PDA

View Full Version : What's the point in SLI?... (at the moment)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Cinders
01-04-05, 10:12 AM
I've been toying with the idea of going SLI for a while now.... (due to reading these forums, he he...)

However, whilst playing Half Life 2 yesterday I had a realisation... Why would I need SLI?... I mean I can run Half Life 2 on my rig in 1600x1200 with 8xAA 16xAF everything turned up and it's sweet as a nut...

So surely I don't need any more graphics power?...

Is there any games out there that benefit from SLI? or is SLI just for big benchmark scores?...

I'm not digging you guys with SLI setups I'm just after some more justification for getting one myself - but I can't at the moment!...

racingx
01-04-05, 10:18 AM
Because it is bigger and badder :firedevil .

Cinders
01-04-05, 10:28 AM
Because it is bigger and badder :firedevil .

Right... Ok... Ahem.... yeah... thats an excellent reason for spending 700+ on two GFX cards and 150 on a Motherboard...

Ninjaman09
01-04-05, 10:30 AM
The decision is yours to make, though I can't see justifying spending the amount of money you'd need to spend on an SLI setup after looking at the system in your sig. Price/performance is what matters to me, and an SLI setup is not very attractive in that respect.

NoWayDude
01-04-05, 10:32 AM
Whats the point of a FX55?Whats the point of a XPTE or a UltraExtreme?
Some people out there,want the biggest,faster e-penis than they can have.Simple (or sometimes not so) as that :)

Clay
01-04-05, 10:35 AM
I've been toying with the idea of going SLI for a while now.... (due to reading these forums, he he...)

However, whilst playing Half Life 2 yesterday I had a realisation... Why would I need SLI?... I mean I can run Half Life 2 on my rig in 1600x1200 with 8xAA 16xAF everything turned up and it's sweet as a nut...

Is there any games out there that benefit from SLI? or is SLI just for big benchmark scores?...

I'm not digging you guys with SLI setups I'm just after some more justification for getting one myself - but I can't at the moment!...As with most anything in this industry, it comes down to personal preference. If you can't justify an SLI setup then that's cool. However, there are those that can justify it (for a variety of reasons).

There's more to it though than just justification or not currently. It's about driving innovation and raising the bar. If companies like NVIDIA didn't do this then we'd all likely still be playing at 800x600 with 16-bit color and no AA on sub GHz systems. :)

BladeRunner
01-04-05, 10:57 AM
It's down to the individual. One of my mates is happy to play in doom3 @ 1600x200 with an x800 pro, where to me nothing above 1024 x768 is smooth enough with that card, eye candy and some aa/af. Therefore what you may see as smooth and perfectly acceptable frames rates, I and others that have opted for the expense of SLI probably wont.

Half life 2 is a poor example as you don't gain a lot with an SLI set-up, but far as performance goes generally It's always been this way, and is very much the same as "do you really need more than 500bhp in a road car?" most would say no, and be happy with 500bhp, but some still want more & more performance up until you can't go any higher at that time. For me SLi still isn't fast enough because compromises are required, I can't run Doom3 at 1600 x 1200 8x aa 16x af with every image option an candy detail on at 100 plus fps constantly :p. I might be happy if I could.. until next week when a more demanding game comes out... give me dual FX55 cpu 4gb or ram and 4x 512mb cards in SLI I I guess I'd still want more. :D

An aside, pure speculation for the sake of discussion, but If it were possible to get X850XTPE's to work in nvidia's SLI, (i know it's not), I'd think they would give a quite a bit more performance due to the ATI cards taking less of a hit on higher AA /AF settings??

Zelda_fan
01-04-05, 11:03 AM
I don't think ATI's solution will be as efficent as nVidia's becasue they don't have a bridge connector. I think it will allow them to be competitive, but I still think nVidia will still be the perfromance champ with 2xSLI cards.

Why? Well for one, in Doom3 you can play at a solid 60fps rather than an average 40fps at the max settings. HL2 is a poor example, but in FarCry you could play at 1600x1200 with HDR turned on. Also future games like Oblivion, EQ2, or stalker will really push SLI.

|MaguS|
01-04-05, 11:05 AM

I'm not digging you guys with SLI setups I'm just after some more justification for getting one myself - but I can't at the moment!...

I just wana know how you run HL2 at the settings with a dead Radeon x800...

