PDA

View Full Version : Mac/PC Gaming

jnd3
01-05-05, 03:05 PM
Now that I'm getting settled into my PowerBook, I'm finding the urge (often while stranded at the airport) to pop in a game and play away. Being a laptop, FPS-type games are pretty much out of the question. I'd love to get KOTOR for it, but I don't want to spend $50 AGAIN to play it (though I liked it enough that I'd certainly get the extra gameplay out of it). My brother-in-law got me the Warcraft III Battle Chest for Christmas ... I'd put it on my wish list when I discovered that it comes with Mac AND PC binaries on the same CD! It plays great, too -- 1024x768 with all the bells & whistles maxed on the FX5200Go, good sound (especially with headphones), smooth as can be.

Anyone know of any other game companies that bundle Mac binaries with their PC games? I want to support the companies that are doing it, and don't want to shell out money twice for the same game just to have it on a different platform. And are there any other Mac gamers lurking around here?

Ninjaman09
01-05-05, 03:26 PM
I think Blizzard is your one and only friend in this case. Still, Warcraft III is totally badass. You should just play that and master it so you can play on B.net and rush noobs.

yoladude
01-05-05, 09:08 PM
the gamestop in the local mall has a mac section, so you could always check there. theres not a bad selection.

check out the games from here, though:

www.ambrosiasw.com

badass games. especially the escape velocity series.

WeReWoLf
01-05-05, 09:24 PM
don't forget that WOW is also mac ready. Another thing that it has over EQ2

deathBOB
01-05-05, 11:39 PM
Go play the original escape velocity and come back when you defeat the aliens... (hint: Kestrel, ramscoops, afterburner, proton turrets)

best game i ever played...

1337_Like_ThaT
01-06-05, 12:30 AM
You can game on a Mac??? (crazy)

XP_GUN
01-06-05, 12:54 AM
My experince, I went into the mac store to look around and well I found there game shelf 1 shelf I picked up Aliens Vs Predator 2 and said this was a good game then looked at the price OMG $49.99 what a ripoff for what a 4 year old game I could go to Frys and get it for maby $9.99. :eek: .

1337_Like_ThaT
01-06-05, 03:40 AM
My experince, I went into the mac store to look around and well I found there game shelf 1 shelf I picked up Aliens Vs Predator 2 and said this was a good game then looked at the price OMG $49.99 what a ripoff for what a 4 year old game I could go to Frys and get it for maby $9.99. :eek: .

....LOL sadly that game might have just recently been released for Mac not to long ago. ya know, Mac is :lame: like that ;)

faraday
01-06-05, 05:07 AM
Actually its the publishers that are lamme, not the mac.

jolle
01-06-05, 09:39 AM
I could imagine a few of the coming titles based on Doom III engine might go Mac..
Doom III did right? or will..

anyhow, this might be nice or helpful or something...
http://www.macgamer.com/
http://www.insidemacgames.com/

aAv7
01-06-05, 10:01 AM
doom 3 is ready for mac-I think a mac demo of it has been released....I remember seeing UT2K4 in best buy for mac, so there's that.....like said above wow and wc3....and well...uhm....i dunno much else....try a google search mac+ghey+gaming and see what comes up =) J/k.

NWCook
01-06-05, 10:17 AM
When Steve Jobs is talking up Bionicle as a major release at the MacWorld expo you know things are bad on the Mac gaming front.

www.macgamer.com
www.macgamefiles.com

Seoulstriker
01-06-05, 10:30 AM
I have a crapload of games for the mac from about 1999-2002. They should run incredibly well on your machine. I'll hopefully remember to get a list when I get back to school, but some memorables include Myth I/Myth II (BEST GAME EVAR!), unreal tournament (and now UT2004). Please, go out and buy UT2004! Such a great game. :)

jnd3
01-06-05, 11:38 AM
The problem isn't the availability of Mac games ... I know I could go by Knights of the Old Republic or Raven Shield or Doom 3 or Homeworld 2 or Halo or Civilization 3 for the Mac ... but then I'm essentially paying double for games I already bought for the PC.

Thanks for the pointers to the various websites. I've got Warcraft III, and I picked it up expressly because it was both Mac and PC in the same box for one price. If ever I get into mmorpg, World of Warcraft will be it. Until then, I've been checking the pre-owned rack at GameStop and EB Games for some cheap Mac stuff. Given that it's a laptop, I'll probably stick to strategy or RPG style games.

(And to answer one question: yes, you can game on a Mac. Quite well, actually. Warcraft III is silky smooth, the UT2004 demo ran quite nicely. :))