PDA

View Full Version : Finally fixed XFX 6600 GT agp

negface
01-02-05, 10:21 PM
Well, I was about to give up...easily reproducable crashes and reboots with a bunch of different drivers.

I finally got it to stop freezing though. I tried the drivers 66.81, 66.93, 67.02, 67.03, 67.22, 71.22, and 71.24s. Always with Fast Write off. None worked. I decided Id try out ExtremeGs 71.20b drivers and still had the problem UNTIL:

*drumroll*

Set DirectX max draw ahead frames to 0. You can find this option under performance and quality settings > additional directx settings using nvtweak or ExtremeG drivers.

Im about to reinstall the 67.03s to see if its not driver related (those gave me a bit better performance.) Ill let you know if it still works.

Anyways, thats what finally worked for me after a week of tooling around. Hopefully this helps some others.

Oh, and my setup:

Athlon 1.4 T-bird
Abit KT7E (Via chipset)
832 megs SDRAM PC133
XFX Geforce 6600 GT agp (second edition, with chrome heatsink)
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
350 watt Codegen PSU, filled to the brink with 4 fans, 2 hard drives, 2 cd/dvd drives, floppy and 6600.
60 C Idle, ~67 Load.

EDIT:
Update: Tried the same solution with 67.03s, works like a dream. Im guessing then that this fix will work with the driver of your choice. :D

Update 2 Went back and enabled Fast Writes out of curiousity, no crashing problems and the best fps in CS:S stress test to date.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-02-05, 10:27 PM
Hey nice going!! :thumbsup: How did those ExtremeG drivers work out for you after the fact? I've never used any personally, currently just using 71.20 so I'm just curious and wanting to experiment in the future

negface
01-02-05, 10:34 PM
Well, I dont have any benchmarks to compare (since aquamark and 3dmark were 2 of the crashing programs I had). Although I did get maybe 5 more fps in the CS:S stress test over the nvidia 71.24s. Most noticeable difference however is in how they handled water over nvidia 71.20s. Both drivers gave weird floating artifacts (sorry no screen) of what looked like my desktop, but with the ExtremeGs the effect was less noticeable. Those artifacts dont occur during gameplay, only the stress test. *shrug*

1337_Like_ThaT
01-02-05, 10:52 PM
I see, thanks for the info. I'll considering testing some Extreme G's out in the future and compare benchmarks! For now, the 71.20s will do! :D

spacey
01-02-05, 11:26 PM
odd, i have the same video card. i'm using the 66.93 and i have it set to 3 by default and i have had no problems.

negface
01-02-05, 11:49 PM
Check guru3d or the nzone forums; lots of people are. I suspect it has something to do with my mobo chipset being VIA. Also, it only did it with certain apps. Doom 3, HL2/CS:S, and Tribes: Vengeance all ran fine, but Id get the crashes in Theif 3, Need for Speed Underground 2, Aquamark 3, X2: the Threat, and 3dMark03. Always, the crashes would occur at the same predictable points.

negface
01-03-05, 03:50 PM
Hmm, actually, expected more to respond. Guess I just got lucky.

quik_2_win
01-03-05, 05:12 PM
That's very interesting. I have been fighting with my 6600GT for a week also, but I haven't tried lowering the "draw no more frames ahead" box. I thought that had something to do with "Vsync" ? which I have disabled via control panel. I have the same applications giving me issues as you did- Aquamark will "loop" sounds and hang in the main menu (thought it may have been the SB Live! ?), 3DM'01 will hang momentarily at different points, BF:V will "loop" sounds and hang in the menu screen and during gameplay. Age of Mythology will hang at various points. Oddly, just as everyone else has mentioned, OpenGL applications run just fine, as do the nVidia demos...I have a VIA chipset also...I will try your solution as I have tried most everything else I can think of. Isn't it wonderful to be a BETA-tester for new hardware?

quik_2_win
01-03-05, 05:50 PM
Well, I just tried it...
Set "render frames ahead" to "0"...
So far so good! Honestly, though, the "freezing" in D3D apps has been intermittant so I will need to keep this set for a while to be conclusive. Thank you for the suggestion negface!

latinmike
01-04-05, 01:26 AM
Well, I just tried it...
Set "render frames ahead" to "0"...
So far so good! Honestly, though, the "freezing" in D3D apps has been intermittant so I will need to keep this set for a while to be conclusive. Thank you for the suggestion negface!
not to change the thread but check this out, home made. :eek:
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/latinmike-before.jpg
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/latinmike-pc6.jpg

quik_2_win
01-05-05, 05:14 PM
*Update-
No problems for a couple of days of use, so it looks like setting the "...no more frames ahead" to "0" fixed my "looping" and "freezing" issues. Thanks again negface. Hopefully nVidia will respond to all of the problems with the 6600 AGP cards by releasing a stable driver very soon as lowering the render ahead frames seems to lower performance a bit...still worth taking the hit in order to be stable.

quik_2_win
01-05-05, 07:30 PM
*Update-
Really not funny, but no sooner did I post that my "freezes" were fixed and it's doing it again...week 2 of troubleshooting my 6600GT is beyond frustrating..

