PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT rattling fan noise!

j0j081
12-31-04, 01:08 AM
Ever since installing my new card a few days ago there has been a weird rattling noise coming from my case. After opening it up I am 99.9 % sure it's from the 6800GT. Weird part is if I lay the computer on it's side the noise disappears. When I move it back to upright positing shortly after it starts again. Any ideas on how to stop this or does everyone's fans do it?

Rytr
12-31-04, 01:58 AM
If you have not already you might check to see if the fan blades are hitting part of the sink or fan guard when the case is in the upright position. Most fans have a little play along the shaft and the guard may be bent just enough to cause the blades to hit.

amenx
12-31-04, 12:48 PM
I used to have the same problem with a ti-4200. The fan covering was too close to the fan. I took it off and bent the cover slightly away from the fan with a screwdriver (it was a thin metal covering). If yours is plastic, you may not be able to do that, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

FlyVomit
12-31-04, 01:38 PM
The fan is probably seated with 3 small screws, I would try repositioning it slightly - it may even be loose!

j0j081
12-31-04, 06:20 PM
I have the model with two small fans. Anyway else with this card have comments on fan noise?

kahloq
12-31-04, 06:35 PM
I have that card in wifes machine and very very rarely will I hear any grind noise at all so it does seem that the clearlance is very tight. Since the fan blades are plastic, they will wear down to the point it wont hit anymore. I had this issue with 6800U and at first there was a loud grinding noise but after a several days, it no longer occured. Every now and then, I will hear that grind when I shut the pc down(6800U). Im not going to RMA it since if it actually fails, BFG will replace it and hopefully the card will be ok for many years, but after that, if it does, then I get free upgrade LOL to newest card at same price point. If it never croaks, then hey, no problem either. Im happy with the card. Now if the noise doesnt go away after a week or so, then Id RMA it or check to see if screws maybe a little loose.

j0j081
12-31-04, 07:27 PM
With the BFG warranty do you really get the newest card for the price? If so they must be pretty sure of themselves.

kahloq
12-31-04, 10:53 PM
With the BFG warranty do you really get the newest card for the price? If so they must be pretty sure of themselves.

If they no longer build the card you originally bought, you get a card of equal value to what you payed at the time of purchase.

j0j081
01-01-05, 04:04 PM
that's a good deal then!

Mud
01-01-05, 04:47 PM
legacy components get more expensive to make as technology moves forward (smaller batches etc), so its often cheaper for the manufacturer to give you an upgrade.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-01-05, 04:51 PM
BFG has the best warranty policies in town!

j0j081
01-03-05, 07:36 PM
Well I decided to leave it alone for a few days and the noise has stopped. My computer sounds like it did with my old card now except at startup when the fan is on full power.

kahloq
01-03-05, 09:38 PM
After a few more days you probably wont even hear that, but very infrequently