PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts on 6800 Ultra

keith33
01-06-05, 06:15 PM
First off, let me excuse myself for putting another thread about my problemed rig. As some of you may remember this would crash in CS Source all the time and it still continues to do so. I could have lived with that, but I am getting Artifacts now in ALL games, and they're not negligable either, big ONES! I've used this same video card for my P4 rig which worked fine, so it's not the video card! I have tried 61.77, 66.93, 67.02, 67.03 drivers for the video card. I've tried the nforce drivers on my disk, the latest WHQL ones, and the 6.14 beta ones. Have tried all different AGP aperture sizes from 64 to 512mb and have fast writes off. Disabled the DEP bit. Ran memtest and my memory is FINE. I also get BSODs within minutes of exiting DirectX apps. Will someone please explain to me what is going on?!

Salamandar
01-06-05, 06:20 PM
What is your PSU ?

keith33
01-06-05, 06:31 PM
I have an OCZ Modstream 520W (which I think is more than adequate for the job)

kahloq
01-06-05, 07:12 PM
Have you flashed your bios with a voltage mod? Have you had it OC'd extremely high? Check to make sure the fan is running.

Salamandar
01-06-05, 07:20 PM
If you have so much troubles with your VGA card and you know that your system has nothing wrong with it then RMA your card.

keith33
01-06-05, 08:34 PM
OMG WOW! I just opened up RivaTuner after a reformat and realized my video card is set to 454mhz core and 1280mhz mem... i set it down and it made a difference, now for some reason the core and mem default are those mentioned above. I tried flashing the latest XFX bios as well (same version as mine but hopefully set everything to default) but it's still at 454 core and 1280 mem... how do i fix this? should i try another bios?

Salamandar
01-06-05, 08:41 PM
OMG WOW! I just opened up RivaTuner after a reformat and realized my video card is set to 454mhz core and 1280mhz mem... i set it down and it made a difference, now for some reason the core and mem default are those mentioned above. I tried flashing the latest XFX bios as well (same version as mine but hopefully set everything to default) but it's still at 454 core and 1280 mem... how do i fix this? should i try another bios?

let me get this straight..........................your 6800 Ultra was 454MHz out of the Box !!!!!!

OK, did you try coolbits to set the speed to 400/1100.

Or maybe you can edit the same Bios on your XFX, just make a backup then edit it with any Bios editor that works for Nvidia based cards, edit the speed to 400/1100 and then save it and flash your card with it. ( make a another copy of your original Bios in case something goes wrong)

keith33
01-06-05, 08:54 PM
NO, it was always 425, 1200, but today suddenly (well i'm assuming for awhile) the BIOS defaults are 454, 1280. Guaranteed this is causing all my screw ups. Now what the hell is going on? When I open up the OmniExtreme Editor, it says 425, 1200.... but when I flash it to the card, RivaTuner or coolbits both say 454, 1280... I'm downclocking to 424, 1200 NOW, but why isn't it default???

Morn
01-06-05, 09:02 PM
See what happens if you edit bios to 400/1100.

keith33
01-06-05, 09:12 PM
See what happens if you edit bios to 400/1100.
Ok funny thing, now it says default is 428 and 1180... is it pulling these numbers out of my @$$ or is this stupid msi board overclocking somehow? any ideas?

kahloq
01-06-05, 09:32 PM
Well just try using Coolbits to set the speed to 400/1200 or whatever you want and tell it to apply and check the box for apply these settings at startup. The only time it should revert to default, regardless of what the default is set at, is when you install a different set of drivers. Make sure you set both the 2D and 3D to what you want(lower then 454/1280).
My 6800U can do 461/1280, but I never leave it there. I usually run mine at 443/1200.

keith33
01-06-05, 09:43 PM
Well it was a BIOS setting in this MSI worthless piece of junk (at least from my experience so far lol). Changed it, and clockrates are now normal. That said, I still get the Memory Error in HL2 after about 10 minutes of smooth gameplay. Hmmn, no idea what to do about it.

Salamandar
01-06-05, 10:20 PM
To be honest with you ( and it is not flaming or trolling or changing subjects ) I hate MSI, I've seen their products while in my work in one of the local PC assemblers in the country I'm in and I have to tell you, I don't trust them at all, I've seen mother boards from MSI with leaking capacitors, others with dead EDIE and Dead SATA ports, other that do over voltage to CPU and cause them to burn over time and also they have a high rate of DOA.

Though I was going to buy an MSI 6800GT until a friend of mine got his and after 3 weeks it died.

But hey this is not our subject, seems that I got drifted a little.. errrrr I mean a lot.
Good thing that your card is working now.

:)

keith33
01-07-05, 12:10 AM
All flames aside, my next board will certainly not be an MSI one. All my games are working now except HL2, and I think that's just an engine problem from Valve's end (a lot of people get that memory hex error). If you have a fix for that, please post, for you will be my hero for the next 6 months lol. Thanks to everyone that helped out with the artifact thing, but whoa, who would have expected the mobo to dynamically jack up the GPU core without proper labelling "Optimized Performance" - WTF does that mean lol? and it was on by default :thumbdwn:

nIghtorius
01-07-05, 07:00 PM
All flames aside, my next board will certainly not be an MSI one. All my games are working now except HL2, and I think that's just an engine problem from Valve's end (a lot of people get that memory hex error). If you have a fix for that, please post, for you will be my hero for the next 6 months lol. Thanks to everyone that helped out with the artifact thing, but whoa, who would have expected the mobo to dynamically jack up the GPU core without proper labelling "Optimized Performance" - WTF does that mean lol? and it was on by default :thumbdwn:

the Asus A8V is also known to jack up the core/mem speed of graphiccards... but with the latest BIOS'ses of the A8V it won't do this anymore. (had to update my BIOS to get my 6800GT running stable (which hates OC'ing probably).

Lfctony
01-08-05, 12:39 AM
I was 100% sure its your mobo. The settings in the ram page actually overclock the video card when set to performance. Then I read that you spotted it. Happened with my 9800 Pro. I didn't know what the hell was going on, my card would overheat out of nowhere. Find out eventually. Glad you solved it. :)

cdxx
02-21-05, 11:18 AM
I'm a total nub so please excuse my llack of knowledge.

I have a BFG 6800 GT OC and I overclocked it to a setting I can't remember right at the moment but it wasn't very high. It worked great for about a month or so. But recently I've been getting very strange artifacting and in some cases total system lockups.

is there a way to set the card back to system defaults. I unstalled the NV Tweak utility but for some reason I'm still getting the artifacting. Does removing the drivers set the card back to factory default?

Please help as I can't play any games without my card getting really wacked out.

thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. somehow my card was sharring power with my hard drives so i set it up as it's own and it's working great again.