PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Xbox 2 Patent

GamerGuyX
01-04-05, 02:26 PM
Well instead of me talking about it, just read about it HERE (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7421/Xbox-2-Patent/)

http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/hardware/xbox2patent_01.gif

Any thoughts? Comments?

|MaguS|
01-04-05, 02:36 PM
Saturn all over again...

Edge
01-04-05, 02:52 PM
Sounds interesting...but it's hard to tell how it will turn out until we actually see how it's implimented. I wonder how that thing will run Unreal Engine 3...

LiquidX
01-04-05, 03:01 PM
Was reading up on it a couple days ago and its very interesting. MS is taking Next XBox even closer to the PC. If it does support true USB ports like the patent says you will be able ouse the XBox Next controllers on the PC and vice-versa I would guess without modding. XNA should have already proved it but I think we can say the Next XBox will be a true PC hybrid and powerfull at that.

Puts to sleep the question of weather it have a HD this time around. Also portable media drive? I wonder if there talking about where you put the game in or something like Sega's VUE for the DC? Interesting.
[0107] FIG. 13 shows an exemplary gaming system 1300 that can be used to implement the above-described parallel architecture and techniques. It includes a game console 1302 and up to four controllers, as represented by controllers 1304(1) and 1304(2). The game console 1302 is equipped with an internal hard disk drive and a portable media drive 1306. The portable media drive 1306 supports various forms of portable storage media as represented by optical storage disc 1308. Examples of suitable portable storage media include DVD, CD-ROM, game discs, game cartridges, and so forth.

Hmmm sounds like you will be able to use it on your monitor without having to buy some $70 VGA adapter. Great.
[0109] The game console 1302 connects to a television or other display (not shown) via A/V interfacing cables 1320. A power cable 1322 provides power to the game console. The game console 1302 may further be equipped with internal or externally added network capabilities, as represented by the cable or modem connector 1324 to facilitate access to a network, such as a local area network (LAN) or the Internet

Word is this as seen alot more dev time than the XBox. I think MS will be bringing out the nukes this time around. I don't think they would launch it a year early if they didnt intend to. I cant wait, finally another American company since Atari's glory days is in it for the long run. :)

|MaguS|
01-04-05, 03:10 PM
Remember, the patent isn't exactly what the console will be able to accomplish. Its just what they want to patent just incase...

I dout we will see any PC/Console crossover functionality due to profit reasons. Why allow the console to use PC components or vice versa if you can get more profit by forcing people to purchase unique accessories for each system. Remember the biggest draw to hardware companies is accessories and software, they make little profit from the actual console.

Same will go for games and "upgrades", don't count on any cross over ease...

I do think it would be a big mistake if they go with existing technology like they have done with the xbox, while it will make it easy for the console to program with, it could end up being weaker then the unique compition (PS3 & GC2). Both Sony and Nintendo are going with new technology so MS better watch out and plan ahead.

Still, this generation console wars is going to get interesting. Im still waiting for E3 to see what the PS3 will actually be capable of...

LiquidX
01-04-05, 04:07 PM
I dout we will see any PC/Console crossover functionality due to profit reasons. Why allow the console to use PC components or vice versa if you can get more profit by forcing people to purchase unique accessories for each system. Remember the biggest draw to hardware companies is accessories and software, they make little profit from the actual console.

Reason being I think MS will try to push the Next XBox more towards a media center console, a hybrid basically, to embrace PC users. There is already specualtion there will be 2 different versions. Also look at XNA and the fact they want it to be possible for PC and console users to play against each and the many PC ports coming to XBox. I dont see that much profit loss if they can pick up a few PC users who normally wouldn't buy a console or cant afford a powerful PC even though that is becoming a mute point.

I do think it would be a big mistake if they go with existing technology like they have done with the xbox, while it will make it easy for the console to program with, it could end up being weaker then the unique compition (PS3 & GC2). Both Sony and Nintendo are going with new technology so MS better watch out and plan ahead.

