PDA

View Full Version : How to disable nvcpl?

jAkUp
01-01-05, 05:14 PM
Hi guys, I'm trying to disable nvcpl via msconfig, to keep it from starting up, but everytime I restart my computer, its back again, do I need this? Is there anyway to keep it disabled?

d2thez
01-01-05, 06:30 PM
Hey Jakup, how ya doin buddy?

The only other way to clear this that I may know if, since msconfig is normally what works, would be to do this:

Run regedit, I assume you know how to. Once in regedit, locate the below folders and delete any entries from both folders listed. These are all startup programs. Other than this, I know of no other way to assist you!

Here are the regedit locations:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]; and
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run]

Darkoz
01-01-05, 09:28 PM
Run regedit, I assume you know how to. Once in regedit, locate the below folders and delete any entries from both folders listed. These are all startup programs. Other than this, I know of no other way to assist you!

Here are the regedit locations:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]; and
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run]

Yep, that's the best and only way to do it.
Also, go into the "services' listing in Windows "control panel" and disable the nVidia service listed there.
It's first two things that I do when I install a new driver.

rewt
01-01-05, 09:33 PM
What is the purpose of disabling this?

superklye
01-01-05, 09:53 PM
What is the purpose of disabling this?
Frees up 3-4MB of memory

rewt
01-01-05, 10:07 PM
lol. that much? wow

Tried it. Stopping nvsvc32.exe gets me 2 extra MB.

superklye
01-01-05, 11:46 PM
You don't get the features of the nVIDIA drivers when that thing isn't running, i.e., if you're using CoolBits to OC your card, disabling this will not allow you to OC.

jAkUp
01-01-05, 11:49 PM
Yea I know.. the reason I asked is for my dads g4mx system ;) Trying to free up as many resources as possible.

rewt
01-02-05, 01:17 AM
You don't get the features of the nVIDIA drivers when that thing isn't running, i.e., if you're using CoolBits to OC your card, disabling this will not allow you to OC.

Thanks for pointing that out. I notice many people having that problem because they have disabled the nvidia service.

Superfly
01-02-05, 03:39 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. I notice many people having that problem because they have disabled the nvidia service.

nvcpl is the only listing needed @ startup. you can and should be removing the other two - "media centre" and whatever the other one is called - can't remember now.

RanCorX2
01-02-05, 03:49 AM
only nvcpl is needed, the taskbar media icon, nview & the driver helper service are not needed.

Phibbus
01-13-09, 01:11 PM
One reason for disabling nvcpl is to prevent it from taking control of your LUTs and overriding monitor profiles, which continues to be a confusing problem for alot of photographers using nVidia cards. Since it seems the nVid drivers will sometimes access nvcpl.dll and reset gamma to it's settings even if the nVidia Control Panel isn't actively running as a process, the only way I've found to fully override it for these purposes is to actually remove the .dll from the Windows\system32 folder.

SLippe
01-13-09, 03:39 PM
One reason for disabling nvcpl is to prevent it from taking control of your LUTs and overriding monitor profiles, which continues to be a confusing problem for alot of photographers using nVidia cards. Since it seems the nVid drivers will sometimes access nvcpl.dll and reset gamma to it's settings even if the nVidia Control Panel isn't actively running as a process, the only way I've found to fully override it for these purposes is to actually remove the .dll from the Windows\system32 folder.

You do realize that this Thread is 3 years old, right? ;)

Delbert
01-20-09, 11:28 AM
You do realize that this Thread is 3 years old, right? ;)
Actually that would be 4 years.... but yep... WTH !!!! :headexplode: