PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6600 GT not displayed in Sax2 after install of drivers

broxtor
01-08-05, 03:16 PM
I recently purchased an XFX 6600 GT card that I want to use on Suse 9.1 professional. I checked the Nvidia web site to see if the driver supports this card. On the download page of version 6629 it says: "Added support for 6600 and 6600GT". So I guess it should work.
However, the driver I can install with Yast is older and probably doesn't support this card yet, so I downloaded and installed the 6629 version, accordingly to the Suse installation howto that's also on the download page. But when I go into Sax2 to check for the 6600 GT it's not listed.
With my previous card, a geforce 4 mx400 I was able to play doom III on Suse, but now I get the error message that GL cannot be initialized.
How can I set up my card properly?

TierMann
01-08-05, 03:32 PM
SaX2 has it's own list which I'm almost sure is only updated by SuSE.
Whichever card you pick should give you the "nvidia" driver now instead of the old "nv" driver which only has 2d acceleration.

What you do is instead of using SaX2, edit your XF86Config or Xorg.conf and change the driver from "nv" to "nvidia" and restart X or reboot. You'll know it's using the new driver because you'll see the nvidia logo when X starts back up.
The OpenGL issue may be the other couple of things you need to comment or add to the config file. It's probably using X's defaults.

It's actually in the installation text if you need more details.

broxtor
01-08-05, 06:13 PM
Hi Tiermann,

Thanks for your response. The NVIDIA logo is indeed displayed when KDE boots. (Or X) About the OpenGL stuff: I'm puzzled. I went through the whole readme of the nvidia drivers. It has some helpfull tips, but I don't seem to get it working. Things like Tuxracer and GL screensavers work fine....

It's probably using X's defaults.
Could you give a little more details on that please?

TierMann
01-08-05, 07:00 PM
The defaults are dri and GLCore.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6629/README.txt

If you already have an X config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

Update:
Now that I think about it though, I never did get doom III running in linux back when I had gentoo and my Geforce FX 5200. And it was a GL error too even though everything else worked, just like you have. It seems like a problem with where doom is looking for your GL... I'll search here and get back to you. I didn't process your problem completely :P Things are clicking now, heh

All I found...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38113&highlight=doom+glx

The thread seems dead, but maybe there's some info that can help you.
Sorry I couldn't be more help on this.

broxtor
01-09-05, 11:23 AM
Allright, got it working now. It turns out that my default depth in X was set tot 16 bit. This needs to be 24 bit. So I guess I'm allright now. Thanks for the help!