PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Ninjaman09
01-04-05, 08:29 AM
So let me get this straight. Blizzard is charging a monthly fee for their network service and they haven't managed to improve the thing?
Well, it honestly isn't in that bad a state. These problems, while annoying, do not happen frequently enough to seriously affect gameplay.
Some poeple might be to stupid to open the right ports or use upload limiters though.
Using upload limiting in turn limits your download rate. Not to mention it defeats the entire purpose of Bittorrent.
oh yeah magus, im gonna let it fully saturate my upload bandwidth to 50 KB a sec that way there's nothing left for regular download comunication and my Download slows to 10kb a sec makes alot of sense bud. (Yes this can, and does happen with bit-torrent technology, it will FULLY SATURATE upload bandwidth and leave absolutely nothing for overhead communication needed to download things)

if im feeling generous i'll up the transfer rate to 40kb and let it sit for 10 minutes when it's done transfering. (It still uploads)
Well isn't that kind of you. 10 whole minutes huh? As egbtmagus said, that's why Bittorrent is no good. Also consider the fact that some of us cannot recieve a lot of incoming connections due to location/network conditions even with a broadband connection. I very rarely get higher than 20-40kbps on my torrents, unless they're well seeded. It doesn't help when greedy leechers saturate the network and slow upload rates.
From a business standpoint their method of patching is very smart, bandwidth is not free you know.
It's true, bandwidth isn't free. You think they could afford to add a patch server, however, with the millions of dollars they started recieving as of the end of December instead of cutting corners and making the patch process take over twice as long.

Tyr-Sog
01-04-05, 11:11 AM
A weekend of GW beta was enough for me. :thumbdwn: boring..

EQ2 with it performance issues, a bit to grinding, constant zoning and kinda dull world just kind of got to me. So shelfed that title.

Back to wow. Loving it with my 27 Orc Shammy on PVP server even though the Horde to Alliance(AKA. scum bags) ratio is like 6-alliance to 1-Horde. (crazy) (crazy) (crazy) (crazy) (duel) There cna be a bit of walking time to time but there's enough quests to allow you to drop the ones you find frusterating or unintresting.

I really haven't had an issue on my server with lag. Just a bit of AH lag but nothing over a 30-60 second lag when nearing or entering the bulding. Once in awhile while browsing AH items it lags up a bit, nothing over a minute lag though. I'm on a low server though, maybe that has something to do with it, not sure.. My only problem with this game is the large amount of immature ubber l33t kids but you learn to tune out the garbage.

|MaguS|
01-04-05, 11:13 AM
oh yeah magus, im gonna let it fully saturate my upload bandwidth to 50 KB a sec that way there's nothing left for regular download comunication and my Download slows to 10kb a sec :rolleyes: makes alot of sense bud. (Yes this can, and does happen with bit-torrent technology, it will FULLY SATURATE upload bandwidth and leave absolutely nothing for overhead communication needed to download things)

if im feeling generous i'll up the transfer rate to 40kb and let it sit for 10 minutes when it's done transfering. (It still uploads)

From a business standpoint their method of patching is very smart, bandwidth is not free you know. I know you've had issues with EQ2 and stuttering you said so when you first got the game, you said you resoloved them as well. Which i find highly unlikely as I honestly don't beleive EQ2 can run properly on 6800 Hardware. IF you really want to prove it to me post a vidcap of you runing thru freeport.

Regards,
Mike

First capturing a video would not show the performance I get since I would loose ALOT of it during the capture. Second, I never stated I had any stuttering because I never did. The only issue I have had with EQ2 was random crashing and my shadow option turning off, both I believe are to be caused by nvidia drivers since when I was on a Radeon 9800pro neither problem arose.

Thier method of patching is cheap and shows how little they are willing to invest in the game. Sony pays for thier bandwidth to make sure everyone gets the patches and downloads at a quick and realiable pace. Never have I gotten a curropt file while downloading a patch from SOE (Counting my 4 years of EQ, acouple months of SWG and PS).

I know I don't run EQ2 at 60FPS and I don't except it to ever but I run it at a playable rate at above High Settings. Im more then Happy with my Performance in the game. Just wish my Financial status in the game was better...

Sorrow
01-04-05, 11:50 AM
Come on over to EQ2 then :P
EQ2's a lot better IMO, fighting is a lot faster paced, reminds me of Champs of Norrath almost. But yea, I do agree that WoW's servers lag, my friend plays WoW and he says when he tries to PK someone they usually lag out in the middle of battle almost a third of the time. Wonder why their servers are so laggy? Bad computers? Maybe they should get the suppliers of SoE to hook em up.
Back to EQ2 though, the game gets better when you are 30+, much more to do and see, better loots and bigger encounters :D not to mention all the heritage quests you get at 40.

