PDA

View Full Version : Most popular online FPS? Will there be UT2k5?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Parts
01-05-05, 09:35 PM
I usually play BF1942 but the online population has dropped a lot in the last while, not as many high player servers... was wonderin where everyone went and what theyre all playing now?

Was also thinking of getting UT2k4 for like $30, but if a UT2k5 is coming out, then I wont bother, I dont wanna get it if its not gonna be highly populated for very long.. Plus a big part of getting it would be mods.

Mr. Hunt
01-05-05, 10:41 PM
Counter Strike is still the most popular game.... get HL2 and you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a Counter Strike Source server anytime of the day/night.

WeReWoLf
01-05-05, 11:03 PM
hear hear. CS:S is alot of fun, Even if it is the same maps repeated over and over. MORE MAPS PLEASE! That being said, CS:S is definately catching up fast with the original CS, which still boasts the most players online.

deathBOB
01-05-05, 11:36 PM
YOu should play forgotten hope...

Parts
01-06-05, 02:18 AM
So UT2k4 isnt something I should pick up?

wshadow
01-06-05, 02:44 AM
counter-strike is the ONLY reason why cyber cafes are so profitable

MX/MX400
01-06-05, 02:50 AM
CS:S and Tribes Vengeance are the two most fun online shooters I've ever played.

Darkoz
01-06-05, 03:13 AM
So UT2k4 isnt something I should pick up?

You should definitely buy UT2004.
As far as I'm concerned nothing even comes close to playing UT2004 on-line.
The maps are varied, especially the custom maps, the game and engine itself is polished, solid and well proven.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-06-05, 03:43 AM
counter-strike is the ONLY reason why cyber cafes are so profitable

I second that notion...Having no Counter Strike in a cyber cafe would be like having no beer at a sports bar!!! :eek:

You should still purchase UTK2004 though, awesome game and very addictive. Just takes alot of skillz and practice to rank #1 at it, as does any game

msxyz
01-06-05, 04:36 AM
CS and UT2004 have a very different gameplay. CS is a tactical FPS: 1 shot and you'll join the waiting queue. QUT2k4 is the latest and greates of the "doom" type FPS. Fast paced, brutal and straightforward.

Meh, I can stand CS while I could spend nights asleep playing UT (and that's what I'm doing since december '99)

superklye
01-06-05, 08:51 AM
I don't think there is going to be anymore UTs until Unreal 3 comes out.

jbirney
01-06-05, 09:27 AM
UT2k4 also has a Ton of mods to help make the gameplay worth it. If you get the ECE version you get almost 100 maps, bunch of gametypes, great mods and the most current version (so you dont have to play the patch game). Its a great value for the content.

However I do enjoy playing CS:S :)

|JuiceZ|
01-06-05, 09:38 AM
I don't think there is going to be anymore UTs until Unreal 3 comes out.

ATM there is no Unreal 3 the "game", its UE3. Also IIRC, Epic said their next released title unfortunately not be fps-based.

aAv7
01-06-05, 10:04 AM
I think everyone is playing CS and CS:S-both suck imo. HL2 DM is where the fun is! UT2K4 is also great and from what I read there will be no ut2k5...

Seoulstriker
01-06-05, 10:27 AM
Buy UT2k4. It is THE multiplayer game of the year for 2004. I highly recommend it. Check out the reviews, TRY out the demo! Onslaught mode is simply phenomenal. :)

Sazar
01-06-05, 10:52 AM
cs:s is the most popular currently and it keeps getting more people joining everyday...

ut2k4 is a different ballgame and certainly a heck of a lot of fun :)

both are recommended...

Ninjaman09
01-06-05, 10:54 AM
You all suck, I can't believe none of you have mentioned the best online FPS ever - Call of Duty: United Offensive. It's way better than UT2K4 and Counter-Strike, and it has 2 awesome single player games (original CoD & expansion). If you own a PC capable of running it and call yourself a PC gamer, you should have a copy of Call of Duty.

