PDA

View Full Version : Such a thing as Bios locked BFG 6800GT?

Cali3350
01-07-05, 04:57 PM
Just got my new power supply in thinking maybe thats what was causing problems. It was not :(.

Whenever i try to overclock (or underclock) to any frequency it gives me an error saying it did not pass drivers internal test. Detect Optimal frequencies makes a bar appear onscreen, it moves maybe 1/4 down bar, then screen blacks out and default settings are selected.

I once forced Rivatuner to overclock, and i got artifacts, however this could be caused by a locked bios.

Anyone know if it exists? I just find the fact no driver test has ever passed regardless of settings selected kinda fishy.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that Rivatuner will not let me overclock via "low level" as the option is greyed out.

nIghtorius
01-07-05, 06:56 PM
Just got my new power supply in thinking maybe thats what was causing problems. It was not :(.

Whenever i try to overclock (or underclock) to any frequency it gives me an error saying it did not pass drivers internal test. Detect Optimal frequencies makes a bar appear onscreen, it moves maybe 1/4 down bar, then screen blacks out and default settings are selected.

I once forced Rivatuner to overclock, and i got artifacts, however this could be caused by a locked bios.

Anyone know if it exists? I just find the fact no driver test has ever passed regardless of settings selected kinda fishy.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that Rivatuner will not let me overclock via "low level" as the option is greyed out.

OC'ing is probably not locked on your BIOS.. I think you got a bad OC'er.. my GT is also not very keen about OC'ing. @ stock (1.3V 3D) it OC's only to 364Mhz (14Mhz more than stock?!).. but OC's hell in memory (1.2Ghz)

artifacts (are probably) (is) caused by OC'ing it too much.. the card can't handle it's set speed.

Cali3350
01-07-05, 10:22 PM
OC'ing is probably not locked on your BIOS.. I think you got a bad OC'er.. my GT is also not very keen about OC'ing. @ stock (1.3V 3D) it OC's only to 364Mhz (14Mhz more than stock?!).. but OC's hell in memory (1.2Ghz)

artifacts (are probably) (is) caused by OC'ing it too much.. the card can't handle it's set speed.
Yes, but the fact that UNDERclocking yieids the same problem makes me suspicious.

Cota
01-07-05, 10:37 PM
On rivatuner Low level overclocking is disabled for geforce fx and up.

check the temps on your card, artifacts are a heat issue.

Cali3350
01-08-05, 10:50 AM
On rivatuner Low level overclocking is disabled for geforce fx and up.

check the temps on your card, artifacts are a heat issue.

Temps are about 80 under full load. Considering i cant overclock OR underclock, and running the card at anything other then default speed causes a COMPLETE system lockdown...im curious.

Faster
01-08-05, 02:20 PM
Temps are about 80 under full load. Considering i cant overclock OR underclock, and running the card at anything other then default speed causes a COMPLETE system lockdown...im curious.

Totaly a Heat issue i would say.

I have a BFG 6800GT and it did the same thing. my friends BFG was identical and run about 15c cooler at all times. His Load temp was always under 60c. Before siliencers i could run 400/1100 and he could do 425/1100. After we put on Silencers temps went down for him but my core was still pretty hot. Overclocks didnt really change. Case temp was better though.

Mine was still running close to 80c and his was running under 60c overclocked.

I would say you just got a unlucky card. There is nothing you can do about it.

Cali3350
01-08-05, 09:24 PM

I have a BFG 6800GT and it did the same thing. my friends BFG was identical and run about 15c cooler at all times. His Load temp was always under 60c. Before siliencers i could run 400/1100 and he could do 425/1100. After we put on Silencers temps went down for him but my core was still pretty hot. Overclocks didnt really change. Case temp was better though.

Im ok with that, just want to make sure.

bkswaney
01-08-05, 11:19 PM

I've seen the same thing myself.
It seems some cores just run cooler even
under the same loads-temps etc.

My idle temps did not hardly drop going
to a NV5.
Now my load temps dropped a good 15 degree's.

I wish we knew why and how this was happening.