PDA

View Full Version : 6600gt bios

adpr 02
01-03-05, 08:38 PM
can anybody tell me how to raise my clocks from the bios WITHOUT any program such as coolbits, or rivatuner? I want to make it to a certain clock, and make it stay like that forever.

wrugoin
01-03-05, 11:25 PM
Are you looking for a way to flash the bios so the card's default speeds are clocked to the OC speed you desire? Because if so, I have done the same thing with my 6800NU and changed the GPU/Memory speeds from the default 325/700 to 360/775. It was pretty easy. So, if that's what you're looking to do, this is what I did.

First, let me say that this process, if done incorrectly or something goes wrong with vga bios flashing, can ruin your card for good. Many have been successful, but then again, many have had problems and have fried/ruined/wiped out their video cards. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK and don't do this if you're not sure what you're doing. Also, I take no responsibility for any problems that arise from following these steps, I'm just giving you a step by step of the process I did.

Now with that said, what you want to do is download a program called NVFlash. Latest version is 5.10, but the guide I include at the end of this thread is for 4.42 i believe. So... Some things maybe a bit different.

Next, make youself a Dos boot disk, and put the NVFlash program on that floppy disk,

Then boot with that disk get youself to an A: prompt

Type NVFlash -b backup.rom (Backup.rom being the name of your backup file, You can name it what you want....Test.rom, 6600gt.com)

Now you've made a backup of you 6600GT bios.

Reboot back to windows

Now I advise using OmniExtremeEdit FX v1.5 (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=127) to edit the speeds of your card to your desired clock speeds. With this program you can set the default clock speed of the GPU and the memory, as well as set the voltage. It's a very simple program to use and when you make the changes, you just save it back to a .rom file. Just open the .rom file you made with NVFlash, change your speed settings, then save it to another file name, (I'd advise NOT overwriting your backup incase something goes wrong)

Then you can use your NVflash to load the bios you just modified. Here are the steps. Type what's in bold

nvflash -r (this removes the write protect if it exists)

nvflash name.rom (name.rom beign the file you created with OmniExtremeEdit)

NOTE: This command looks different in the guide at the end, this I believe is due to the fact that they used an older version of NVFlash. when I did it, the command to flash the card was just "Nvflash name.rom" In the guide it seems like they had to add "-p -u -f name.rom" which didn't work for nvflash v5.10

The program will then flash the card,

nvflash -w (this will put the write protect back on the card)

remove the boot disk and reboot

You should now have a 6600GT with default clockspeeds at the speeds you set in OmniExtremeEdit

And again I say this....DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK cause flashing your bios cand lead to VERY BAD THINGS (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42881&highlight=flash+dead)....and second of all, read this (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112191) for a nice Noob flash guide.

adpr 02
01-03-05, 11:29 PM
thank you verry much. NOW all I have to do is get a floppy disk drive in my pc. It doesn't have one. can I use a cd-key for doing this?

wrugoin
01-03-05, 11:33 PM
thank you verry much. NOW all I have to do is get a floppy disk drive in my pc. It doesn't have one. can I use a cd-key for doing this?

You can use your any boot disk that gets you to a dos prompt, Such as a cd-rom. Instead of putting NVFlash on a disk, make a folder called BIOS on the root directory of the C drive and save your bios.rom files and the program in there. As long as you're in pure DOS mode you can do it from any drive you can use.

Mavke
01-05-05, 07:15 AM
You should better use NiBiTor (it is the new OmniExtremeEdit fully recoded for better tuning).

NiBiTor Download Section (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=92)

And always make a backup! And upload it at mvktech!