Riptide
01-06-05, 10:58 AM
The two best IMO are CS:S and UT2004. Totally different styles ofcourse. I've found them both to be rather habit forming. CS:S in particular - very difficult to put down unless you're really getting your arse handed to you. CS:S is much more challenging IMO as far as getting high up on the kill/death ratio because you die so easily.

FWIW, I've seen more questionable BS with CS:S than UT2004 however. Several times now I've had my gun pointed right at someone, close range, and had them kill me even though I put at least 4-5 shots right at their head. Ridiculous, but it does happen from time to time.

Sazar
01-06-05, 11:39 AM
yah cs:s has some messed up h.s. hitboxes :(

other than that though it is really awesome... the effects running the game are spectacular v/s regular cs :D

wrt shooting... factor in the kick every shot... it was the same issue I had with cs as well on occasion... it becomes less of an issue the more you get used to the physics of the game...

|JuiceZ|
01-06-05, 11:51 AM
The two best IMO are CS:S and UT2004. Totally different styles ofcourse. I've found them both to be rather habit forming. CS:S in particular - very difficult to put down unless you're really getting your arse handed to you. CS:S is much more challenging IMO as far as getting high up on the kill/death ratio because you die so easily.

FWIW, I've seen more questionable BS with CS:S than UT2004 however. Several times now I've had my gun pointed right at someone, close range, and had them kill me even though I put at least 4-5 shots right at their head. Ridiculous, but it does happen from time to time.

Yup you ain't joking Rip. The hitboxes are still a bit off but its getting better. The more you play the easier it gets after getting a feel for how each weapon sprays. Going from UT2k4 to CS:S takes some getting used to thats for sure, heh.

Sorrow
01-06-05, 11:54 AM
UT2k4's deathmatch IMO is nowhere near as fun as HL2dm, that's just me. Maybe because i like the gravity gun and shooting people with toilets with the gravity gun. But for a good game, definately buy the HL2 bronze pack, get all the newst games using source engine, im patiently awaiting DoD Source, it's lookin f'ing sweet right now, can't wait till they release it. Though CSS isn't as hectic, it sure is a hell of a lot of fun to play, graphics are better IMO in it too. It takes me strategy in CSS than it does in ut2k4, though, that's because ut is a DM game and Source is a group based "swat" style game.......the physics and environments are better than ut2k4 no doubt.

Sazar
01-06-05, 11:57 AM
Yup you ain't joking Rip. The hitboxes are still a bit off but its getting better. The more you play the easier it gets after getting a feel for how each weapon sprays. Going from UT2k4 to CS:S takes some getting used to thats for sure, heh.

too many h.s.'s still and the awm being one shot kill is still poopy :(

moving it to 80-90 damage for non h.s's would be ace with the current hitbox situation...

Nutty
01-06-05, 01:12 PM
I love CS 1.6, hate CS:S. Too laggy, jerky on the net for me.
And yeah CS would be soo much better with HS removed.

Loved the UT2K4 demo, will prolly pick up a copy soon as me christmas cheques clear :)

Parts
01-06-05, 01:48 PM
Yeah ive played the UT2k4 new demo, 3334 I think it is... and its fun... was wonderin if a 2k5 was coming out which would destroy the 2k4 server population soon.. but thanks for lettin me know, I think ill pick it up, since I like the demo so much. and if its in the budget HL2/CSS aswell.

Thanks for having a discussion on it, helps me spend money wisely.

msxyz
01-06-05, 02:01 PM
Tere are rumors floating since the first UT came out about "Unreal Warfare" a game supposed to be a mix of RTS and FPS with RPG elements (or maybe its none of the afore mentioned :P ). Rumors said the development was halted because no current engine was capable of supporting this game.

There's a good chance that, whatever Unreal Warfare was, we'll find oout by the end of 2006.