Consoles are designed with future in mind and the XBox 2 has been in developement for a long time. The year start on the other consoles I think is proof MS has something up there sleeves and confident of the insides of the Next XBox to take such a risk. We may see the first upgradeable console (actually Sega did this with the 32X addon) or see parts of Long-Horn and the next DX on that thing. We really dont know but I doubt MS is taking the easy road with there billion $$ investment or going the Sega route and high-tailing it. Damn I still feel burnt by them. :mad:

msxyz
01-05-05, 02:17 AM
It seems like a multicore GPU with shared L2 cache. IBM already sells some multicores/multichip based on the PowerPC architecture

The fact that the CPU has to pool data through the GPU's memory interface may cause a performance hit, like in all the rest of UMA designs. Dunno if it's a real problem though. I bet those console are built with ease-of-production and low power requirements in mind.

kev13dd
01-05-05, 02:29 AM
Remember, the patent isn't exactly what the console will be able to accomplish. Its just what they want to patent just incase...

Maybe. But lets see

5 people decides to buy a separate accessory, company makes 100
5 people decide to buy the X-box 2 over PS3 because of the crossover function that PS3 doesn't have

Sure, little profit is made from the actual console. In the situation above, it looks like they made more selling separate stuff

But-

The more consoles out there, the more games bought! You can't have an X-box without games. So the more people that buy consoles, the more peope that buy games, the more money is made. And not just for X-box. If you get to use a fancy new X-box controller on the PC, why not go out and buy a game to test it :D

With crossover, more consoles will sell. Why does ANY console put in features that don't *need* to be there? To make it more appealing than the competition. X-box 2 wants to beat PS3, so you better not count out crossover and features that you would think they'd keep out for cash reasons. Microsoft probably lost money on the first X-box. Why? Because they did everything they could, including selling for less than it costs, to beat out the PS2. Right now, all they are probably focusing on, is beating out Sony, without losing too much money. Sure profit is nice, but the profit will be even nicer if when you release your next console, everyone buys it

K

Sazar
01-05-05, 08:31 AM
given many hdtv's come with dvi input's... I am hoping the xbox2 will have a dvi out :cool:

that would make it awesome...

LiquidX
01-06-05, 11:58 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_index.php?

"For the games alone you'd say wow, but the concept of bringing in your music, your media, connecting to the PC, connecting Xbox Live to Messenger makes it a very big deal."

The comments echo earlier suggestions from Microsoft that the Xbox 2 will act as a media centre for your music, movies, videos and photos and be able to share information with your home PC. It's another strong indication that games consoles are set to become far more multifunctional as the next generation dawns.

Sounds good to me.

Nitz Walsh
01-06-05, 02:04 PM
I dout we will see any PC/Console crossover functionality due to profit reasons. Why allow the console to use PC components or vice versa if you can get more profit by forcing people to purchase unique accessories for each system.
MS announced during the XNA launch last year that Xbox2 controllers and peripherals will be plug and play with the PC.

So, scratch your theory. :)

GamerGuyX
01-07-05, 07:00 PM
Bill Gates comments on Xbox 2 (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/577/577825p1.html)

And for you lazy people (:D):

January 6, 2005 - In a recent interview with CNET, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates offered some insight into Xbox 2. Though Gates never mentions specifics on when Xbox 2 will be released or even revealed, he makes it clear that the next Xbox is going to serve a larger role than mere video game console.

Microsoft's primary goal is to broaden its market and Xbox 2 is definitely part of that plan. Gates confirmed Xbox 2 features PC connectivity and that Microsoft's Media Center can "project through Xbox," and added, "that's just the start of what we can do there."

As expected, Xbox 2 is going to expand its reach. Gate promised, "Great video gaming but videogaming for a broader set of people, more communications, more media, more connectivity." This extends to music, media, and greater integration with MSN Messenger.

