PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hardware failure!

mYth
11-21-02, 04:13 PM
I can't remember when problems starting occuring. It must be about 2 months back when I was involved in a game of Mafia, two missions from the end to my knowledge when boom! The game freezes then exits to a blue screen informing me of a hadware failure with nv4_disp.dll as I think I can remember. Only thing I was able to do was a hard reboot. Fair enough I think, I'll just try again, it happens again.. Then again.

Changing drivers doesn't do a thing for me so I kind of throw the game to the side and ignore the problem for a while. I was planning to format my computer at this time anyhow, thought I might as well wait the problem out and get everything working smoothly after wiping the slate clean.

I formatted my hard drive, installed Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1. All is well, system look good, feels good. Load up a game I think. GTAIII is the the next victim as quick freezes in succession soon leads to a rather nice box coming up informing me of a hardware failure and forcing me to reboot. It is now the same situation for Mafia also.

System Specification
AMD Athlon 1800XP
512MB SDRAM
64MB GeForce3 Ti500
Gigabyte GA-7VTX Series VIAKT266 AGPSet Motherboard

I've tried nearly everything to get things running.

Varying AGP transfer rates from 4x to 2x to 1x
Disabling / Enabling FastWrite
Applying the VIA 4-in-1 AGP patch
Applying a test patch floating around the Guru3D forums
Installing various detonators ranging from 20.xx to 30.xx to 40.xx
Using Microsoft GeForce drivers

I really am out of ideas. Anybody able to help? I'm so confused to why error messages just started kicking in out of the blue and have done since.

Smokey
11-21-02, 04:20 PM
Only time I think Ive had these blue screens came from overclocking the video card. Since UT2003 demo and NOLF2, I had to lower my overclock from the usual high overclock I was using.

mYth
11-21-02, 04:28 PM
Too my knowledge the card isn't overclocked. I know I haven't / didn't mean to do anything like that. If overclocking can easily be done software side of things though it would be good if I could grab a program that would return all default values for the card to ensure I haven't done anything wrong..

Smokey
11-21-02, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by mYth
Too my knowledge the card isn't overclocked. I know I haven't / didn't mean to do anything like that. If overclocking can easily be done software side of things though it would be good if I could grab a program that would return all default values for the card to ensure I haven't done anything wrong..

If you havent overclocked the card, then it wont be ;)
Check that the video card isnt getting too hot? There is always a format and fresh install also :p

mYth
11-21-02, 04:39 PM
The format was two days ago :o

saturnotaku
11-21-02, 04:49 PM
hrm, do you have another system you can test your video card in? Or do you have another video card you can test in your system. We want to try and isolate the problem to a specific piece of hardware here.

Have you tried running without installing any VIA drivers? The stock XP ones are really solid.

mYth
11-21-02, 04:51 PM
Yup first thing I tried was without the VIA stuff. It was only since I noticed the problem was still occuring after formatting that I started to hunt down the drivers.

mYth
11-21-02, 04:53 PM
I forgot to say. Yes, I think the next step is that I try switching graphics cards between machines. It would be good to test this GeForce on my other machine but it's motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot so that's out of the question. I'll sling the TNT2 Ultra in this though when I get the opportunity and if no further suggestions are made.

Chalnoth
11-21-02, 05:08 PM
I believe this is a problem specific to VIA's chipsets (I will NEVER buy a VIA chipset board again...they're just crap...).

Anyway, there is a support page (somewhere) on VIA's website that has a pretty lengthly description of this very problem, as well as possible solutions.

-=DVS=-
11-21-02, 05:23 PM
From my own experiance could be as simple as CPU cooler problem since you have AMD , if you mounted Heatsink to hard core is overheating from pressure , it must be put just to hold Heatsink no need to screw it to hard to surface :p Offcourse if heatsink have no contact with CPU heat problem will appear also :rolleyes: you need thermal grease also like Arctic silver is good.

DaveW
11-21-02, 06:11 PM
The game freezes then exits to a blue screen informing me of a hadware failure with nv4_disp.dll

Don't have Mafia but the IG3 Demo does exactly the same thing on my system. BTW, what sound card do you have?

DenverBuc
11-21-02, 06:20 PM
OK - same thing was happening to me. Thought it was my cound card. Then thought it was sideband addressing or fastwrites. Changed and tweaked and generally played with everything having to do with drivers, etc.

Then I cracked open the old case and took a look inside...

DUST!

Lots and lots of it settled on the bottom. Removed the old Ti4600 and lots of dust on the fan and stuck in the heat sink. Was preventing good cooling of the chip.

Blew it out so it is now nice and clean and clear - free of debris.

VOILA!!! No more system lockups!

Might as well give it a try - very low-tech little-headache solution if it is the same thing.:o

SavagePaladin
11-21-02, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
From my own experiance could be as simple as CPU cooler problem since you have AMD , if you mounted Heatsink to hard core is overheating from pressure , it must be put just to hold Heatsink no need to screw it to hard to surface :p Offcourse if heatsink have no contact with CPU heat problem will appear also :rolleyes: you need thermal grease also like Arctic silver is good.
had like issues here...have never added anything to the proc heatsink, and it works fine...I did have a (near) dead fan on the gf3 which gave me problems (I think my **** PSU was also a problem) and well...if I do any upgrading, I'm gonna get a new PSU, but I finally got it all working so i'm not worrying yet.

-=DVS=-
11-22-02, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by DenverBuc
OK - same thing was happening to me. Thought it was my cound card. Then thought it was sideband addressing or fastwrites. Changed and tweaked and generally played with everything having to do with drivers, etc.

Then I cracked open the old case and took a look inside...

DUST!

Lots and lots of it settled on the bottom. Removed the old Ti4600 and lots of dust on the fan and stuck in the heat sink. Was preventing good cooling of the chip.

Blew it out so it is now nice and clean and clear - free of debris.

VOILA!!! No more system lockups!

Might as well give it a try - very low-tech little-headache solution if it is the same thing.:o

well told ya heat problems = instability happens all the time :p

mYth
11-22-02, 03:59 AM
I'm gonna open the PC up. Take a look inside. Will keep you updated with my discoveries.

Cheers.

mYth
11-23-02, 03:58 PM
I pulled apart my PC and took out the GeForce3. Tried spinning the blades of the fan and noticed they're very stiff, they're unfixable with lubrication, no current will be turning them :o

Fortunately I noticed that the processor fan was also stuck so after lubrication that was fine.

Gonna have a look for GeForce compliant fan tomorrow to fit to it. I think the problem is obviously related to overheating. In situations like this where no intensive graphics-like work is needed the card runs fine but whenever something that will work the card hard comes up it throttles and therefore crashes.

Thanks for all your help guys.

DenverBuc
11-23-02, 04:47 PM
Not a bad day's work for a bunch of NVidiots!:D

We didn't get the exact problem, but man was that close. Better than any old company's tech support any day!

mYth
11-24-02, 12:17 PM
Grabbed a fan from and some heatsink compound from work today and bobs ya uncle. Got a nice Hercules fan purring away on my card. No problems what so ever!

My Mboard fan is being a noisy bugger though so I'll have to grab a replacement for that too though.

SavagePaladin
11-24-02, 12:37 PM
I think I'm gonna finally nab a new case+PSU for this thing. It needs to happen....