PDA

View Full Version : i'm screwed with my fx-55 and 6800 ultra

Pages : [1] 2

keith33
01-01-05, 12:55 AM
I just recently bought an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard and AMD FX-55 to replace my P4 and ASUS P4P800 Deluxe. Everything has worked so far (RAID controller, NIC etc.), however, when I start playing CS: Source I've gotten BSODs within 2 minutes of gameplay (this NEVER happened with my P4!). I went to the BIOS and reduced the AGP aperture size to 64MB from 128, that increased my time to a BSOD to about 5 minutes. After that, I tried disabling fast writes, increased the time to about 6 minutes but still Windows restarts with BSODs. Eventually, I tried putting WHQL 66.93 drivers instead of the 67.03s and that stopped the BSODs, now it gives hex errors and crashes the exe. Whenever I'm about to get a BSOD or windows restart or hex error, the game freezes up and sound is repeated. At load my GPU is only 65 degrees so it's not overheating. I NEED HELP ON THIS ISSUE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. WHAT'S GOING ON? HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Kamel
01-01-05, 01:20 AM
it's a bit of a stab in the dark, but that could possibly be caused by your PSU.

Banko
01-01-05, 01:22 AM
Do you have the nforce drivers installed?

keith33
01-01-05, 01:29 AM
Yes I have the latest WHQL nforce drivers installed. Somehow I thought a 480W power supply would do the trick. I'm not overclocking or anything either. I'm desperate for ideas now. Anything!

K007
01-01-05, 01:38 AM
Quality of PSU?

Also cauld it be that the heat sink isen't properly installed? It seems once ure in windows and start running something it bsod. Check if fan is on? What does bios temp's read? Check the settings in the bios, reset to defaults and try again.

keith33
01-01-05, 01:57 AM
I tried resetting defaults and got the same BSOD. Now interestingly enough when I cranked the fan speed to max on my thermaltake power supply, the game did not crash. That said, when i exited it, I got a hex error in windows. Or maybe the hex error is just there from the BSODs... Still somewhat clueless, thanks for the help so far everyone, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Actually I just tried F10 during the game a few times after playing 3 - 5 minutes, and no hex error, so it's only coming when it crashes or if i play for awhile. ANY IDEAS??

keith33
01-01-05, 02:42 AM
Someone just mentioned try running it without RAID 0, worth a try?

Absolution
01-01-05, 03:54 AM
my friend was having the same type of problem

he would bsod right as windows would load or freeze completely like 1-5 minutes into his run.

i formated his computer, reinstalled everything and it still did it.
then i read about nforce IDE drivers messing up so i did a system restore to before sp2 on his comp (no nforce drivers) and everything was alright

then i reinstalled the nforce drivers without IDE and GART drivers (not sure about gart being a problem) but now it works fine and no more bsod or lockups.

Ruined
01-01-05, 03:59 AM
I just recently bought an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard and AMD FX-55 to replace my P4 and ASUS P4P800 Deluxe. Everything has worked so far (RAID controller, NIC etc.), however, when I start playing CS: Source I've gotten BSODs within 2 minutes of gameplay (this NEVER happened with my P4!). I went to the BIOS and reduced the AGP aperture size to 64MB from 128, that increased my time to a BSOD to about 5 minutes. After that, I tried disabling fast writes, increased the time to about 6 minutes but still Windows restarts with BSODs. Eventually, I tried putting WHQL 66.93 drivers instead of the 67.03s and that stopped the BSODs, now it gives hex errors and crashes the exe. Whenever I'm about to get a BSOD or windows restart or hex error, the game freezes up and sound is repeated. At load my GPU is only 65 degrees so it's not overheating. I NEED HELP ON THIS ISSUE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. WHAT'S GOING ON? HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

What is the BIOS version on your 6800U?

Hellion
01-01-05, 04:02 AM
WTF is bsod? lol sry im out of the loop now i guess.

Absolution
01-01-05, 04:05 AM
WTF is bsod? lol sry im out of the loop now i guess.
blue screen of death

they are actually almost hard to get in windows xp

rohit
01-01-05, 04:15 AM
Wats BSOD?

keith33
01-01-05, 04:30 AM
My 6800U Bios is 5.40.02.10.04 (haven't flashed it or anything).

keith33
01-01-05, 05:52 AM
Follow Up: I tried NFSU2 and it works fine with a temperature far beyond that of CS: Source. So I think it's just this game, any other nforce 3 ultra owners that got this problem? Please share thoughts!

racingx
01-01-05, 07:49 AM
Sounds like a system memory problem to me try going into the bios and "relaxing" your memory timings. Also have you run memtest to make sure you arent getting any errors? I know AMD's are a little bit pickier about RAM than Intel's.

bkswaney
01-01-05, 07:52 AM
Wats BSOD?

Something us Intel owners do not get very often if any. ;) :rofl:

MUYA
01-01-05, 08:00 AM
Has anyone mention memory maybe the problem?

