PDA

View Full Version : Dell's Geforce 6800 GTO

kerios
01-01-05, 02:46 AM
I know this card has been mentioned before

How does this card compares with the Non-Ultra 6800, and the 6800 GT? I hope to get some opinions from owners before ordering my Dell desktop.

Also, I want to know how I can unlock the last 4 pipelines of this card.

I did a forum search, not didn't find any solutions.

Absolution
01-01-05, 04:59 AM
i believe its a 6800 GT core but slower memory and only 12 pipelines

6800 GTOem

tons of other threads about it

basically a marketing gimic (even looks like a GT)

Kickus_assius
01-01-05, 05:10 AM
Use rivatuner to unlock the extra pipes.

MX/MX400
01-01-05, 05:30 AM
What Absolution said... It's a 12 pipe/5 shader card with the same core speed as a GT but 100Mhz (effective) slower memory. Not bad considering the $300-ish price Dell charges for them. Stock, it's basically a PCI-E GT with 3/4 the fill rate.

Unlocking the extra pipes gives you a pretty noticable increase in performance, BUT since late October nVidia/Dell apparently switched things up as the more recent cards haven't been softmoddable period (glad I got mine when I did :p), but even so at stock it should be able to run most games at reasonably high settings. I wouldn't count on a lot of 1600x1200 gaming with maxed eye candy without some tweaking though.

Another thing worth noting is that the GTO runs really hot. Most run in the high 80's/low 90's at full load, stock, so they're not great OCers unless you spring for extra cooling, and I've heard there are some compatability issues with it and the NV5 (haven't tried it personally though so I can't really elaborate).

All in all though it's a really great card for the price. I couldn't be happier with mine. At stock I was able to run Far Cry and D3 well at 1280x1024 with some AA/AF, and once I softmodded it, it really took off (I can run almost everything 12x10 with 4xAA/8xAF), but with the current trend, if you were to order one today, chances are it wouldn't be modable.

If you want a guaranteed 16 pipe monster card, you might want to drop the extra cash and spring for an X800 XT. Or you could get the default X300 SE, and replace it with an X800 XL (sweet price/performance on that thing) later when it actually hits shelves. But unless 1600x1200 is a must for ya, a stock GTO should be able to get the job done.

P.S. For benchmarks check out the ones done on the Asus v9999 GE (it's almost identical to the GTO: 12x1,5 350/1000)

kerios
01-01-05, 07:34 AM
What about "ATI-biased" games like Half-Life 2? I suppose your "perform well" means framerates above 40fps? Anyway, you made me feel more comfortable about that card. I intend to use the card for gaming as well as basic 3d animation work.

How's the 6800 GTO's performance with the 6800's tech demos (Nalu, Timbury, Sailing). Just want to know really, it's nice to see a PC with some eye candy running.

About Softmodding, if Rivatuner "fails", is anything destroyed or crippled? Is the process reversible? Is there a way to identify if the card can be safely softmodded?

I actually intended to order Dell's "X800 XT" (I suspect they did something to it, it's not the same as a retail X800 XT) but my area's Dell AP (Asia Pacific) ran out of stock. X800 XTs were removed from the online catalogues since 2-3 weeks ago.

They only have X300 SE, 6800 Non-GT/Ultra, 6800 GTO and in the past, X800 XT. The good thing is if I purchase a 8400 system by 7 Jan, I get $250 cash-off.

However, according to Dell AP's updated Dimension 8400 page, they have the X850 XT, PE version! I wonder when will they start selling systems with it!

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400_sg?c=sg&l=en&s=dhs&~page=3&~tab=specstab#tabtop

MX/MX400
01-01-05, 03:48 PM
Well, if memory serves me correctly, the 8400 in my sig scored in the high 80s in the CS:S stress test. In HL2 my fps usually stayed over 60, except in some of the outdoor scenes with a lot of water and particle effects going off. Even at their worst though things rarely dip below the 30s (aside from the occasional stutter, but that's been found to be a software prob on Valve's part) at 1280x1024 with 4xAA/8xAF. Really the ATI bias on HL2 was blown a little out of proportion. Yes the X800s win in the benchmarks but seeing as both series can run the game at 60+ fps with maxed eye candy anyway, you won't really be seeing a huge difference in game. The only nVidia owners who really have something to complain about are the FX 5XXX owners, but that's a totally different subject.

All of the nVidia tech demos run fine. I haven't tried them with FRAPS running to get an exact fps count (and don't have my 8400 hooked up ATM to test it out) but they all ran much smoother than better than the Proxycon demo from 3D Mark 2K5, so I'd guess they were all going at 30+ fps. Maybe a little less for Nalu.

As for softmodding, it's a lot easier than it might sound (RT comes with a pretty easy to follow instruction guide), and even if it doesn't work out right it's completely reversible... unlike BIOS flashing. But with the way things have gone with the latest batch of GTOs nothing's guaranteed.

IMO the X850 XT PE isn't really a great value (the MSRP on that thing is over $550 US!) especially with the new 16 pipe X800 XL on the market for $300, but if you want the absolute fastest single card solution money can buy, that's it for now.

Subtestube
01-01-05, 05:17 PM
Unlocking the extra pipes gives you a pretty noticable increase in performance, BUT since late October nVidia/Dell apparently switched things up as the more recent cards haven't been softmoddable period (glad I got mine when I did :p), but even so at stock it should be able to run most games at reasonably high settings.

This has been fixed (supposedly). RT RC 15.3 should unlock the newer cards.

Kickus_assius
01-01-05, 05:22 PM
Nvidia cards are fine for HL2. My 6800GT @ Ultra gets 120FPS in the stress test, my bro's 6800 NU /w 16 pipes gets 90 FPS. Settings are reflect all everything very high, 1024x768 /w 4XAA and 8X Aniso.