PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Gt

StevePMo
01-04-05, 09:41 PM
last night i installed my EVGA 6800 GT, i used 66.93 drivers, and all seemed well, i ran 3D Mark 03, scored 10586, checked temps immediately after running the benchmark, and temp was 52 c. Played a few games, temps about the same.

then went downstairs to put my "old" 9800XT in my second rig. Got that installed, made sure all was well, then shut her down, came back to my main rig, and saw a grey screen. I thought maybe my system went to sleep mode, but that was not the case. So i rebooted, and saw nothing but a bunch of colored splotches all over the screen, not even a post display, then tried going to safe mode, same result.

Any ideas what my problem may be?
System specs
A7N8X-E Deluxe rex 2
Athlon XP 3200+ Barton
1 Gig PDP ddr 400 in dual channel
Thermaltake Xaser 3 480 Watt PSU
Twin 80 Gig WD 7200 RPM hd

Installed an old TI 4200 i had, and it works flawlessly on the same drivers
And yes, i did run driver cleaner in safe mode after uninstalling the ATI drivers
Also tried re seating the 6800 to no avail :thumbdwn:

MUYA
01-04-05, 10:20 PM
hmm. Did you try rehousing the card back into the slot, check the connections from the DVI connectors etc? or the monitor? If you have done sure to make sure everything physically is proper, I think you might have a dud card.

A picture of it would be more helpfull in diagnosing the problem.

StevePMo
01-04-05, 10:59 PM
i can't take a screenshot, i can't even see to type in my password, right now i have a TI 4200 in my machine , I reseated the card, switched molex connectors, made sure the monitor cable was tight etc.. nothing helped, i can't even see the very beginning of the boot process, as soon as there's a video signal , i get nothing but a bunch of colors all over the screen. The TI 4200 is working flawlessly

MUYA
01-04-05, 11:03 PM
I meant a picture thru the use of a digital camera etc ;) Not a screen shot. :D Does the GT work in your second rig? Have you tried that? Maybe you could try it on a friend's computer etc?

StevePMo
01-04-05, 11:05 PM
hmmm, before i decide to RMA it i'll try it in my other machine, and report back

MUYA
01-04-05, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes man. Hope u get it sorted

StevePMo
01-04-05, 11:06 PM
me too, i was really hyped up about this new card, LOL

MUYA
01-04-05, 11:10 PM
:) Please do report back when you get the problem fixed...or not. I hope the former rather than the latter

Rytr
01-04-05, 11:13 PM
It is a good card just think you had some bad luck. Its happened to me a couple of times with totally different makes of cards but same result, a multi-colored screen. :(

Hope you have better luck!

StevePMo
01-05-05, 06:17 AM
thanks for all the responses guys !!!

NemesisChild
01-05-05, 03:05 PM
It is a good card just think you had some bad luck. Its happened to me a couple of times with totally different makes of cards but same result, a multi-colored screen. :(

Hope you have better luck!

If it looks like a multi-colored braided rug on your screen, then it is more than likely a heat related lock-up. Check to see if the fan is running on the card and tighten the heatsink/fan screws if they're loose. Your GPU may not be making proper contact with the heatsink. There have been many reported problems of new cards (out of the box) with untightened screws, etc.

Rytr
01-05-05, 03:57 PM
Yes, it is usually heat related and if no damage has been done you can recover. In 10 years I have lost two cards, one to a total lockup with temps reading normal and one with temps slightly off. Neither were recoverable. I have had a couple of GF2 cards lockup due to heat (both were fan problems) and after replacing the fans both continued to work. In fact, they are still in working machines today, thanks to replacement blue orbs (Blorbs).

StevePMo
01-05-05, 06:31 PM
i made sure to check that, the fan IS spinning, and i also made sure { when it was actually working } to check temps after running 3D Mark 03, temps were 52c also played a few games for a while, and checked temps again, and still in low 50's c