Anyway my FX53 and 6800U games a charm! :D

MikeC
01-01-05, 08:48 AM
...any other nforce 3 ultra owners that got this problem? Please share thoughts!
I put a system together a couple of days ago with the same motherboard (MSI K8N Neo2) and an Athlon 64 4000+. The only issue I had was that the system would not power up. Clearing the CMOS, as explained on page 2-24 of the User's Guide, resolved that problem. I have yet to stress test the system, but I haven't had any problems so far.

Thanks go out to Rytr and Clay for suggesting that the CMOS be cleared. (mikec)

The motherboard came with BIOS version 1.30, but I know there are more recent official and beta versions available. Be sure to check out MSI's AMD64/nForce user forum for more information:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=28&sid=d55c3ae295f6663abc65b75a18707a69

After installing Windows XP Pro, I applied Service Pack 2. Then I installed NVIDIA's nForce 5.10 chipset drivers (GART, SMBUS, IDE, and Ethernet) and the beta 67.03 graphics drivers (GeForce 6800 Ultra). I disabled RAID and on-board sound in the BIOS. I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

Install MSI's CoreCenter to get temperature, fan, and voltage readouts.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=607&kind=1

Here are my readouts:

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/core_center.jpg

Also, test the system with Prime95's torture test:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Keep us posted on your progress!

NightFire
01-01-05, 08:48 AM
You could try a reformat, and reinstalling all your drivers over again.

MUYA
01-01-05, 09:07 AM
I put a system together a couple of days ago with the same motherboard (MSI K8N Neo2) and an Athlon 64 4000+. The only issue I had was that the system would not power up. Clearing the CMOS, as explained on page 2-24 of the User's Guide, resolved that problem. I have yet to stress test the system, but I haven't had any problems so far.

Thanks go out to Rytr and Clay for suggesting that the CMOS be cleared. (mikec)

The motherboard came with BIOS version 1.30, but I know there are more recent official and beta versions available. Be sure to check out MSI's AMD64/nForce user forum for more information:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=28&sid=d55c3ae295f6663abc65b75a18707a69

After installing Windows XP Pro, I applied Service Pack 2. Then I installed NVIDIA's nForce 5.10 chipset drivers (GART, SMBUS, IDE, and Ethernet) and the beta 67.03 graphics drivers (GeForce 6800 Ultra). I disabled RAID and on-board sound in the BIOS. I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

Install MSI's CoreCenter to get temperature, fan, and voltage readouts.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=607&kind=1

Here are my readouts:

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/core_center.jpg

Also, test the system with Prime95's torture test:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Keep us posted on your progress!

34 degrees C CPU temp??? I am getting on my water cooled set and it's 14 degrees outside ;) Or did you take that when u just booted up or...are u using a water cooling setup too? ;)

rflair
01-01-05, 09:27 AM
Since you stated that when you turn your powersupply to max fan speeds the crashes in CS:S stop I would think your powersupply is to blame.

There was an interesting article where they talked about powersupplies and found that the hotter a powersupply became the harder it was to maintain its rated specs.

So I think your powersupply is just barely enough for your system and when you system goes into high CPU/Graphics use probably not enough power.

Just my 2 cents.

Some of the other suggestions here are very good also, RAM could be a culprit also, but if you migrated the RAM from your old system (and its good RAM you have the OCZ) it should be be good as you have used it extensively before but you never know.

rflair

p.s. all you need is more useless comments that don't help you in any way like,

bkswaney,
Something us Intel owners do not get very often if any.

bkswaney, if you have nothing useful to add just keep you dumb thoughts to yourself.
________
homemade vaporizer (http://homemadevaporizers.info)

MikeC
01-01-05, 10:27 AM
34 degrees C CPU temp??? I am getting on my water cooled set and it's 14 degrees outside ;) Or did you take that when u just booted up or...are u using a water cooling setup too? ;)

Using a retail Fan/Heatsink with Artic Silver 5, which AMD does not recommend using :)

The side of the case is open. The two windows in the room are open and the outdoor temperature is 58 Fahrenheit /14 Celsius. Room temperature is at 72 F / 22 C.

It's unseasonably warm today, but I normally keep one window cracked open during the winter unless it's extremely cold. The cats like to look outside too :)

keith33
01-01-05, 01:45 PM
I have the latest 1.4 bios which came pre-installed already. Right now I've been running Prime95 for about 45 minutes with virtually no errors. Is there some sort of bizarre thing that the HL2 engine does to cause all this??

keith33
01-01-05, 01:50 PM
[Sat Jan 01 14:13:59 2005]
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Sat Jan 01 14:30:17 2005]
Self-test 8K passed!
[Sat Jan 01 14:45:37 2005]
Self-test 10K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Damn I spoke too soon, got this error, now what does it mean??????????

1337_Like_ThaT
01-01-05, 04:09 PM
Something us Intel owners do not get very often if any. ;) :rofl:

Roffles :lol2: