PDA

View Full Version : Possible Solution for 6600 GT Freeze, Hang, Lockup

dashrendar
01-03-05, 05:11 PM
I have the Leadtek AGP version of the 6600 GT. I found a possible solution, at least for myself.

I used to get a total system freeze (and sometimes self-reboot) around frame 1000 in 3DMark05. Happened everytime. Easily reproducible. Also, FarCry couldn't last 5 mins without hanging. This is all after a fresh re-install of Windows XP Pro SP2. I also tried 3 different official drivers from nVidia (v66.93, v67.03, and v71.24) plus the one that came with Leadtek.

I had AGP Fast Writes disabled in the BIOS and it was greyed out in Rivatuner.

*What fixed the problem* was RE-ENABLING Fast Writes in the BIOS, but DISABLING it in Rivatuner. That's the only thing I did and I immediately tried 3DMark05. Worked 4 times in a row. Then I tried 3DMark03, and it worked. Ran FarCry at maximum settings, maximum resolution for 2 hours using the Volcano demo. Not a single lock-up.

The difference is like night and day. I'm not sure if these tests are conclusive though, so I will try Call of Duty and other stuff soon for further assurance.

Give it a try at least. See if it works for you or not.

tabasco122
08-02-05, 10:00 PM
if this works, i will worship you forever. this has been bothering me since i got my card in christmas... i ahve an evga. im running 3dmark05 now.

EDIT: dammit, still freezes.