Jonk, Currently as it stands. EQ2 does not take advantage of SLi and people who have tried it claimed it caused a loss in performance. I was thinking of going SLi for EQ2 but wont untill its proven to give the game the boost it needs.

zoomy942
01-04-05, 11:07 AM
everyone is right in that it's about preference. the industry enthusiats may only make up about 5% of the market, but they are the ones that drive innovation. The things nvidia and ati and everyone else come up with the be "top dog" and please the 5%, always filter down to the mid range and the low end. once that happens, the industry needs to re-please the top 5% again, and round and round we go.

with SLI, there are some people that are all about eye candy. i will admit, that seenig HL2 at 1600X1200 8aa and 8 af and having it run smooth was like nothing i have ever seen. SLI also drives innovation, look at gigabyte making one SLI card.

in IT, the companies that survive are the ones that keep "wowing" customers.

jbirney
01-04-05, 11:37 AM
I think SLI has its place for some. However I would challange the "driving innovation" thing as SLI or 2 GPUs on a card are ideas that have been avalible at some point in time in the consumer marketplace (granted not the same thing but the idea of SLI or 2 GPUs is not really new). I do agree about it rasing the bar, it allows users to get even better IQ/FPS and thats always a good thing.

mustrum
01-04-05, 11:39 AM
I know one single Game that doesn't run well on my ULTRA OC to the extreme: Everquest 2.
Now to the funny part: EQ 2 runs slower in an ULTRA SLI setup than with a single ULTRA.
The way it's ment to be played baby!

If you are no 3dmark freak don't go for SLI.
I'd get a SLI capable board and add the second card later if nvidia gets it under control. (It's a mess right now.)

Clay
01-04-05, 11:42 AM
Nobody ever said that SLI or multiple GPUs on a card was some brand new original thought. Workstation video cards have had multiple GPUs for years, old hat.

NVIDIA is driving innovation though in bringing this (call it "re-introduce" if you like) into more of the mainstream consumer market. One can only make faint connections between NVIDIA's approach and that of 3Dfx's approach though, which we all know is an apples-to-oranges kind of comparison.

saturnotaku
01-04-05, 11:49 AM
I'd get a SLI capable board and add the second card later if nvidia gets it under control. (It's a mess right now.)

I'm glad somebody brought this up. It seems like people who are getting SLI setups are going for the gusto and buying the board, a top-end CPU and both video cards at the same time. That's absolutely not necessary. An SLI board is more than capable of running a single GFX card. If you want a good value, get the board, a 90 nm 3200+ processor and a single 6800 or 6600 GT. That will offer great performance (especially if you OC the CPU) and afford you plenty of time to save up and buy the second video card.

SH64
01-04-05, 11:51 AM
1) For near future games where even the 6800Us will crawl like kids @1280x1024 res .
2) Can you play FarCry or CoR or even Painkiller expansion @1600x1200,4xAA,8xAF while getting smooth framerates all the time ? (40+ fps)
3) For those poor coded games where gpu power & features dosent do as much as it should .. like Halo & DeusEX : IW .

zoomy942
01-04-05, 11:54 AM
I'm glad somebody brought this up. It seems like people who are getting SLI setups are going for the gusto and buying the board, a top-end CPU and both video cards at the same time. That's absolutely not necessary. An SLI board is more than capable of running a single GFX card. If you want a good value, get the board, a 90 nm 3200+ processor and a single 6800 or 6600 GT. That will offer great performance (especially if you OC the CPU) and afford you plenty of time to save up and buy the second video card.

that was the point i was about to make :) good call.

and SLI has been around before but this iteration of it really takes advantage of the capabilities of SLI (not lik eht voodoo 5500 that really was 2 4500's squished together)

SquireSCA
01-04-05, 11:58 AM
Bragging rights, that's about it.

I have a flat panel and am limited to 1280x1024 rez. So two GT's won't be any faster than a single GT. I don't care about getting 200fps. It's wasted. I will never see the difference and it is just wasted cash.

By the time a game comes out that needs more than a GT to play it, I won't want to add a second GT, but rather spend the same amount of money on a newer card that would be faster and better than two older SLI cards anyway...

You pay $150 for a new SLI mobo today, and $400 for a GT. Then next year you pay another $250 for a second GT. That's $800, unless your PSU is not up to it, and then you get to add another $75 or more to the cost...

Meanwhile, I have a GT, and in a year, I just buy whatever new card is out.

In the end, same money, so there is no real benefit to SLI. In the old days, going SLI made the difference of you being able to game at 1024 instead of 800. But that is not the case today...

Cinders
01-04-05, 12:00 PM
SquireSCA you are spot-on!... That makes a lot of sense!....