Ninjaman09
01-04-05, 02:49 PM
my friend plays WoW and he says when he tries to PK someone they usually lag out in the middle of battle almost a third of the time.
He's either lying/exaggerating or it's his connection. This has never happened to me, and I PvP a lot. The lag only affects looting or the AH, it has never affected player or monster interactions for me. To the best of my knowledge, no one else has had this problem either.
fighting is a lot faster paced
:wtf: Now that's funny, in my experience the fighting is faster paced in WoW. I guess it helps that I played both games.
Back to EQ2 though, the game gets better when you are 30+, much more to do and see, better loots and bigger encounters
This is true for any MMORPG, including WoW.

WeReWoLf
01-04-05, 05:58 PM
Actually for WOW, you're not limited to seeing certain areas at a certain level. i saw a lvl 5 Night Elf running through the wetlands last night. Wetlands is a lvl 20-30 zone. I play on the Windrunner PVE server (You can turn on/off PVP) and i get minimal lag, no login issues and next to no downtime (only when servers are being updated). WOW is the only MMORPG i've played that i've ended up buying. All the rest seemed dull and uninspiring to me. I like WOW because of it's cartoony look, it's fast paced battles, huge raids and it's Storyline. Take the time to read through the library in Darnassus, Stormwind, Ironforge and Gnomregan. Also read up on the storyline on the WOW website. The most immersive storyline since LOTR in my opinion.

Elderblaze
01-04-05, 08:58 PM
Playing both games, niether are perfect. I played EQ1 for 5 years too. It also had it's share of problems, somtimes huge. (Anyone remember how ****ed up the sound was for like a year?) I enjoyed my time in EQ2, it feels and plays different then wow, I actually prefer EQ2's playstyle. However it all comes down to what your willing to accept i suppose. I cannot accept the performance of EQ2, im one of those people who has a very low tolerance to bad performance. I can't handle fps in the teens, stuttering, etc. I can accept the occasional connection problem that wow has though. At times I get equelly frusterated with both games. But at least when I play wow I don't spend more time trying to fix it then I do playing it. I spent days trying to tweak eq2's performance to acceptable levels and was never sucessful. I've had very little problems with WOW's connection but I do play on a light load server, and I don't deny that others have had this problem.

Regards,
mike

Ninjaman09
01-04-05, 09:51 PM
Agreed. FPS in the teens is intolerable no matter what kind of game it is, IMO. Then again, I loved Goldeneye on the N64 and that dropped to the teens very frequently. ;)

WeReWoLf
01-04-05, 10:07 PM
even dropped down into the 6-9 zone sometimes during bomb explosions.

ChrisRay
01-05-05, 07:07 AM
Man speaking of the EQ 2 verses WoW debate, I found the worlds most biased comparison between the two. I honestly think owning website shouldnt give people the right to publish their articles. yeesh

http://www.inktank.com/compare.cfm

Ninjaman09
01-05-05, 07:33 AM
Yeah, that was pretty bad. The author clearly had very little experience with EQ2 to make a comparison. Still kinda funny though.

nrdstrm
01-05-05, 07:34 AM
I'll not berate WOW as I thought it was fun enough when I beta tested it. However, EQ2 just sucked me in. I love it and play it more than I have EVER played an MMORPG before (or any game for that matter). This is a debate that will never be solved. New debates will arise when Vanguard, Middle Earth Online, and D&D Online come out. The one thing I will say, I thought it was kinda funny when someone said "watch the bandwidth pour in at 180k" or something to that effect. I download my patches from Sony at 300-400K. Heh...
Nrdstrm

Ninjaman09
01-05-05, 07:39 AM
Well, actually, the thread was about WoW's server troubles, it just degenerated into a debate. It seems that some people just can't stop yelling about how much they hate World of Warcraft and how every one of the hundreds of thousands of people that play it are all Blizzard fanboys. :rolleyes:

ChrisRay
01-05-05, 07:53 AM
Well, actually, the thread was about WoW's server troubles, it just degenerated into a debate. It seems that some people just can't stop yelling about how much they hate World of Warcraft and how every one of the hundreds of thousands of people that play it are all Blizzard fanboys. :rolleyes:

Hey, I "Love" World of Warcraft, They took my server down (with several others) this morning, and are doing emergency maitenence to fix the stability issues we've been having. If they can fix the stability issues. My problems with the game will really be down to class balance ((Priests need buffed K thx! ^^)

But other than its a pretty stellar game. This post was really just about my total disdain for WoW's current server status. And IMO is completely unacceptable as is. If they can fix it. I expect my opinion to vastly improve.

Sorrow
01-05-05, 08:51 AM
LOL you say WoW's fighting is fast paced? It's about as craptastic as EQ1, the fighting animations are uninspiring, immersion is nil compared to EQ2's voiced-over NPCs, and the spells are weak looking. Oh wow, a fireball smaller than my foot come flying out of my hand, sweet! WoW is not fast paced fighting, it just has a bigger boost in xp, the fighting is no faster than EQ1 IMO, at least when you're dungeon crawling in EQ2 it feels a lot more exciting, maybe its because the game actually takes advantage of sweet bump mapping and next gen graphics ;) I can't picture WoW being around for more than a year, most PC games say it's an awesome game, but they all feel the same that it will fizzle out after a year because of lack of content for people at higher levels and the speed at which everyone levels, and the size of the world....

