PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4 (1.11.05)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr. Hunt
01-08-05, 12:34 PM
Well this game should be on store shelves on the 11th or 12th of this month (next Tuesday or Wednesday) and I was just wondering who was getting it? It is coming for the Gamecube first, and PS2 is going to be getting it a few months down the road.

Anyway... I preordered mine last month and they gave me a demo and the game is pretty cool. I have been a big fan of Resident Evil games since the first one on the original PS. This one is very different though.

No zombies, although the new "Ganado" are VERY cool and it is a nice change of pace since they are smarter. They will put their hand in front of the face to stop you from getting a headshot, they will place ladders going onto roofs/into windows to get into a house where you are (if the door is barricaded). They will run after you and throw axes at you (of which you will have to shoot out of the air to stop from hitting you). There is also a very cool "chainsaw man" who has a sack over his face and carries a chainsaw. He will kill you instantly if he gets close to you by sawing your head off.... it makes it very intense when you are searching through the different houses and keep hearing his chainsaw and then he is right behind you :).

New setting... it is somewhere in Europe and it takes place in a village. The village seems like it varies though (judging from the trailers). I have seen places where there is a big lake (which has a nice looking boss fight judging from the trailers) and a big castle.

3D gameplay (again). Well Resident Evil: Code Veronica was 3d (instead of prerendered backgrounds) but that was it... they went back to Prerendered for other things. But now it is back and it looks great. The aiming is a bit weird because of how your lasersight is... but I like the control over the camera and the fact that I shouldn't get too many "death by camera angles" in this one.

Also... I saw some pictures somebody scanned from the strategy guide showing the pictures of guns... there seem to be quite a few guns and they all seem very cool. The selection seems pretty diverse this time and you can also upgrade weapons to make them more powerful, fire faster, hold more bullets/shells.

So.... sorry to go on that long... just excited about the game... been too long since I had a new RE game ;).

superklye
01-08-05, 12:58 PM
It looks really, really cool/good. I've been a huge fan since RE:DC for the PS1 and I always have a great time playing these games. RE2 was fantastic and I have Nemesis and Code Veronica, but I never got very far in either. Consoles just don't do it for me anymore.

I was really thinking about buying this for the GC (two of my roommates have one) but then I figured: I don't know what's going on in the story and I probably wouldn't play it for more than a few days.

PSYCHODAD
01-08-05, 01:12 PM
I think my son has had this game preordered since it was first announced. He'd rather play R.E. than just about anything. Has every title imaginable and imports too.

BTW, He also has a playable demo of RE4 which I thought was lots of fun. Game was kinda hard though.

GamerGuyX
01-08-05, 01:34 PM
You guys have seen the reviews (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/535840.asp) for Resident Evil 4 haven't you? :eek: Pretty damn good so far.

And yes, I will be getting Resident Evil 4 when it comes out. Really, I'll buy any game with zombies in it (even though this time they are not technically zombies) . :rolleyes: Oh and Ada's finally back! :D

Mr. Hunt
01-08-05, 01:44 PM
Yup... Ada... I also saw some scans of some unlockable games....

SPOILERS (well... some might get mad about finding out... but it isn't important to the storyline so I am fine with knowing)
There is an unlockable game where you can play as 4 different characters... I know 2 are Wesker (SWEET!) and Hunk (even more SWEETNESS... he was awesome in RE2). I think 1 might be Ada, and another might be the long haired guy in the trailers... luis or something. Hunk looks like he will be AWESOME to play... if you daze a Ganado he can snap their necks :).

GamerGuyX
01-08-05, 02:01 PM
and Hunk

Wha, wha, WHAT! :jumping:

Where did you hear about this!? I've been waiting forever to play Hunk again!

http://hometown.aol.com/fanresidentevil/images/hunk.jpg

LiquidX
01-08-05, 02:55 PM
I dont see how how any GC owner can miss this. Pre-orderd mine from Outpost which has it for $38 plus free shipping.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4324615

Mr. Hunt
01-08-05, 02:55 PM
Wha, wha, WHAT! :jumping:

Where did you hear about this!? I've been waiting forever to play Hunk again!

http://hometown.aol.com/fanresidentevil/images/hunk.jpg

Yeah... I am quite happy about getting to play as Hunk again... but anyway... this is a scan from the guide... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/mystere_guy/RE4/RE4WeskerHunk.jpg

Vagrant Zero
01-08-05, 03:17 PM
I was really thinking about buying this for the GC (two of my roommates have one) but then I figured: I don't know what's going on in the story and I probably wouldn't play it for more than a few days.

Story wise it's pretty seperated from the RE series [thankfully]. Though you will enjoy this game more if you've played RE2.

I dont see how how any GC owner can miss this. Pre-orderd mine from Outpost which has it for $38 plus free shipping.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4324615

I'll pick it up from Circuit City with my store discount. It might be a few bucks more but viola instant gratificiation, that's the american way son. :p

GamerGuyX
01-08-05, 03:17 PM
Yeah... I am quite happy about getting to play as Hunk again... but anyway... this is a scan from the guide... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/mystere_guy/RE4/RE4WeskerHunk.jpg

I get a "bandwidth exceeded" message... :(

superklye
01-08-05, 04:01 PM
Story wise it's pretty seperated from the RE series [thankfully]. Though you will enjoy this game more if you've played RE2.
Hmm...I liked RE2 and this is a separate story line. My curiosity is piqued. I think I'll read up on this a bit and re-evaluate my stance on the game.

GamerGuyX
01-08-05, 04:02 PM
Hmm...I liked RE2 and this is a separate story line.

Well it is tied in with the other games in the genre. Just not connected as much...

Mr. Hunt
01-08-05, 04:50 PM
Bah... sorry about that... but anyway it was just a scan from the strat guide that showed a picture of Hunk snapping a neck and Wesker just sort of standing there... it just described what weapons they start out with and what their "specialties" were (if I remember right Hunk specialty was snapping necks, and Weskers was a big arsenal of weapons and a silencer for his pistol).

EDIT: This should work
http://img94.exs.cx/img94/7509/re4weskerhunk2nh.jpg

sirplayalot
01-08-05, 06:06 PM
I pre-ordered it from my local EB Games and got the demo to hold me off till it comes in! I really really really really LOVE the game! I think its the best console game ever created! Graphics are awsome and gameplay is cool, controls are also very easy. Cant wait to try the full.

GamerGuyX
01-08-05, 06:13 PM
OMG Mr. Hunt that is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post that! :)

Edge
01-08-05, 06:35 PM
Looks pretty cool, I've been looking forward to this one since I pretty much bought a Gamecube for the RE series. It looks quite different from the other RE games, but definatly sounds like it has some very cool features. The aiming looks a little funky, and the videos I've seen show some really bad clipping, but otherwise the game looks to be a solid action/survival horror game (although it is strange seeing an on-screen health/ammo display in an RE game). I love the whole barricading the house scene they showed in movies, it's cool that you have some strategic options in the battles.

Supposedly RE4 is the last of the main RE storyline, though I must say the direction they took it does seem a little disapointing. The game sounds like it has an interesting storyline (despite the cheesy "you must rescue the president's daughter" plot), but I'm just a bit disapointed that they never really wrapped up the Umbrella storyline in the other games.

RE1- Jill/Chris start their anti-Umbrella campaign
RE2- Leon vows to take down Umbrella
RE:CV- Clair and Chris vow to take down Umbrella
RE4- Umbrella is dead

Err...did I miss something in the storyline? I was kinda looking forward to...you know...taking down Umbrella. Oh well, hopefully they'll tie up a few of the loose ends left by the old RE games. Either way, definatly looking forward to it. Oh, and for those who don't know, Gamestop is offering a collector's edition package of the game (found here (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B220482A)). It includes the game, a collector's tin, an art cell/artbook, and the RE4 soundtrack. It was also supposed to include the soundtracks to the two RE movies, but I'm not sure if it does or not. Still, a decent package for $10 more :)

GamerGuyX
01-08-05, 06:43 PM
Err...did I miss something in the storyline?

Yeah, as in, the original vision they had for RE4. I remember RE4 was suppose to take place in Europe in the Umbrella headquartes. Its to bad they scraped that idea and went with the "save the president's daughter idea" like you said.

Mr. Hunt
01-08-05, 08:27 PM
I am guessing if Umbrella is truly gone in RE4... we may get a game in between 3 and 4 somewhere down the line of SOMEBODY taking out Umbrella.

FierceDeityLink
01-08-05, 09:23 PM
I am guessing if Umbrella is truly gone in RE4... we may get a game in between 3 and 4 somewhere down the line of SOMEBODY taking out Umbrella.
A game where you get to play stockholders. :D

Edge
01-10-05, 05:21 AM
Hmm, it got a 9.6 from Gamespot and a 9.8 from IGN, not too shabby! Sounds like the game is quite long too: 20-25 hours, from what the reviews say. Definatly going to be checking this game out now, it looks like it might end up being even better than I hoped. Great game to start off the year with, looks like 2005 just might be able to match up to 2004.

LiquidX
01-10-05, 09:48 AM
If Gamespot gives a game 9.6 you know it's damn good. There the toughest critics around. About to re-order a GC. :D

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/residentevil4/review.html?gcst=re4_gc010705vr.asx&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_media

K007
01-11-05, 01:24 AM
Bah..i wish they release Resident Evil for PC man...the Doom3 Engine would be bloody awsome for Resident Evil 4 for PC...come on, i love the entire Resident Evil series, but i am not gonna pay for a PS2 just to play that game..i am not much of a console person.

superklye
01-11-05, 01:27 AM
Bah..i wish they release Resident Evil for PC man...the Doom3 Engine would be bloody awsome for Resident Evil 4 for PC...come on, i love the entire Resident Evil series, but i am not gonna pay for a PS2 just to play that game..i am not much of a console person.
They put out the first two on PC and they sucked. Controls were terrible, graphics were terrible and they sold terribly.

WeReWoLf
01-11-05, 01:31 AM
Am definately gettin this one. Just gotta finish Goldeneye 2 first

K007
01-11-05, 03:41 AM
Yeah thats probably why they stopped releaseing for PC.

But come on man PC's have changed since that time. Console controls can be plugged into the PC. I bet the PC version if created would look much better than the console version.

I played resident evil 1 on PC, and 2 / 3 on PS1 Emulator on the PC using the same keyboard layout as Resident Evil 1, i finished 2 and 3 and with 2 i finished it both with the 2 characters.

Resident Evil 4 looks bloody nice..i am even considering buying the console..but i hate consoles, i like the good old keyb/mouse..

I hope it does come out for PC, fingers crossed, cause i am a big fan of this entire series and i saw the clips over at gamespot and they look bloody nice man, i am sure today's PC's can run this game without any problems if it was made for PC.

PS: You forgot Resident Evil 3 also came out for PC. So far 1 2 and 3 made it, the other ones like veronica and i think outbreak there was also a one like timecrisis like one i cant remember that came out only for console/arcade...i really really really hope they make it for PC. Just look at how well Ridiick did? If it wasen't for the PC version i wouldn't have even heard or played this game, and its bloody awsome, you gotta admit that right?