SLI is definately off my list. I'm going to stick to what I have now, play my games and maybe upgrade to the next GFX card thats out in 6 months time...

SH64
01-04-05, 12:05 PM
I have a flat panel and am limited to 1280x1024 rez. So two GT's won't be any faster than a single GT.

Yes its not good for you , but for others with monitors that supports up to 2048x1536 .. it will make a difference .
i for one play all my games @1600x1200 & the performance isnt all that good with my current 6800GT . so an SLI will be a great addition for me indeed .

SquireSCA
01-04-05, 12:07 PM
SquireSCA you are spot-on!... That makes a lot of sense!....

SLI is definately off my list. I'm going to stick to what I have now, play my games and maybe upgrade to the next GFX card thats out in 6 months time...

Well, I am certainly not one to talk about spending money on computer upgrades that really are not neccessary. I once looked at my Newegg history and saw about $5,800 worth of purchases over an 18 month period... LOL

But things have changed, and I have seen how much money you can spend on things that don't realy offer you anything other than bragging rights to a small group of people in internet computer forums.

Nobody can tell me that playing a game on an SLI rig is any better than on a single card solution, unless it is a rare case of that person playing a specific game like Doom 3 on a 23" flat panel or something that uses 2048 rez or whatever, with all the FSAA cranked up.

I don't know anybody that games over 1600x1200, and any current high end card can handle that with ease... I use 1280x1024 4xFSAA 16xAniso in every game that I play, and it is smooth as hell. And I don't mean "mostly smooth" or "tolerable", but great frame rates...

SLI is overkill. It is more marketing hype than benefit for 99.99% of gamers...

SquireSCA
01-04-05, 12:09 PM
Yes its not good for you , but for others with monitors that supports up to 2048x1536 .. it will make a difference .
i for one play all my games @1600x1200 & the performance isnt all that good with my current 6800GT . so an SLI will be a great addition for me indeed .

Perhaps, but there is only so much that I am willing to spend on kid's games though. I game, but I am not dropping $1300 just for an SLI board and twin 6800U's to play a stupid game.

And I would be interested to see a poll of people with SLI, and see how many actually play games at 2048 rez...

SH64
01-04-05, 12:13 PM
And I would be interested to see a poll of people with SLI, and see how many actually play games at 2048 rez...

You wont see much .. because current video cards cant handle the latest games at that res yet ..even with SLI i believe games like FC/D3/HL2 wont be perfectly playable @2048 .. but for the current High res which is 1600x1200 .. i'm sure it will make a noticable difference esp when you add 4x/6x/8xAA & 16xAF to the mixture .

jAkUp
01-04-05, 12:52 PM
I game at 1600x1200 2x/4x in almost all games. I want to be able to run 4x/8x. As it stands right now, it runs ok most of the time, but its definetely not smooth. I don't really consider 30fps smooth anymore. I can totally tell the difference in smoothness.

Also, Cronicles of Riddick, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, FarCry, Hitman 2, could all use some performance enchancements. I have to turn the graphics down on nearly all of them. They might not support SLI right now, but I'm sure they will soon.

You also better believe that developers know that SLI is in the mix and will have an "Ultra Super Quality" mode for us small group of SLI users. Especially the TWIMTBP partners. They know if they have kickass graphics, they will get a sale from nearly all SLI users. Its all about getting the most from the games that are coming up. There are quite a few games I am looking forward to.

BladeRunner
01-04-05, 12:55 PM
Perhaps, but there is only so much that I am willing to spend on kid's games though. I game, but I am not dropping $1300 just for an SLI board and twin 6800U's to play a stupid game.

What's the point in SLI?...

That was the question asked, and if you'd read the replies from those that actually have SLI you'd have a clue why. Fine it's not for you if you are happy with your rigs performance, but this wasn't about what you can afford or want to spend. There IS a valid reason for buying SLI now, and as I said before there would be a reason for something 2x or 4x faster than SLI...... to me at least. If you are happy with current performance on a non SLI system then I'm happy for you, try to appreciate we are not all you :D

There will hopefully always be some percentage of people that want faster than the fastest available, if not companies wouldn't bother pushing the tech, and we would all be stuck on software rendering at 640 x 480....... so be glad we want to "waste our money"

*edit* jAkUp you up and running yet?

jAkUp
01-04-05, 01:00 PM
Not yet :) waiting on my bracket for my cpu... I cant wait any longer so today I'm gonna pick up just a stock air cooler. Even at stock speeds this thing should kill ;)