PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or Nvidia are slow in Producing Official Drivers

Pages : [1] 2

Salamandar
01-02-05, 09:09 PM
Is it me or Nvidia are slow in Producing Official Drivers.
Switching from Nvidia to ATI made me realize how hard do ATI drivers team work ( though I still say OGL on ATI sux ) a driver each month is waaaaaaaaaaaay a very good idea that Nvidia should adopt or at least work on 2 month Drivers cycle.

:thumbsup:

Raptorman
01-02-05, 09:26 PM
Is it me or Nvidia are slow in Producing Official Drivers.
Switching from Nvidia to ATI made me realize how hard do ATI drivers team work ( though I still say OGL on ATI sux ) a driver each month is waaaaaaaaaaaay a very good idea that Nvidia should adopt or at least work on 2 month Drivers cycle.

:thumbsup:

We do get a lot of drivers, but most of them are not 'official' drivers (WHQL Certified). But WHQL means absolutely nothing to me.

Salamandar
01-02-05, 09:36 PM
We do get a lot of drivers, but most of them are not 'official' drivers (WHQL Certified). But WHQL means absolutely nothing to me.

WHQL means that the drivers won’t miss with important windows Files and cause the O.S. to be unstable.

saturnotaku
01-02-05, 09:40 PM
WHQL means that the drivers won’t miss with important windows Files and cause the O.S. to be unstable.

I've been using NVIDIA beta drivers since they started leaking them for the TNT/Riva 128 and I've not once ever had any video driver file that did bad things to my OS install. Same goes for ATI's (had a Rage Pro back in the day).

WHQL means nothing and should continue to be as such.

Raptorman
01-02-05, 10:00 PM

I knew that much ;). Just I could care less about WHQL. Half of my drivers are not WHQL certified anyway, and no problems here.

Q
01-02-05, 10:10 PM
I don't care much about WHQL...it gives me a certain warm fuzzy feeling...but nothing more. What I care about are official releases!

I switched from ATI to NVIDIA this time with the 6800 Ultra... And I do miss the official driver releases. However, I have been happier, more or less, with the SOLID releases by NVIDIA. NVIDIA used to release drivers more often, but now they're trying to release as few as possible. I remember hearing about a year ago (rumor) that they were pushing towards one major release a year with just a few small ones a year to fix random problems with new games. Who knows.

My system is more stable with NVIDIA, so I have no complaints there. Keep up the slow, stable releases in my opinion. =D

Salamandar
01-02-05, 11:12 PM
Indeed WHQL means nothing.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-02-05, 11:32 PM
WHQL means wait a couple months for a driver to be released, whereas an unofficial dirver previously released 1 month ago is just as good:naughty:

Optimummind
01-03-05, 01:44 AM
I agree the nVIDIA drivers seem to be more stable despite their slow frequency in releasing WHQL drivers. And generally speaking, nVIDIA drivers seem to be more compatible with games as well.

When I was with ATI with its 7000 AGP and the 9800Pro AGP, their driver releases often fixed some bugs but created new ones as well. Just to play Thief 3, I had to use a 6 month-old driver (Catalyst 3.4)!!

RanCorX2
01-03-05, 02:12 AM
If whql means nothing then why bother? cause it means something, the official whql drivers or official betas on nzone always seem the best drivers, all these beta drivers like the 7X.XX and other unoffical whql's are either or oem drivers with crappy thirdparty addons or unstable developer junk, I always look forward the whql more than the betas, as they always work the best. for example 66.81, 66.93, 61.77 they were good.

jAkUp
01-03-05, 02:15 AM
I rarley have problems with whql or beta drivers

|MaguS|
01-03-05, 06:20 AM
I don't consider Beta releases as a driver release because untill recently they were leaked. So IMO ATI has better driver support currently then Nvidia. I went from a 9800pro to 6800GT and noticed that updates were slower and often issues were resolved alot slower.

ATI when something went wrong would do a quick hotfix, Nvidia on the other hand just says they will fix it in another release...

saturnotaku
01-03-05, 06:50 AM
ATI is very good at producing drivers in quantity. And if that's what you care about, more power to you. I care about quality of drivers, and that's where ATI has fallen way short. Up until the most recent drivers I've used (4.10) they still hadn't fully resolved the OpenGL gamma problems and other small issues. When I read the Catalyst changelogs, I see a lot of stuff for performance increases, but not much in the way of bugfixes specifically for the X8xx line.

|MaguS|
01-03-05, 06:56 AM
With my 9800pro I never had any issue with any game, but I stopped using it before the Cat 4.6 released which I was told broke OpenGL for ATI (friend was having horrible issues with CS1.6 on a 9800XT).

