PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT overheat issue

[BF]Mad_Cat
01-02-05, 06:58 PM
Greetz. Nice forum you have here, lot's of nice info.
Posting here to get comments on my problem...

I have troubles with my videocard, when playing a game for a long time, for example Counter Strike Source, the core chip temperature reaches 110-115 degrees celcium. Is that normal? When that happens I encounter random polygon losses in game: walls become transparent, unknown artifacts/graphical objects appear... I have an additional fan blowing on the videocard and motherboard. Please advise.

P.S. The card is Prolink PixelView GF6600GT, running standard frequencies.

NemesisChild
01-02-05, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Your core temperature is unusually high, I'm surprised your card hasn't locked up.
Several things come to mind:
1.) How are you measuring your temps? Display control panel? Riva Tuner?
2.) Make sure the fan on your card is running/operating.
3.) Is your case adequately ventilated? You may be getting heat build-up inside.
4.) The GPU core may not be properly seated against the heatsink. Check to make sure that the screws of the heatsink/fan are not loose (but not too tight).
5.) I'm not familar with the 6600GT, does it require a direct power supply? If so, you will need at least a 300w PSU, preferably with a dedicated 12v rail.

Hope that helps, let me know how things pan out for you.

smthmlk
01-02-05, 08:03 PM
is it just me or has anyone else noticed overheating 6600GTs are quickly becoming a recurring theme?

quik_2_win
01-02-05, 08:33 PM
yes, the card is overheating...

I have a question/ does anyone know if the 6600GT uses some form of "clock throttling" (ie FX-series)? The reason I ask is that I noticed if I overclock my card, sometimes the benchmark scores are lower than with the card at default speeds. I have also noticed that if I run repeating loops of Aquamark the score will be lower on the second and consecutive runs than the first. Rivatuner doesn't indicate a clock slowdown, and I have no way to monitor the temperature(s) as I purchased the PNY 6600GT "on sale" and the manufacturer (in it's zeal to save me some money) did not utilize any temperature monitoring hardware on the card. I zapped the backside of the card with my Raytek non-contact thermometer, directly under the GPU core while running some benches, and it indicated about 135 F (65 C ish). Maybe it disables some pipelines or something?

latinmike
01-03-05, 12:13 AM
you can try to make moditfcation to your pc case to help you keep your card cool like I have done here.To 80x80mm fans in front of the GPU http://server2.uploadit.org/files/latinmike-pc3.jpg and you can try defferant driver that happen to me was new beta drivers and when I change them to 61.76 the cards temps. went down I using 66.93 seems to work ok. Speedfan temps idle 54c/36c load, 63c/45c

Jason_25
01-03-05, 02:32 AM
yes, the card is overheating...

I have a question/ does anyone know if the 6600GT uses some form of "clock throttling" (ie FX-series)?

Download nvtweak and use it to enable the debug log in the nvidia control panel. That will tell you if the card is throttling back.

lowdog
01-03-05, 02:33 AM
I'd take the heatsink off the card and apply some decent thermal paste to both the core and ram modules then make sure the heatsink is making GOOD contact with the core and ram modules...make sure it is fastened securely when you re-atach the heatsink.

[BF]Mad_Cat
01-03-05, 05:48 AM
First of all I'd like to thank all of you for attention to my problem. :thumbsup:

NemesisChild
1. I am measuring my temp using the control panel of the display driver.
2. Yes the fan is operation, i've double-checked that.
3. The case is ventilated allright.
4. Not sure about this one, but I am goint to find out.
5. It doesn't need direct power supply, as I know.

latinmike
Thanks for the idea, but I'm not going to install any additional fans into the case, the damn thing already generates too much noise.

lowdog
Will definitely try that if other tricks won't help.

Now, my personal thoughts on the nature of the problem. I assume extra heat is generated coz the card is too close to the device in the PCI slot next to it. I mean, the fan of my GC is only about 1cm from the soundcard, perhaps there's not enough space for it operate normally because of the limited airflow. That's the first theory that I am going to investigate soon. The second is that perhaps the thermo paste is not really of appropriate quality. Anyway, I'll try some mild experiments and see what happens, coz I don't wanna take off the fan/change the paste, etc. in terms of preserving my warranty. In case the card gets burned - they won't find any reasons for not replacing it.

