PDA

View Full Version : Man Nintendo wasnt the second coming of Christ.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ChrisRay
01-06-05, 10:39 PM
But according to the old CEO of Nintendo they were. This company/and guy has a got lot of audacity in his opinions/beliefs and this mentality that killed nintendo IMO.

http://www.gamerah.com/noticias.php?bias=180#180

P.S. Hmm I just read this article was fake. Which is good. Cuz I was angry :rolleyes:

GamerGuyX
01-06-05, 10:53 PM
P.S. Hmm I just read this article was fake. Which is good. Cuz I was angry :rolleyes:

:D

Elderblaze
01-07-05, 12:26 AM
Killed Nintendo eh? Last i checked they where doing pretty good hehe.

Regards,
Mike

ChrisRay
01-07-05, 02:53 AM
Killed Nintendo eh? Last i checked they where doing pretty good hehe.

Regards,
Mike

In the console market? Sure they have the hand held market and the pokemon franchise. But their console is hardly worth writing home about. It has a few good games. But I cant see a reason to really buy one over the options available.

msxyz
01-07-05, 04:10 AM
And with the PSP they'll probably loose the only niche market they still control

Rakeesh
01-07-05, 04:21 AM
Well they still have pokemon, unless digimon or monster rancher suddenly become popular. (actually come to think of it I think both of those are exclusively playstation titles)

sytaylor
01-07-05, 04:27 AM
Fakedy fake fake fake...

besides MUYA posted it 3 days ago in the open forum :p

I got my hands on a PSP yesterday btw, in a local game/import shop here in Leeds. Only for about 30 seconds, the guy in the store was giving me funny looks and looked nervous. The buttons felt a little small compared to the dual shock, but my GOD that screen is nice.

Elderblaze
01-07-05, 04:36 AM
I meant they sold enough units to turn a profit. There are many good titles for gamecube as well, though im not a console gamer, Metroid Echo's got huge acclaimjust recently, there where quite a few big releases in oct/nov/dec. Many even said Echo's was better then Halo 2. The handheld market.. we'll just have to wait and see. I don't see many parents buying timmy psp's, just too damn expensive and big. Like it or not, kids are the majority of the handheld market.

The Gamecube also has better profit margins then ps2/xbox, nintendo makes more per unit sold.

Regards,
Mike

sytaylor
01-07-05, 05:18 AM
Thats because Xbox's certainly and possibly the new PS2's although I'm not sure, are sold at a loss, and the difference is recovered in software sales.

LiquidX
01-07-05, 07:58 AM
The GameCube is great system just like the N64 but just like that system only games made by nintendo and few others have trully done the system justice. The other systems have for more varity and games. Also some would miss out on a great system because they think it's for kids but I dont. One of my favorite system with the best exclusives. Also I remember reading Nintendo loses nothing when it sells a cube and could sell it for $50 and still not lose anything.

Parts
01-07-05, 12:22 PM
Yeah people under estimate the graphics processor in the Gamecube, if you look at its top games its right up there with the other consoles (well maybe stuck between Xbox and PS2 so its kinda the mid graphics console) their only problem is bad development of games. exclusives like RE4 and the Metroid series are what keep people interested, and surprise hits like Viewtiful Joe help too.... its very affordable and who cares if it doesnt have online play, the good games are still fun.

Elderblaze
01-07-05, 12:55 PM
eh? if your refering to the cube's graphics performance (somthing i was not even talking about) it's squarely above the PS2 in power, but below Xbox. This dosent have anything to do with the thread though.

Regards,
Mike

Rakeesh
01-07-05, 01:19 PM
I remember all kinds of people predicting that the xbox would never sell at all. Nowadays all of those people seem to insist that nintendo will never go out of the hardware business :D

IMO the moment that microsoft decided to enter the console business, nintendo's fate was sealed. I get the feeling that their next console will end up like the sega dreamcast: it'll have a few good games and a massive "cult" following, but it just wont last in the market. Since they own lots of trademarks like mario, starfox, metroid, zelda, etc, they'll become a software company.

I know that a certain nintendo exec insisted that the day they leave the console business is the same day that they leave the video game industry, but that won't hold true. They are a publicly traded company, they listen to their stockholders, and their stockholders would end up booting the guy if he just allowed their long standing (and valuable) trademarks to go stagnant.