It's possible that allowing PC connectivity could be an easy way to avoid including a hard drive in the next Xbox. Assuming Xbox allows for speedy content-sharing, the PC could be used for content storage, game customization (maps and skins), and even custom soundtracks.

Gates had nothing else new to say about Xbox 2, but did speak briefly about the rumors that Microsoft is considering entering the handheld realm. It appears plans for an "Xboy" are either non-existent or far from becoming reality. "The fact that Sony's a little distracted with [PSP] may let us do all the better in the next generation," Gates noted.

We'll have more on Xbox 2 as soon as new rumors or information surface.

Minielf
01-10-05, 03:30 AM
American... The way we like it... The greatest nation on earth.. But at the same time the most sad nation... Bunch of silly sueing asswipes... Its so sad... The law and all is so ****ed up... Its not about who is right... but who has the biggest wallet or who is most hurt... So sad..

But still the best companies are american... Walmart(Biggest company in world) MS, coca cola, MacD, and alot of other huge companies that are ONLY held back by law suites and whinning SOABS... Image what MS would be without hackers, virusses, and the crappy stuff that holds them back... They got a huge fine from EU because they had implemented WMP in XP... Seriiously... My grandmother wouldnt have a media player if WMP wasnt integrated... Its just silly... Also the java problem... OMG... ANYBODY can get java free online... Why not save us the trouble and have it ready built in windows...

Its not like Apple and iTunes... Where we HAVE to have itunes to use the Ipod... You can freely get another media player online or on CD if you wish... Windows lets you with ease...

DaveW
01-10-05, 10:16 AM
January 6, 2005 - In a recent interview with CNET, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates offered some insight into Xbox 2. Though Gates never mentions specifics on when Xbox 2 will be released or even revealed, he makes it clear that the next Xbox is going to serve a larger role than mere video game console.

Microsoft's primary goal is to broaden its market and Xbox 2 is definitely part of that plan. Gates confirmed Xbox 2 features PC connectivity and that Microsoft's Media Center can "project through Xbox," and added, "that's just the start of what we can do there."

As expected, Xbox 2 is going to expand its reach. Gate promised, "Great video gaming but videogaming for a broader set of people, more communications, more media, more connectivity." This extends to music, media, and greater integration with MSN Messenger.

It's possible that allowing PC connectivity could be an easy way to avoid including a hard drive in the next Xbox. Assuming Xbox allows for speedy content-sharing, the PC could be used for content storage, game customization (maps and skins), and even custom soundtracks.

Sounds like Bill has a modded XBox (1) at home and ripped off all his ideas from that.

superklye
01-11-05, 01:44 AM
American... The way we like it... The greatest nation on earth.. But at the same time the most sad nation... Bunch of silly sueing asswipes... Its so sad... The law and all is so ****ed up... Its not about who is right... but who has the biggest wallet or who is most hurt... So sad..

But still the best companies are american... Walmart(Biggest company in world) MS, coca cola, MacD, and alot of other huge companies that are ONLY held back by law suites and whinning SOABS... Image what MS would be without hackers, virusses, and the crappy stuff that holds them back... They got a huge fine from EU because they had implemented WMP in XP... Seriiously... My grandmother wouldnt have a media player if WMP wasnt integrated... Its just silly... Also the java problem... OMG... ANYBODY can get java free online... Why not save us the trouble and have it ready built in windows...

Its not like Apple and iTunes... Where we HAVE to have itunes to use the Ipod... You can freely get another media player online or on CD if you wish... Windows lets you with ease...
dude, what the f*ck are you talking about?

GamerGuyX
01-11-05, 02:32 PM
Xbox 2 patent #2 (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7455/Another-Xbox-2-Patent/)

GamerGuyX
01-11-05, 02:33 PM
dude, what the f*ck are you talking about?

Yeah...thats exactly what I was thinking :wtf: