PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Cooling 64 vs Thermaltake Venus 7+

zoomy942
01-02-05, 04:51 PM
I recently (this morning) ordered the Antec SuperLanBoy case, and I am picking up a new CPU cooler at the same time. I have found very few reviews of the following coolers, so i am looking for some personal testimonials as to their cooling and noise characteristics.

Artic Cooling Silencer 64

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-185-110&depa=0

Thermaltake Venus 7+

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-034&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

Noise is important since the Antec case i am getting has 120mm fans that will reduce noise. I currently have the Artic Cooling Silencer and my CPU idles at about 55 C. Keeping in mind that i have a terrible generic case and air flow is bad, these temps are very warm.

marqmajere
01-02-05, 09:40 PM
You said noise was important and that Artic Cooling 64 doesn't even say how loud it runs at. Even their site is down. I havn't used either one of these coolers, but if I had to choose, I'd choose the Thermaltake unit. "28dbA at 3050 RPM, 45.5dbA at 6000 RPM". 28dbA isn't that bad and I'm sure it's got enough cooling even at low to keep that 3000 of yours chilly.

crainger
01-02-05, 10:06 PM
What about gigabytes series of coolers?? I've been hearing alot of good things about them.

Q
01-02-05, 10:13 PM
I for one say don't believe the specs you read! I personally haven't used the Thermaltake, but I use the AC64. Read the Newegg reviews for their other fan products, as well as reviews for thier Silencer products for video cards. All high marks. Very cool and very quiet.

My A64 dropped quite a few degrees from stock (not sure exactly how much, its been a while). And it's wisper quiet. I can't hear it at all, as a matter of fact. Just google it some and see what you can find for reviews of both.

I say the Artic Cooling one.

zoomy942
01-03-05, 07:46 AM
I for one say don't believe the specs you read! I personally haven't used the Thermaltake, but I use the AC64. Read the Newegg reviews for their other fan products, as well as reviews for thier Silencer products for video cards. All high marks. Very cool and very quiet.

My A64 dropped quite a few degrees from stock (not sure exactly how much, its been a while). And it's wisper quiet. I can't hear it at all, as a matter of fact. Just google it some and see what you can find for reviews of both.

I say the Artic Cooling one.

i guess i like my silencer, it just makes me uneasy that it controls its speed and not the mobo. the fan never seems to turn very fast, and if my cpu is at 54 C at idle, i guess i thought the fan would be working harder to cool it off. maybe thats just me. :)

Q
01-03-05, 10:42 PM
I trust the fan over the mobo, myself...if its getting to hot it will change it. For some reason my mobo just doesn't like to relegate temps much. That scares me! I guess to each his own, though!

Wait a sec....We have nearly the same system.... well the important parts anyways. Does your Neo handle the speeds well? How was stock cooling for you?

zoomy942
01-03-05, 10:49 PM
in what way do you want to know how my neo handles the speeds? the stock cooling was okay, and this cooler is a tiny bit better, but i am a copper guy..