Marcos
01-07-05, 01:45 PM
gamecube games are kiddie. Nintendo handheld is kept alive by games that are 10 years old. Ill still play em.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-07-05, 01:54 PM
gamecube games are kiddie. Nintendo handheld is kept alive by games that are 10 years old. Ill still play em.

S*** only 10 years old?? LOL I could recall Zelda from back in the 80's :nana: But now Nintendo needs help from some of their previous rivals like Sonic to boost marketing sales :)

aAv7
01-07-05, 03:17 PM
I remember all kinds of people predicting that the xbox would never sell at all. Nowadays all of those people seem to insist that nintendo will never go out of the hardware business :D

IMO the moment that microsoft decided to enter the console business, nintendo's fate was sealed. I get the feeling that their next console will end up like the sega dreamcast: it'll have a few good games and a massive "cult" following, but it just wont last in the market. Since they own lots of trademarks like mario, starfox, metroid, zelda, etc, they'll become a software company.

I know that a certain nintendo exec insisted that the day they leave the console business is the same day that they leave the video game industry, but that won't hold true. They are a publicly traded company, they listen to their stockholders, and their stockholders would end up booting the guy if he just allowed their long standing (and valuable) trademarks to go stagnant.

I agree, I loved nes, and snes....but they've fallen hard since. Nintendo is a rare " 2 hit wonder " ....it was easier back in the days of 8-bit and 16-bit, nintendo had every developer known to the industry and lured them with the huge user base, unfortunately, they treated every developer like sh*t and ripped them off on the license fees and what not to develop on their console....

You have to remember in 1992 there were ALOT more exclusives....these days when a developer makes a game its on ps2, xbox, gba, cell phones...etc..they cash-in....so in 1992 when snes had square exclusive, rare, and their own first party titles....they had a nice stack of titles to rest on. I bring this up because these days, even if the next nintendo system gets every developer back-it doesnt matter, these days most "exclusive" titles are first party games-and nintendo went from having the best 1st party line to the worst-they didnt evolve characters or stories...just stuck with the same formula, how many zelda games on how many systems had you fight gannon at the end of the game? How many Mario games involved saving the princess because of bowser? I don't think it's the "kid" image that hurt them, it's their refusal to evolve as a company with the times. Their still stuck in 1992, over-charging developers, giving them attitude, making it pretty much useless to work on their console, in the meantime they run to their precious first party games and give us the same story and characters, with new graphics....it's enough for some...like the new generation of 15 year olds who never played mario world for snes....but for people like me who are in their middle 20's and have played it all....were waiting for something different...and nintendo seems to be too stubborn...or too big headed to change. Either way-they did this to themselves, and they set a great example for future companies, do the opposite of the big N and you'll succeed. ;)

Vagrant Zero
01-07-05, 04:03 PM
Nintendo is on its last leg. I forsee the death of Revolution.

Elderblaze
01-07-05, 04:32 PM
You guys are joking. Just because you dont' like Nintendo or what they are doing, dosent mean the rest of the world dosent. Im no Nintendo/Sony/Xbox fanboy I don't play consoles at all, so I can look at it more subjectivly. They are the #2 console as far as hardware sold in the US. They are ahead of xbox, and I beleive by a fair margin. They are completly uncontested in the handheld market, the GBA SP has sold over 1.5 million units. And their first party titles are doing extremly well. Wind Waker sold 600k in pre-orders alone. Put down the crack pipe folks, regardless of rather you like them or not, they are doing fine.

Regards,
Mike

FYI, nintendo posted profits of 570 million last quarter, and are worth 12.8 billion. Oh yeah, they are sure hurting...
:rolleyes:

aAv7
01-07-05, 04:41 PM
You guys are joking. Just because you dont' like Nintendo or what they are doing, dosent mean the rest of the world dosent. Im no Nintendo/Sony/Xbox fanboy I don't play consoles at all, so I can look at it more subjectivly. They are the #2 console as far as hardware sold in the US. They are ahead of xbox, and I beleive by a fair margin. They are completly uncontested in the handheld market, the GBA SP has sold over 1.5 million units. And their first party titles are doing extremly well. Wind Waker sold 600k in pre-orders alone. Put down the crack pipe folks, regardless of rather you like them or not, they are doing fine.