Acme
01-07-05, 01:42 PM
What's your setup quick_2_win? Do you OC? I have the same issue, but only if I OC my XFX 6600GT. At stock speed I can play many hours without a single glitch. I suspect that my PSU (Antec 300W) may be the issue, I think my system is using more than 300W but it doesn't cause any problem at stock speed, thanks to Antec underrated PSU.

quik_2_win
01-07-05, 05:13 PM
The machine that I installed the 6600GT AGP into is a SoyoKT880 Dragon2/ 2500+ Barton mobile/ SB Live! 24-bit/1 Gig PC3200 Mushkin/ Antec 550W. I have found a solution to the "freezing", "pausing", and "sound looping" problems that I was having. My conclusion is that there is a problem with this particular video card (likely caused by the bridge chip) and the VIA chipsets' (KT880) implementation of AGP, specifically in the manner in which it accesses system memory. In fairness to nVidia, VIA has had a long history of poor AGP compliance, although I have used many VIA-based system boards with nVidia graphics cards in the past without any compatability problems whatsoever. The solution is to force the card to run at 4X AGP instead of the 8X AGP that it is rated for. Can easily be done in BIOS and really does maintain perfect stability at the sacrifice of a small amount of bandwidth which in most cases is not measureable.

negface
01-07-05, 06:01 PM
Hmm, my motherboard (Abit KT7E) doesnt support 8x, so perhaps its a combination of running @ 4x and setting frames down. Have you tried resetting the frames ahead to 3? Just to see if that had anything to do with it after all...

quik_2_win
01-07-05, 06:30 PM
No, in fact with the chipset interface set @4X I can run with "render frames ahead" set to it's default value of 3 with no issues. I can also run with Fastwrites on, Sidebanding on, AGP WS 1, Aperture 256 MB, etc...in other words, I can run the AGP bus as aggressively as possible with perfect stability. Which chipset do you have on that Abit board? Perhaps you can play around with the BIOS and fix your "freezes" also. Believe me, I know it can be a headache, but don't give-up yet as the card is pretty decent once you get the bugs out...
Oh, another thing-
I spent a great deal of time experimenting with chipset drivers. From what I gather, if you installed the "VIA CPU to AGP controller" prior to installing XP SP2 then you likely still have the older, proprietary VIA driver in device manager (VIA drivers were decent a while ago, but the later versions are just terrible). This driver is quite slow, and should be replaced with the genuine MS SP2 driver which consists of "VIA CPU to AGP Controller" v. 5.1.2535.0. This update should also install the "Microsoft v3.5 AGP Filter" which will be visible in device manager once you check the "show hidden devices" tab. You will also see "the VIA AGP bus Filter" in there (hidden devices) that needs to be version: 5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). Make sure there are no other filter drivers installed (this happened to me, with negative impact on performance).

negface
01-08-05, 02:50 AM
VIA KT133E /VIA 686B chipset.

The board only has an AGP v2.0 slot though (with most recent BIOS), so im guessing I should avoid trying to put a 3.5 driver on it. Looking more into it however, I did manage to get the last optimized for 2.0 VIA driver on it, for a small fps gain. Sadly, my only solution remains turning down render ahead frames (other than buying a new mobo, processor, and ram perhaps).

Im not certain I have the via cpu to agp controller set up right anyways though. When I go to driver details I see 2 sys files, pci.sys and viaagp1.sys. Why is that pci.sys in there? When I installed the SP2 microsoft driver as you suggested, I saw the pci.sys and gagp30xx.sys (version numbers as you mentioned). As I understand it that shouldve been uagp35.sys. I wouldnt be adverse to attempting the 3.5 driver on my 2.0 slot, but I think id have to create/edit my own inf file, since I cant force it to use what I want to try. Also, even with hidden items shown, I saw no agp bus filter. Only thing close was "PCI bus", I tried uninstalling just to see what would happen and it warned me that doing so would remove my display drivers :/. Updating driver on PCI bus gave me no relavent options in the list. Maybe XP isnt detecting my agp slot properly?

In addition, regardless of BIOS settings or nvidia tweaks, I can not get my system to pass the directx 7 test. This makes me wonder if its really just a matter of infantile drivers for me...

Still, im alright with waiting for some new drivers. My 3dMark03 score was 6340, which seems about right for my old T-bird processor and SDRAM. Also, can get an average of about 45 fps in source engine @ 1280 x 1024, 4x antialias, 2x ansiotropic, and max settings which is ok with me (drops to low 20s at heavy loads, but so much prettier than my old Ti500).

Apologies if this was confusing, sleepy.

quik_2_win
01-08-05, 11:48 AM
Yes, the GAGP30xx.sys is the wrong AGP driver for your motherboard. If you look in C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/Drivers and highlight that particular driver, it is described as a universal K8/K9 CPU to AGP controller. We don't have a K8 or K9. This driver will force your AGP card to run in PCI mode (look in your display driver information tab next to "BUS") and is very slow.

Brian_Scully
01-08-05, 03:27 PM
The directx render-ahead ->0 does not work for everyone.

I've got an XFX 6600GT AGP and am seeing BSODs, missing textures, and other graphic artifacts when playing directx games - I think the BSODs are all DX9 games, and the others are DX8. OpenGL games work good. I've gone through all of the drivers the poster has installing in safe mode and using driver cleaners. I've disabled fastwrites, sideband addressing, video bios shadowing, changed the AGP aperture ... and about every other thing i've seen on these forums. I've got an ASUS A7V VIA-KT133. I think there is something to this "VIA can't get AGP quite right" stuff. I'm gonna try an RMA - we'll see how well it goes with XFX.

Qinstaller
01-08-05, 03:40 PM
WOW thats an old MB. Why hamper the performance of such a great VC with such a slow board?

negface
01-08-05, 03:58 PM
Well, I upgrade when I can. I usually follow the rule "3 times as good and less than 200 dollars" when upgrading. The processors are getting close, which will mean a new mobo and ram as well. Besides, as mentioned, game performance isnt THAT bad.