There are plenty of issues with Nvidia aswell so don't think they are perfect due to thier slow releases... just look at thier release notes, so many issues they know about that keep being pushed to later drivers(aka not being fixed).

You would also think with the massive amount of people complaining about stuttering in many titles that Nvidia would release a hot fix for such a bad issue.

MUYA
01-03-05, 07:12 AM
I have had no one issue on games/drivers etc except the one feature I do not use, wmv hardware accelreation. Must be lucky me :D

RanCorX2
01-03-05, 07:58 AM
I don't consider Beta releases as a driver release because untill recently they were leaked. So IMO ATI has better driver support currently then Nvidia. I went from a 9800pro to 6800GT and noticed that updates were slower and often issues were resolved alot slower.

ATI when something went wrong would do a quick hotfix, Nvidia on the other hand just says they will fix it in another release...

yea by the time its fixed you've probably got rid of the game or stopped playing it.

s-flow
01-03-05, 10:32 AM

Me too went from 9800 to 6800GT and I am more pleased with Nvidias
drivers, mostly becouse their official driversets are of very solid quality.

ATI released drivers all the time it felt like, some of them was
no better then the previous release. I have only experienced the 61.77 to
66.93 official driver switch and the speed increase was nice.
If the 61.77 was good I think 66.93 is very good and I expect next release
to be fantastic!

I really haven´t found some serious bugs with Nvidias official drivers so it´s
nice to be able to forget about driver updates as long as possible and then
be very pleased with the next official release :)

red_star
01-03-05, 04:56 PM
I used to have Radeon 9700Pro and Radeon 9800XT 256. They were great cards but drivers aren't good as Nvidia's.
Since, I bought 6800GT I had two drivers installations. The first official 61.77 to support my card, and now i'm using 66.93. Both of them are great drivers, no problems and NVIDIA really shouldn't do anything about it.
I know that every time when NVIDIA releases update you should install it.
I really enjoy not thinking about bugs, switchin my freaking settings for each game, and do monthly update to make some game to work. Heck I didn't even look at my display control panel since I installed 66.93. ATI never made game profile as NVIDIA has. But, actually they relesed 40MB of CCC .NET crap which takes 60Mb of your ram each time when you start it and it does nothing. The application profile offered there is a joke...

red_star
01-03-05, 04:59 PM
I see there are many beta drivers released by NVIDIA and I really don't care, because the official ones works perfect :)

I know that NVIDIA will switch to .NET but unlike ATI's CCC this one is going to run perfectly.

chadashcroft22
01-03-05, 05:24 PM
Not to bash Nvidia but untill they address the Jo and Mopha issues they have A LONG way to make there drivers better. At least Ati would have addressed these isssues already if it was on there hardware. Makes me want to shy away from Nvidia.

tyx
01-04-05, 02:49 AM
yeah, pity things have change :(

mrgoodcheese
01-04-05, 11:22 AM
If whql means nothing then why bother? cause it means something, the official whql drivers or official betas on nzone always seem the best drivers, all these beta drivers like the 7X.XX and other unoffical whql's are either or oem drivers with crappy thirdparty addons or unstable developer junk, I always look forward the whql more than the betas, as they always work the best. .............

What you described, is what's called the placebo effect.

In reality, WHQL certification = $ to MS. That is all, nothing more.

Think of it as some audio component (amp, receiver, speaker) that has a shiny little "THX" sticker on the front of it. That THX sticker doesn't improve the component physically, but what it does do is put some coin (from the component manufacturer) in George Lucas's pocket. That is all, nothing more.

TacT
01-04-05, 12:54 PM
They're slow yes but the quality is good and there's enough beta's isn't there? WHQL is nothing in the grand scheme of things and more than 90% of my nv graphics card drivers throughout the years have been beta because the officials were not as good.

RanCorX2
01-04-05, 12:56 PM
What you described, is what's called the placebo effect.

In reality, WHQL certification = $ to MS. That is all, nothing more.

Think of it as some audio component (amp, receiver, speaker) that has a shiny little "THX" sticker on the front of it. That THX sticker doesn't improve the component physically, but what it does do is put some coin (from the component manufacturer) in George Lucas's pocket. That is all, nothing more.

So am I the only one who has issues with unoffical whql/beta drivers? and generally has no probs with official whql/betas?

chadashcroft22
01-04-05, 06:52 PM
Yeah got to love these 2 fps increases in games we really don't need it in. And just ignoring the main problems. Next card I get if my problems aren't fixed in the next official set will be ati. At least they address major performance issues within the first 6 months.