Regards,
Mike

FYI, nintendo posted profits of 570 million last quarter, and are worth 12.8 billion. Oh yeah, they are sure hurting...
:rolleyes:

You're joking right? 600K in pre-orders? BFD. Show me 1.5 million like Halo 2...that's something to gloat about. All were saying is Nintendo isnt what it used to be, and that is very obvious to see. Compare the snes to gamecube and need I say more.

Sure they are making a profit now, lets see how much they make when revolution comes out-every new system puts that console maker in the red......heck m$ is still losing money hand over foot with xbox. They admitted the HD was too expensive of an idea which is why xbox 2 wont have one...Nintendo is done. Not because we say so, but because it's obvious. When u walk into a video game store and see 17 shelves of xbox titles and ps2 titles and 2 shelves of gamecube titles...I think that says something...and not " damn are we making money"

Elderblaze
01-07-05, 05:00 PM
LOL. You go by how many games are on the shelf, wooo that really tells you alot. Ok bud you stick with your method of sucess, i'll stick to the cold hard numbers. Btw the DS is already a run away hit, over 500k Units sold in the US. And 230k in japan on LAUNCH DAY. Your definition of "Done" must be "Financially sucessful and doing very well, but no longer the market leader" if that is what you mean by done, you are correct Nintendo is very "Done"

This is hilarious, keep it coming. Somthing interesting to note is Sony only posted around 5.8 Billion profits last quarter, approxmiaty 10x more then Nintendo, which is a small company that only makes Video games, Sony makes so much electronics. I'd say Nintendo is doing very well
considering.

And your comment about 1.5 Million Halo 2 units sold, haha how many Halo 2 games(Triple A, 1st party titles) are there for Xbox? Uhh.. like 5 maybe int he history of the cosole. Halo 1, Halo 2.. and hmm I dunno?

There are many Triple a's for nintendo, all the new mario, zelda, and metroid games. And everyone of them had 500k preorders.

Regards,
Mike

Buenamos
01-07-05, 05:07 PM
LOL. You go by how many games are on the shelf, wooo that really tells you alot. Ok bud you stick with your method of sucess, i'll stick to the cold hard numbers.

where are your resources to back up the gamecube beating the xbox in the US? BTW, I sold my PS2 for a GC and still play xbox regularly.

And your comment about 1.5 Million Halo 2 units sold, haha how many Halo 2 games(Triple A, 1st party titles) are there for Xbox? Uhh.. like 5 maybe int he history of the cosole. Halo 1, Halo 2.. and hmm I dunno?

There are many Triple a's for nintendo, all the new mario, zelda, and metroid games. And everyone of them had 500k preorders.

That is true, but you make it sound like we are saying that Nintendo is dead, we're not saying that. Then you try to make it sound like XBOX is hurting b/c it doesnt have as many triple A titles as GC? Maybe it's just me but you're over exaggerating big time and I bet alone Halo 1 and Halo 2's sales account for all GC's triple A profits.

All we're saying is that Nintendo's share of the console market has DRASTICALLY gone down.

Elderblaze
01-07-05, 05:11 PM
Just because nintendo had a monopoly on the video console market in the 80's and early 90's and no longer does, dosent mean they can't be compeitive and profitible in todays/tomorrow's market. That idea is ridiculous. Ford used to have a strangle hold on cars, they don't anymore, there is much compeition in that market, and they are not dead. The same can be said for 100's of differnt products and markets, especially with new technology, IBM had a strangle hold on the PC market until the "Clones" Came out, did that destroy IBM? Your argument is ridiculous.

