PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Original memory sticks = TCCD?

Hyperspam
01-06-05, 07:26 PM
I recently purchased parts for a AMD64 rig for a friend of mine and bought two 512 MB sticks of Samsung Original memory for it. It was very cheap and is rated 3-3-3-8. Well, I was tweaking the rig today and I noticed the memory chips on the modules state TCCC and now i'm wondering if this is the same chips that sit on the new wave of highly overclockable memory, A-DATA, PQI, G.Skill and all those.

I've seen those brands referred to as both TCCD and TCCCD packaging so i'm not sure if there's any relation to the Samsung Original sticks or if the TCCC label indicates a model below the TCCD (6 ns vs. 5 ns?). Can't find anything but TSOP on Samsung's site so i'm not sure how to read the part numbers.

Anyone have these or know about them?

saturnotaku
01-06-05, 07:35 PM
TCCC is the older revision. TCCD is the newer stuff that's overclockable. However, if you read this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43524) and the links contained therein, you'll see that the uber-high performance memory only makes a real difference when comparing Sandra scores. It hardly does anything for games. The stuff you purchased should be more than adequate.

superklye
01-06-05, 07:59 PM
TCCC is the older revision. TCCD is the newer stuff that's overclockable. However, if you read this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43524) and the links contained therein, you'll see that the uber-high performance memory only makes a real difference when comparing Sandra scores. It hardly does anything for games. The stuff you purchased should be more than adequate.
So what you're saying is that the CAS 2 memory is only faster in Sandra benchies and isn't worth the money over CAS 3 stuff? Or did I misread that...?

Hyperspam
01-06-05, 07:59 PM
I see, thanks for the quick answer. I'm not going to overclock my friends machine but I was thinking of getting a stick myself and pairing it with my two existing sticks (I tested it and it manages to run dual-channel fine) but even though I know the difference is minimal, it seems like a waste not being able to run 2-2-2-5 timings anymore. (Or well, going up to 3-3-3-8 is atleast a relativily big leap)

saturnotaku
01-06-05, 08:14 PM
So what you're saying is that the CAS 2 memory is only faster in Sandra benchies and isn't worth the money over CAS 3 stuff? Or did I misread that...?

Read the benchmark results contained in the Anandtech forum post that Juice linked to in his opening post of the thread I refered to above.

superklye
01-06-05, 11:43 PM
Okay, I just finished reading that...and wow. I think I'll save the $80 extra the Patriot XBLK is and just get the 1GB Corsair CAS 2.5 PC3200 Value RAM for like $140 on NewEgg.