PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using multiple Athlon MP processor setups?

superklye
01-02-05, 12:25 AM
I was just wondering how the perfomance of two 2500+'s compared to a single 2500+, using, say, 1GB dual channel DDR400 RAM, a GeFORCE 6800 GT, or really, ANYTHING.

I almost never hear anything about the MP line, nor do I know of any mobos that support it. Are there nForce2 boards that have MP support? And do XP-Ms work as well? What I have read about the MP processors is that they are exactly the same as XPs, but cost more.

bkswaney
01-02-05, 12:31 AM
I was just wondering how the perfomance of two 2500+'s compared to a single 2500+, using, say, 1GB dual channel DDR400 RAM, a GeFORCE 6800 GT, or really, ANYTHING.

I almost never hear anything about the MP line, nor do I know of any mobos that support it. Are there nForce2 boards that have MP support? And do XP-Ms work as well? What I have read about the MP processors is that they are exactly the same as XPs, but cost more.

They work great just not for gaming.

superklye
01-02-05, 12:35 AM
They work great just not for gaming.
how come? because of the memory being shared between both processors?

bkswaney
01-02-05, 02:40 AM
how come? because of the memory being shared between both processors?

No game out can use 2 cpu's. Suxs really.
I had a dual MP system a while back.

jAkUp
01-02-05, 02:51 AM
Yea, sadly most games/apps don't properly support dual CPU's, so one ends up not getting used. Its better to go with one powerful CPU

1337_Like_ThaT
01-02-05, 04:09 AM
Yea, sadly most games/apps don't properly support dual CPU's, so one ends up not getting used. Its better to go with one powerful CPU

Ya, like a 2GHz Pentium M CPU should do the trick (snow=D)

GlowStick
01-02-05, 04:40 AM
Erm, i owned a MP 1600+ system till it died (for the 3rd time)

Anyhoo, the only mobo chipset is from AMD, and your limted to AGP and it has buggy USB support.

Also, SMP will not help your games at all, but with the more expensive and much much much slower ram (ECC REGED) you will find that in all game benches youwill lose to the same single processor with better ram.

Save yoru money and buy a A64 system even if its entry level(3200+), for games it will pwn any dual MP system out there.

Edit----------
For got to mention that all MP boards are server boards and not designed for any popular thing today, such as Videocards and Overclocking ; )