P.S. Also d/loaded latest WHQL drivers, gonna see if anything changes.
P.P.S. Shall report back here soon.

Added:
I've just read that GF6600GT requires 350W power supply, and I have 300W, could that influence on temperature somehow?

spacey
01-03-05, 10:46 AM
my bet is that there is not proper contact with the heatsink. remove it, clean everything with rubbing alcohol then reapply thermal compound. if you use artic silver becareful only to put a very paper thin layer only on the gpu core overwise it could smush off and connect bridges on the rest of the card.. then ur toast!

wow u only have 300W??? upgrade man, thats not stable... unless of course its a silenx shuttle psu.

[BF]Mad_Cat
01-03-05, 11:38 AM
I think i've found the problem... the heatsink has pretty much of a gap, I can easily move it vertically from one side to another with my fingers, also the thermal paste looks melted or smth, bcoz it doesn't stick to the GPU as it should. Now, tell me what is better to be done: fix this by myself or ask for a replacement? I mean, is there a chance that such temperature regime made any harm to the chip?

And yes, I have 300W Enlight PSU. Why do I need to upgrade, please explain.

msxyz
01-03-05, 03:10 PM
I would go for the replacement. Such accidents may indeed shorten the card life.

NemesisChild
01-03-05, 06:57 PM
Mad_Cat']I think i've found the problem... the heatsink has pretty much of a gap, I can easily move it vertically from one side to another with my fingers, also the thermal paste looks melted or smth, bcoz it doesn't stick to the GPU as it should. Now, tell me what is better to be done: fix this by myself or ask for a replacement? I mean, is there a chance that such temperature regime made any harm to the chip?

And yes, I have 300W Enlight PSU. Why do I need to upgrade, please explain.

First of all, if the card is still under warranty, RMA it.
Unless you know what you're doing, it isn't worth the risk taking off the heatsink and applying new thermal compound. This will void your warranty.

Secondly, you mentioned above that your 6600GT requires a 350w PSU.
Are you sure it isn't 300w?
My BFG 6800GT OC only requires a 300w PSU.
The reason a good PSU is needed is because if you're under underpowered, it stresses the card (and everything in your system). When the card is underpowered, it is stressed, thus causing high heats and shortened life span.

latinmike
01-03-05, 09:27 PM
Mad_Cat']First of all I'd like to thank all of you for attention to my problem. :thumbsup:

NemesisChild
1. I am measuring my temp using the control panel of the display driver.
2. Yes the fan is operation, i've double-checked that.
3. The case is ventilated allright.
4. Not sure about this one, but I am goint to find out.
5. It doesn't need direct power supply, as I know.

latinmike
Thanks for the idea, but I'm not going to install any additional fans into the case, the damn thing already generates too much noise.

lowdog
Will definitely try that if other tricks won't help.

Now, my personal thoughts on the nature of the problem. I assume extra heat is generated coz the card is too close to the device in the PCI slot next to it. I mean, the fan of my GC is only about 1cm from the soundcard, perhaps there's not enough space for it operate normally because of the limited airflow. That's the first theory that I am going to investigate soon. The second is that perhaps the thermo paste is not really of appropriate quality. Anyway, I'll try some mild experiments and see what happens, coz I don't wanna take off the fan/change the paste, etc. in terms of preserving my warranty. In case the card gets burned - they won't find any reasons for not replacing it.

P.S. Also d/loaded latest WHQL drivers, gonna see if anything changes.
P.P.S. Shall report back here soon.

Added:
I've just read that GF6600GT requires 350W power supply, and I have 300W, could that influence on temperature somehow? spacey might have thing there the contact w/ the heat/sinkbut if you do remove it use nail polish remover it better and you might have something there too the space between the cardgot another pci slot move it. Oh you are welcome.:cool:

[BF]Mad_Cat
01-04-05, 05:43 AM
Nemesis, yeah the card is under warranty, in fact, i've bought it just a few weeks ago. :rolleyes: I also think I should ask for a replacement, but in case they won't agree to change it - shall try fixing this by myself. The only strange thing is that at the beginning the card didn't heat up that much, i've never seen GPU temp reaching 80 degrees, it was 70,75 max... but then something happened - it started climbing to 100 and up. :confused:

About the PSU, I've read that it requires 350W on the official site, take a look:
http://www.prolink-usa.com/item_disp.php?upc=782515006905