PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning GPU and Memory chips from old thermal grease Question.

Salamandar
12-31-04, 10:30 PM
Ok I'll be recieving NV5 soon and since it is saturday that means I'll recieve it Sunday or at Maximum Monday (xmasgrin)

1- So is Pure White Alcohol good for cleaning GPU and Memory chips from old thermal grease?

2- Is using AS5 on GPU would improve heat transfer much better than the therma l grease that comes with the NV5?

(cheers)

Kamel
01-01-05, 01:22 AM
1) yes, would suggest a lint-free cloth also
2) yes

Rytr
01-01-05, 02:01 AM
Addition to Kamel's suggestions: Q-Tip swabs work well with alcohol in getting grease residue in hard to get places.

racingx
01-01-05, 07:45 AM
I just want to add that be sure you wipe off the alcohol "residue" after you clean the memory and gpu with it.

amenx
01-01-05, 08:38 AM
Funny you should mention it, but I just got thru cleaning mine (XFX 6600gt).

I didnt do it because I thought my thermal paste was better than the manufacturers, but because I knew in mass production it would be poorly or unevenly applied. That certainly was the case when I took off the HS and saw a messy glob of paste spilling over from the GPU core onto parts of the GPU itself. It was tough to clean off.

I dont think I used the right cleaning stuff (contact cleaner) but its clean now. I used a thin layer of generic thermal paste onto the core.

Big drop in load temps. I stress tested it by running 3dM2003 three times in a row and and it didnt get over 57c. Before it would hit 69c after one run of 3dM2003.

NightFire
01-01-05, 08:45 AM
And don't try drinking the alcohol. It can cause serious medical problems, including blindness.

NemesisChild
01-01-05, 06:26 PM
And don't try drinking the alcohol. It can cause serious medical problems, including blindness.

And if consumed in larger quantities, death.

LOL

BladeRunner
01-01-05, 07:09 PM
I use brake cleaner, either on a cotton bud, some kitchen paper or through the spray straw that normally comes with an aerosol can. works better than alcohol and doesn't effect the card. It can damage the surface of certain plastics so avoid spraying it on or near keyboards monitors etc.

I don't usually let my hardware get covered in dust, but when repairing or upgrading others PC's, washing mobos, cards and CPUs in the sink works well too, as long as they are dried quickly & thoroughly.

Vidmar
01-02-05, 08:08 AM
If you're serious about getting ALL of the residue off the components you need to use a solvent like Mineral spirits or Nail polish remover. Especially on the waxy thermal pads/pastes.

Then use 100% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the Mineral Sprits/Nail polish off. Anything less than 100% will leave a residue.

Based upon my experience you can shave off 1-2 degrees if you follow these steps.

Vidmar
(newyr)

Salamandar
01-02-05, 08:34 AM
And if consumed in larger quantities, death.

LOL

No worries, if I want some Alcohol I would drink Vodka,RUM or beer.

Rakeesh
01-02-05, 12:17 PM
I just want to add that be sure you wipe off the alcohol "residue" after you clean the memory and gpu with it.

Alcohol shouldn't leave behind any residue...by its chemical nature it evaporates completely. Unless you are using something that isn't pure alcohol.

Salamandar
01-02-05, 12:20 PM
Alcohol shouldn't leave behind any residue...by its chemical nature it evaporates completely. Unless you are using something that isn't pure alcohol.
indeed, and I'll be using pure white alcohol.

Rytr
01-02-05, 02:20 PM
Some alcohol, especially rubbing alcohol, may contain some water but that is not a problem as long as you let it dry thoroughly. At least, I have not had any problems with using it over the years.

Marcos
01-02-05, 04:11 PM
go to the auto parts store (or local headshop) and pick up a bottle of "Purple Power". There are two kinds the auto kind is stronger than the hippie kind. Anyway let me tell you this is the ultimate of ultimate stain removers, a lil dab on a q-tip will cut thru the **** like a lazer on cheese.

NemesisChild
01-02-05, 07:47 PM
The timing on this thread was perfect.
Ironically, I just installed my new (first) NV5 yesterday.
I first used cotton swaps to remove the grease, then rubbing alcohol.
Next, I used a lint free cloth to wipe off any remaining residue.
I applied AS5 to the core and the thermal grease that came with the NV5 to the memory.
My load temp went from 76-78 to 64-65c.
I was a bit concerned at first that the GPU core wouldn't fully seat against the heatsink.
The installation seems to be fine, the NV5 is performing as expected.