PDA

View Full Version : 512MB vs. 1GB of RAM

Mith192
12-30-04, 05:36 PM
What differences is there in Farcry loadtimes with 512MB and 1GB and what FPS difference is there

wrugoin
12-30-04, 06:49 PM
This one is right up my alley, for I just got another 512MB for christmas for a total of 1GB.

I've noticed that my load times have been SLASHED IN HALF!!! in Farcry. (xmasgrin) It really made a bid difference. Also games like Vampires: Bloodlines, where you get loading screens every minute or so, my gameplay has been much improved. Sims 2 loads faster, Half-Life 2 loads faster, and Call of Duty loads superfast with the extra 512.

As for Framerates, I went from a single to dual channel memory setup and with the increase, I have noticed that my 3DMark went up a bit (200 points) and Vampires Bloodline had a nice FPS increase, but that was mostly due to the lack of hard drive activity (cause of more memory) But in Farcry, I may have gained 2 or 3 fps at the most.

So, I highly recommend it if you're sitting with long load times in games. The 1GB is a god send for that problem, but if you're expecting a noticable increase in framerates, don't get your hopes up.

SO!!! Happy gaming and enjoy your extra memory.

Oh, and by the way, I asked the same question before Christmas while making my list. I recieved similar advise from our forum peers. Check my post here. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42664)

Mith192
12-30-04, 07:21 PM
thanks for the info i am going to get another 512mb tomarrow and i expected some decrase in load times but for them to be cut in half is amasing thanks again for the info

Treason
12-31-04, 05:28 AM
It doesn't matter if it's $400 2x 512 mb dual channel 2-2-2-11 brand name or $160 2x 512 mb 3-4-4-8 cheap generic ram, your loading times will be cut in half for all games.

simonuk
01-02-05, 09:09 AM
The biggest difference I noticed was with Half Life 2, 1gb really makes a big difference with loading times and in game it's much smoother.

zoomy942
01-03-05, 10:59 PM
@wrugoin: extremely well done post,and great link to a previous thread. the search function is an under-utilized tool, and alot of info is floating around in previous threads.

having a gig of ram is by an large the gaming standard. games these days almost expect that much ram, and thats why when people go from 512 to 1 gb, they see such an increase.

Daneel Olivaw
01-03-05, 11:25 PM
In my case far cry was unplayable without 1 gig.

GamerGuyX
01-03-05, 11:25 PM
having a gig of ram is by an large the gaming standard.

You know I think thats gonna have to change soon to something along the lines of 1.5 gigs. What I'm referring to is games like LotR: The Battle for Middle-Earth. Man that game is always accessing the paging file even with 1gb of RAM. :mad:

zoomy942
01-03-05, 11:50 PM
You know I think thats gonna have to change soon to something along the lines of 1.5 gigs. What I'm referring to is games like LotR: The Battle for Middle-Earth. Man that game is always accessing the paging file even with 1gb of RAM. :mad:

notice my sig? :) i am preparing for the future :)

GamerGuyX
01-03-05, 11:54 PM
notice my sig? :) i am preparing for the future :)

Just shut up. :p

superklye
01-04-05, 12:25 AM
I can't wait til I finally have a gig. :(

zoomy942
01-04-05, 12:49 AM

:hug:

bkswaney
01-04-05, 12:49 AM

I went from 512 to a 1gig a couple
of months back and boy I'm glad I did.

Everything runs so much smoother now.
I would NEVER use any less than a gig now. ;)

superklye
01-04-05, 12:59 AM
:hug:
haha...thanks for the support. :)

I went from 512 to a 1gig a couple
of months back and boy I'm glad I did.

Everything runs so much smoother now.
I would NEVER use any less than a gig now. ;)
I'm sure. sigh.

Assuming the return RMA goes well at NewEgg and I get a gift card for there, I'm buying 1GB of the Patriot XBLK PC3200 RAM. I can't wait. :)

FredLovesAMD
01-12-05, 09:32 PM
Same here soon real soon i am going a gig.

nIghtorius
01-13-05, 06:24 AM
I am living in the world of the 1gig RAM for almost 18 months ago. I am a bit demanding when it comes to load times and disk swapping. But I know that I will have 2 gigabytes of RAM after 6 months.. I can feel the games getting more needy on my system.

the best indicator that you'll need more memory:
When you played a game for 10 minutes and you'll stop. When shutting down the game and the windows desktop icons are being build one for one means you'll need more memory..

Slyder
01-13-05, 03:52 PM
Im never going below 1.5gig :D

Massive difference from 512 ;)

opo
01-29-05, 02:49 PM
Escuze my pore English and try to understand the problem i post
I have 1G of ram but i have notice the folowings to bilgatus OS
The time i had 64Mb Ram win2000 that i was using at the time made 75-100mb swap file and things ware quick. Time have pased and i aded Ram so i had 128. now swap was 256. After at 512Mb of ram swap was ~750mb. Now with 1G windows if i let him decide wants to make 1.5GB of swap on my drive. Wich i don't like because i bought RAM to make system faster not to use more my HDD(as virtual ram).

So i thought that RAM Disk wold be the solution, dividing my ram in 512-Virtual disk, where to put the swap, and 512 use as usual.But problem is that i have 2003 server now and after reboot there are problems with RAM Disk drivers. I have to enter Device Manager to disable after enable device in order to see the disk, and so i have done nothing.

So what you are thinking? how to solve my problem??
Respect

Cota
01-29-05, 04:36 PM
In the age of 300gb drives, even with 80gig do you really mind "loosing" 1.5 gig?

superklye
01-29-05, 09:00 PM
Wow...I played HL2 for about an hour and 1GB makes a WORLD of difference. Not a single stutter to be seen/heard/dealt with. Load times cut in more than half...down from 4-6 minutes to no more than 2. 1GB, even if it's not running at the speed it's supposed to, is amazing.

opo
01-29-05, 09:56 PM
Problem is not that sistem take 1.5g, but tha fact that the only slow part in my system and in all youre systems is the hdd. SO if Win use my hdd to store data instead of using RAM(who's acces time is lot more faster) is sure that the system will run not faster but same or litle faster, becauze win will take tame to write his swap[ and imagine that hdd gets fragmented, and other stuff]...
There is my problem... i want the sistem to be fast, and if i find a way to put all ram in swap, i will buy aditional 1GB RAM just for this. And then imagine the scors you'll have.

Dawg90
01-30-05, 11:19 AM
Can someone explain why load times are reduced with more RAM? With 512 MB is it writing to the hard drive cache? If so I'd think you'd notice a lot of paging while playing, but I don't notice that at 512 MB.

Maybe it depends on how clean your XP is?