PDA

View Full Version : How to make FOV stick?

DJB
01-03-05, 03:32 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a changed default_fov stick in HalfLife2?
Actually, as far as I can tell, it only registers the change the opening outdoor scene before you pick load, or new, etc. I can see the fov change, but then as soon as I hit load, start, etc. it changes back to the default of 75.
Changing the fov while actually in-game does nothing at all.

I hacked the client.dll to force the default_fov to 90, but unfortunately the client.dll keeps getting rebuilt each time I start the game.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DJB

DJB
01-06-05, 10:13 PM
Bump

Anyone anyone? Help please!

DJB

BioHazZarD
01-07-05, 06:10 AM
no idea try ask at steams forum im sure someone there can help you.

Darkoz
01-07-05, 10:45 PM
To make the FOV stick do this..........

Launch the Halflife 2 shortcut on your desktop
In the "play games" menu, right click on Half-life 2 and choose "properties"
Open the "launch options" tab and add +default_fov 90 (or whatever value you prefer) in the launch options box.

I also made an Autoexec.cfg file in Steam\Steam Apps\"username"\half-life 2\hl2\cfg and added default_fov "90" command in my Autoexec.cfg file.

With these two things in place, your chosen FOV should be set in the game.

Rakeesh
01-07-05, 10:54 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a changed default_fov stick in HalfLife2?
Actually, as far as I can tell, it only registers the change the opening outdoor scene before you pick load, or new, etc. I can see the fov change, but then as soon as I hit load, start, etc. it changes back to the default of 75.
Changing the fov while actually in-game does nothing at all.

I hacked the client.dll to force the default_fov to 90, but unfortunately the client.dll keeps getting rebuilt each time I start the game.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DJB

If you hack any files, you have to make sure that you are disconnected from the steam network and running in offline mode.

DJB
01-08-05, 04:10 PM
thanks for the replies.

Darkoz, your suggestions did not work for me.

Are you sure that your fov is actually changed?

One was to find out is to use the console and default_fov 90 at the initial screen where you pick load, save, new game, etc. You will instantly see your view pullback/widen. Then hit escape, or load, new, whatever, and it will change back to default_fov 75.

If you do the above and your view does not shift then perhaps yours is sticking. Mine is not. If I just assumed it stuck then I wouldn't know any better I suppose, but I sure can tell.

I actually can not play HL2 with the 75 fov. Makes me sick as hell.

DJB

Darkoz
01-09-05, 08:49 AM
thanks for the replies.

Darkoz, your suggestions did not work for me.

Are you sure that your fov is actually changed?

One was to find out is to use the console and default_fov 90 at the initial screen where you pick load, save, new game, etc. You will instantly see your view pullback/widen. Then hit escape, or load, new, whatever, and it will change back to default_fov 75.
DJB

It works fine for me.
When I'm in the game I can toggle between the two different FOVs and it stays at whichever I choose.
And I know what you mean, I can't play with the FOV at 75 as it's far too tight. I'm puzzled at why they chose it as default.

Darkoz
01-09-05, 09:16 AM
DJB.....After looking through my Autoexec.cfg file I think I know why your FOV won't stick, it was something that I forgot to mention.

If you have a look at the screenshot below of my Autoexec.cfg file, you also need to add fov "90" including default_fov "90" for it to stick in the game.
When I removed the fov "90" the setting didn't stick.
Hope this helps...

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/3572/fov9bd.jpg

DJB
01-09-05, 10:52 AM
I appreciate the continued feedback.

I have both lines in my autoexec.cfg just as you do. Bloddy thing just won't stick. I can set it in game, but as soon as I resume the game is resets.

How annoying that I bought the collectors edition of this game and I can't play it at the default fov of 75.

(sigh)

Thanks,

DJB

Darkoz
01-09-05, 11:45 AM
Well I'm out of ideas mate.
It works for me and I also have the Collectotrs Edition so I don't understand why it won't for you.

Serial_Killer
01-09-05, 08:29 PM
fov???

DJB
01-09-05, 09:07 PM
field of view

HL2 has your field of view set to 75 degrees of arc, which is a bit too tunnel-visionish for me. 90 is less abnormal to my brain and closer to the main cone of normal vision (excluding your peripheral vision), so I don't get as motion sick.

DJB