can play any game with much more then adequate performance.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-02-05, 11:14 PM
478's will be around for some time probably more then a year. I picked up a 3.4 northwood a few months ago, but they do seem to be getting rarer. However, there are so MANY places that stock 478 p4's, you shouldn't have a problem getting at least a 3.2 when your ready.

As for THE VIKING.....
the p4 is not a loser in gaming. It may not be quite as fast as certain AMD's, but by no means is it a loser and ANY recent p4 can play any game with much more then adequate performance.

Hey Kahloq, out of curiosity, around how much did you pick up your 3.4 Northwood for?? I just want to know more or less what I can work around with aside from www.newegg.com

ynnek
01-03-05, 12:45 AM
are there even any 3.4 northwoods left?!

jAkUp
01-03-05, 12:48 AM
Hey Kahloq, out of curiosity, around how much did you pick up your 3.4 Northwood for?? I just want to know more or less what I can work around with aside from www.newegg.com

I believe his system is an alienware...

1337_Like_ThaT
01-03-05, 03:28 AM
I believe his system is an alienware...

That or either a highly modded Alienware System...Since when do they package vantec dual fan pci cards in their builds??!! :)