PDA

View Full Version : How do I enable Sideband Addressing?


darkmiasma
11-21-02, 07:25 PM
I enabled the AGP tab in my drivers, and my motherboard is capable of supporting SBA, but how do i turn it on ... my SBA box is greyed out.

Zeno
11-21-02, 07:33 PM
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but how did you enable an AGP tab in your drivers?

Thanks :)

SavagePaladin
11-21-02, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by darkmiasma
I enabled the AGP tab in my drivers, and my motherboard is capable of supporting SBA, but how do i turn it on ... my SBA box is greyed out.
If its greyed out, it could mean that while the MB is CAPABLE, the BIOS doesn't give the option at all....your machine effectively doesn't know it can do it.

Or its a different revision or something.

At any rate...I find that forcing AGP features makes the machine unstable (probably) because it doesn't mean that the video card actually supports those (or maybe just not very well.)

Dazz
11-21-02, 08:27 PM
Yeah I am running an ancient board (AMD 760) and it automatically enables SBA. If enabling it make you computer unstable then it does not officaly support it. Beside you an't really missing anything.

SavagePaladin
11-21-02, 08:30 PM
is that why my old athlon had that box greyed out?
heh...
cool, thanks for the info

darkmiasma
11-21-02, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Zeno
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but how did you enable an AGP tab in your drivers?

Thanks :)

paste this into notepad and save it as coolbits.reg ... then just doubleclick on it and add it to the registry

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableRotatePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\nv\Device0]
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplCpqConfiguration"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=hex:01,00,00,00

... everyone else, thanks for your help.

- Mike

darkmiasma
11-22-02, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
If its greyed out, it could mean that while the MB is CAPABLE, the BIOS doesn't give the option at all....your machine effectively doesn't know it can do it.

Or its a different revision or something.

At any rate...I find that forcing AGP features makes the machine unstable (probably) because it doesn't mean that the video card actually supports those (or maybe just not very well.)

OK it turns out that I don't have the option on my GPU ... oh well ... thanks

StealthHawk
11-22-02, 11:44 AM
i know i said this somewhere else, but since i can't find that thread i'll say it again. i thought RivaTuner turned on AGP Fast Writes and Side Band Addressing :confused:

yes, even if they were disabled in the card's bios. on the other hand, you probably need motherboard support. but you said your GPU doesn't support it, ostensibly it does, since it is a gf3, but the option was disabled in the bios, probably for stability concerns.

AngelGraves13
11-22-02, 11:06 PM
sidebadn addressing made my games flicker and falsh. I turned it off with Nvstrap and my games look perfect.

Dazz
11-23-02, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
i know i said this somewhere else, but since i can't find that thread i'll say it again. i thought RivaTuner turned on AGP Fast Writes and Side Band Addressing :confused:

yes, even if they were disabled in the card's bios. on the other hand, you probably need motherboard support. but you said your GPU doesn't support it, ostensibly it does, since it is a gf3, but the option was disabled in the bios, probably for stability concerns. SInce the Geforce 2, i know with my old P3 board would crash if i enabled it.

StealthHawk
11-23-02, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
SInce the Geforce 2, i know with my old P3 board would crash if i enabled it.

did your motherboard use an Intel chipset?