Regarding the XBOX, i don't have any numbers on hand, i'll admit it's been awhile since i've seen any real xbox numbers, however I know for a fact cube sold more launch units, by a fair bit. I could look the information up, but I have to goto work now, i'll be back to continue this silly discussion later. If nintendo hasent self imploded by the time I return /laugh

Regards,
Mike

aAv7
01-07-05, 05:14 PM
LOL. You go by how many games are on the shelf, wooo that really tells you alot. Ok bud you stick with your method of sucess, i'll stick to the cold hard numbers. Btw the DS is already a run away hit, over 500k Units sold in the US. And 230k in japan on LAUNCH DAY. Your definition of "Done" must be "Financially sucessful and doing very well, but no longer the market leader" if that is what you mean by done, you are correct Nintendo is very "Done"

This is hilarious, keep it coming. Somthing interesting to note is Sony only posted around 5.8 Billion profits last quarter, approxmiaty 10x more then Nintendo, which is a small company that only makes Video games, Sony makes so much electronics. I'd say Nintendo is doing very well
considering.

Regards,
Mike

I never said Nintendo was financially unstable. I said their product was stale and cant be saved.

You're right, xbox doesnt have many first party titles, nintendo does....but u said triple a nintendo titles, and I'm sorry, but aside from metroid prime and animal crossing, i havent played any triple a titles on cube. I've played franchises that used to be triple a and fell apart ( mario sunshine anyone? windwaker?)

DS is doing exteremly well, but last time I checked, DS wasnt nintendo's next home console, and PSP seems to be selling twice as fast-which means there is a threat now to nintendos handheld dominance. Not cuz its sony....just the fact that someone with a good track record other than the big n has finally made a portable gaming system.

Sony reports less of a profit because it has thousands of products it has-tons of those could fail or be too costly and not make up alot of net profit. Lets see some figures that only show ps2 sales.

Here I am defending a console....whats wrong with me....if im being labeled a fan boy, it will be a pc bias fanboisim.....screw all consoles...pc pwns. :p

Vash
01-07-05, 07:35 PM
I never said Nintendo was financially unstable. I said their product was stale and cant be saved.

I don't think you mean stale. If you're bored playing them, that's cool. But stale means that they haven't changed, and they've changed plenty.

Yes, Link is still after Gannon. Yes, Mario is still cleaning up messes caused by Bowser. But these two series aren't 2D anymore, and both have significantly changed up their gameplay mechanics several times over. Each of the Zelda and Mario games have their own particular gameplay mechanics.

You haven't played any AAA titles on the Cube other than Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime? Go out and rent the following: Mario Power Tennis, Double Dash, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Wario Ware, Donkey Konga, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Smash Bros: Melee, and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. (Note: some titles will require multiple players for full enjoyment).

They have also been actively persuing connectivity niftiness with FF: Crystal Chronicles, Zelda: The Four Sword, Wind Waker, and other titles. All this is new stuff. (Most of the connectivity stuff is kinda dumb, IMO, but it's an interesting step to take).

And DS vs PSP sales numbers:

Nintendo launched DS in the United States on Nov. 21 and in Japan on Dec. 2, in time for the holiday spending rush, and has raised its forecast of shipments this year by 40 percent to 2.8 million units.

Sony has said it will ship just 500,000 units in Japan by the end of the year and it will miss the holiday season in the United States and Europe, where a launch is expected early next year.

(Source: News.com (http://news.com.com/Japan+jumps+on+Sony's+PSP/2100-1043_3-5488333.html))

By May, Sony estimates it will have shipped 3 million PSP's worldwide. Nintendo expects to have shipped 5 million DS's by that time (see article above). The DS launched 10 days before the PSP (in Japan).

I think the issue is that they aren't marketing directly to our age group anymore - we grew up, and they are basically doing the same thing they always have: putting out good games that are accessible by everyone. That and saving the world as a cybernetically enhanced superhuman or causing as much property damage as possible before the cops toss you in jail just sounds more exciting than shooting around in go-karts throwing banana peels at each other.

saturnotaku
01-07-05, 07:59 PM
Just because nintendo had a monopoly on the video console market in the 80's and early 90's and no longer does, dosent mean they can't be compeitive and profitible in todays/tomorrow's market.

When more than 90% of the console market is controlled by Sony and Nintendo (and MS) are still buying parts off the shelves instead of developing in-house, it's awfully difficult, nay, damn near impossible to make money. The loss-leader strategy doesn't work here. Sony did it right with building their consoles from the ground up and having excellent developer relations.

This is not to say Nintendo is doomed by any stretch, but I don't think they'll ever return back to their glory days.