Let's not forget that WoW is targetted to casual gamers, hence the mad xp boost compared to EQ2, yet another reason I don't see this lasting long.

Sorry but WoW isn't a game for the future, nothing is new about it, the only reason its even given this much hype is because of the name slapped onto it. If it were some no name company, same premise, it would get laughed at. Whereas EQ2 doesn't depend solely on it's lable, but rather on the graphics and innovative gameplay in it.

saturnotaku
01-05-05, 08:56 AM
Damnit, this is not a debate about the merits of WoW or EQ2.

Re-read this post and get it into your skull:

Well, actually, the thread was about WoW's server troubles, it just degenerated into a debate. It seems that some people just can't stop yelling about how much they hate World of Warcraft and how every one of the hundreds of thousands of people that play it are all Blizzard fanboys.

Ninjaman09
01-05-05, 08:59 AM
Hey, I "Love" World of Warcraft, They took my server down (with several others) this morning, and are doing emergency maitenence to fix the stability issues we've been having. If they can fix the stability issues. My problems with the game will really be down to class balance ((Priests need buffed K thx! ^^)

But other than its a pretty stellar game. This post was really just about my total disdain for WoW's current server status. And IMO is completely unacceptable as is. If they can fix it. I expect my opinion to vastly improve.

Yeah, I like it too but I have the same problems as you. I was talking about people who crapped all over the thread with "OMG WOW SERVS SUCk AN EQ@ IZ BETTAR.1!!" I thought the topic was valid and worth discussing. :D

Sorry but WoW isn't a game for the future, nothing is new about it, the only reason its even given this much hype is because of the name slapped onto it.
No, people enjoy playing the game because it's fun to play. Everything you said is entirely subjective. Obviously you like Everquest 2 better. Good for you. I like WoW better. Let's leave it at that.

Sorrow
01-05-05, 09:04 AM
K, just sayin WoW is par with DAoC and EQ1.

vampireuk
01-05-05, 10:12 AM
K, just sayin WoW is par with DAoC and EQ1.

Your word is not law

Tyr-Sog
01-05-05, 11:25 AM
I can kinda see wow not having a lasting appeal. I think the lack of depth will be the cut in the heal for longevity. I hear all to often 40-50-60 lvl guys complaining about being bored in the game already. Then again, getting at those lvls so quick did they play it, craft, do missions or just grind, I dunno? Personally I'd rather explore, craft, complete quests and savior the game.

We will see. I always have my copy of eq2 which I love, it just needs a major, major patch before I play again.

Elderblaze
01-05-05, 04:49 PM
Diablo II is not meant to have lasting appeal, it has ancient 2d graphics, hackers, kiddies, and bots all over the place, that game won't sell one copy, the gameplay is crappy and it will cause blizzard to go out of business. Oh Wait, what you say? It sold over 2 million copies? Because people can play it on there PII 500? The gamplay is not as bad as we thought? Magic Finding is highly addictive? But look at those graphics they look like ass! /sigh

Dude you don't know wtf your talking about, WoW has MASS appeal, it already has like 3x more subscribers then EQ2. It's not going anywhere for a long long time. And you don't honestly think Blizzard is going to just sit on it and not release expansions. If you havent noticed wow's world is extremly low poly, and I wouldent be surprized if their world craft technology isent unlike a War3 map generator. They could release expansions in rapid fashion making the world massive.

DiscipleDOC
01-05-05, 04:54 PM
I played the beta and realized this is not a game i wanna pay each month, very sad this kind of problems exists.

That's how I felt about City of Heroes.... (gay)

Elderblaze
01-05-05, 05:05 PM
I forgot to mention what might seem like the obvious, but blizzard is much smaller then soe, and they do have at least 2x the subscriber base. It would cost them alot more in bandwidth to push out patches, with less money to spend on it to boot.

regards
mike

Parts
01-05-05, 06:13 PM
Half the time. I'm afraid to log out of the game because I fear I cant get back in for several hours.

Best marketing EVER. People are afraid to leave the game, so they play it all the time, GENIUS!

WeReWoLf
01-05-05, 06:24 PM
lol. what people forget to realise is that yes, eq2 does have better graphics and more advanced tech integrated into it. WOW on the other hand is a plug 'n' play engine. This means that they can integrate new tech, add in new zones and parts of the map, remove things that they feel like (christmas in Ironforge anyone? good old Father Winter) Also Blizzard have an extremely good sense of humour which alot of players prefer over the serious life or death mmorpg. And remember, don't blame Blizzard for the servers, this is their first mmorpg. They're still learning. They have done a huge improvement over the final public beta though.