PDA

View Full Version : Can power cause artifacts?

Cali3350
01-04-05, 08:51 AM
Hello. I have a PSU that is very stretche don my system, and am thinkin gof getting a new one. The thing is, i dont want to unless i have to (crazy thought). My BFG6800GT if stalbe and runs fine, as does the rest of this computer. The thing cannot overclock, underclock, or do anything else however, as the driver wont let it. It always fails internal driver test because of power im assuming. I have disconnected some fans in my case, and the card would overclock very slightly, however when forced to run 400 core it would artifact rather badly. Random black blotches all over 3dmark05 test 2.
Im wondering if this could be contributed to power, or if its just a dud core. If its a dud core im ok with that, i just dont wanna buy a new PSU for nothing. Its a BFG6800GT with blue PCB.

SquireSCA
01-04-05, 10:11 AM
Hello. I have a PSU that is very stretche don my system, and am thinkin gof getting a new one. The thing is, i dont want to unless i have to (crazy thought). My BFG6800GT if stalbe and runs fine, as does the rest of this computer. The thing cannot overclock, underclock, or do anything else however, as the driver wont let it. It always fails internal driver test because of power im assuming. I have disconnected some fans in my case, and the card would overclock very slightly, however when forced to run 400 core it would artifact rather badly. Random black blotches all over 3dmark05 test 2.
Im wondering if this could be contributed to power, or if its just a dud core. If its a dud core im ok with that, i just dont wanna buy a new PSU for nothing. Its a BFG6800GT with blue PCB.

Absolutely.

I took out a 500W CompUSA brand PSU and replaced it with a 420W Enermax Noisetaker unit, and my system became more stable and I was able to overclock my CPU an extra 200Mhz then I could with the old PSU.

Also, the Enermax Noisetaker 420W has a dedicated high current 12V cable specifically for high end graphics cards.

rflair
01-04-05, 11:00 AM
What kind of PSU is it?

Almost all PSU have sticker on them relating the voltage (V) output to thier amp (A) output. If the 12V line is below 20Amps it is worth replacing the powersupply. Most good powersupplies will generate 26+ Amps on the 12V line. Its a big differnece, 30% more usable power given the senario above.

Just for example a friend of mine had his P4 2.6, ATI 9700pro running on the stock powersupply it crashed or rest at least once a day when anything to intense was done for to long, usually 10+ minutes. One day I was over and he had the case off and I checked the sticker on the powersupply, 12Amps on the 12V line. We replaced the powersupply with and Enermax I had extra at home which had 26Amps on the 12V line and everything is working fine now. For him thats around 115% more power on the 12V line.

rflair

mustrum
01-04-05, 11:40 AM
At least with my XT PE it could. Had bad OC and artifacts all over if i OCed just a bit.
Changed the load on the 12 rail by switching connectors and it OCed like a champ without artifacts.

Cali3350
01-04-05, 03:40 PM
Well, the PSU is a thermaltake 430w +5-40A +12-18A +3.3-30A

Im pretty sure its being stretched right now. My question is purely if low power can cause artifacts while overclocking, not about stability.

SH64
01-04-05, 03:46 PM
Thats possible . i had artifacts on Doom3 & the CPU test in 3dmark2003 after a while of using a generic 350W PSU . after replacing it with a Tt Purepower 560W PSU .. all artifacts gone .

Cali3350
01-04-05, 05:43 PM
Well...anyone have any ideas for a new PSU for me? Looks like ill just go ahead and get a new one, i suppose i need one anyway.

Cali3350
01-04-05, 05:51 PM
Edit: Double Post :(

NemesisChild
01-04-05, 10:08 PM
Well...anyone have any ideas for a new PSU for me? Looks like ill just go ahead and get a new one, i suppose i need one anyway.

I have a BFG 6800GT OC, my PSU is an Antec TruePower 430w.
It supplies constant (true) 26 amps on a 12v rail.
Like recommeded it other posts, this would be the ideal (minimum) for a 6800GT.
Of course there are other brands available, OCZ is another good PSU.

SH64
01-04-05, 10:12 PM

Since power reqs are going high i wouldent go for less then 480W .
i used to use Thermaltake Silent PurePower PSU's . they are very good as i experianced . good cooling , quiet & stable .

SquireSCA
01-04-05, 10:17 PM
The problem with the power ratings, is that many PSU's are not very efficient. So one unit that says it is rated for 500W, even a name brand like Antec or Thermaltake, might only be cranking out half or 2/3 of that when it is heated up under load.

There are some very efficient 400W units that crank out cleaner power and more of it than many 500 or 600W units, so pick wisely.

I went to an Enermax Noisetake 420W, and with my system it is stable and silent. My rig is silent enough that the loudest things in the case are the three HD's...

Absolution
01-04-05, 11:14 PM
heh, my OCZ powerstream 420 watt acts like my friends 500 wat aspir (he has 2 more amps on the 12v rail or something like that, but other then that they are identical) but actually delivers 12.2x to the 12v rail while my friends is like 11.7x

anyway... make sure you read reviews on power supplies, dont just go with antec or thermaltake because most people have them

my vouch goes for OCZ (any wattage) but they are a little spendy :(

kahloq
01-05-05, 01:08 AM
heh, my OCZ powerstream 420 watt acts like my friends 500 wat aspir (he has 2 more amps on the 12v rail or something like that, but other then that they are identical) but actually delivers 12.2x to the 12v rail while my friends is like 11.7x

anyway... make sure you read reviews on power supplies, dont just go with antec or thermaltake because most people have them

my vouch goes for OCZ (any wattage) but they are a little spendy :(

Exactly. OCZ all the way. Its the cleanest PSU out there comparable to even a PCP&C and is alot less in cost and looks a hella lot better too.

Cream
01-05-05, 03:10 AM
I've just got a

Tagan TG480-u01

Been very impressed with it so far... Nice and quiet, 28amp on the 12v line, dedicated VGA 12v line. dedicated PCIe line, SATA connections

mustrum
01-05-05, 04:12 AM
If you go for a OCZ you can't go wrong. Not the cheapest but after having owned lots of quality PSU's i can tell you that OCZ is in a totally different league.

Cali3350
01-05-05, 08:38 AM
I actually went with the Enermax Noistaker 470w
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-446&depa=0

|MaguS|
01-05-05, 08:47 AM
I have a sparkle 530w, its perfect. Rails never drop even with my VC oc'd and having 5 HDs. :o