PDA

View Full Version : I have sworn off Logitech mice for good

Pages : [1] 2 3

saturnotaku
11-22-02, 12:57 PM
I wanted to pick up a new, more compact mouse I could use with my laptop. I was using my old Intellimouse Explorer 2.0, which has been working wonderfully in the nearly 2 years I've owned it. Based on the positive reviews of its bigger MX500 and MX700 brothers I bought a Logitech MX300. I hadn't had good experiences with my previous Logitech mice, but that was over 2 years ago and I figured the software had improved.

Boy was I wrong. The scrolling sucks and the wheel still doesn't work right in my games (and I've tried all the workarounds). You would think after 2+ years, Logitech would have fixed these issues. I guess not.

Their products may be from "The Man" but Microsoft still makes the best mice with the best software and that's where I'll be putting my money when I return this POS Logitech. :mad:

Ryo-Ohki
11-22-02, 01:10 PM
Well, Logitech was actually my brand of choice before I gave a shot at Microsoft. Never really got problems of any kinds, mind you - I just prefer the "feel" offered by MS hardware.

StealthHawk
11-22-02, 01:30 PM
the Logitech MX700 mouse has scroll wheel problems too. even so, it has gotten those favorable reviews.

if/once they fix the problem i'm seriously considering picking one up. i just don't want to bother with the hassle of finding a workaround.

saturnotaku
11-22-02, 01:39 PM
The thing is, this problem has been around for long time now. I had a Logitech MouseMan+ when I was a sophomore in college and I suffered through the same problems until I got my Intellimouse Explorer. After buying the Microsoft mouse, I've not had a single problem with the Explorer's hardware or software.

I boggles my mind that after this long, Logitech still hasn't resolved the scrolling issues. :rolleyes:

Tactics
11-22-02, 01:46 PM
. The scrolling sucks and the wheel still doesn't work right in my games (and I've tried all the workarounds).

I hope you installed this - it might help if not.

Mouse registry file for gamers (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=downloads/software&CRID=320&contentid=6004&OSID=1&softwareid=8211&countryid=19&languageid=1)

saturnotaku
11-22-02, 02:02 PM
Read:

originally posted by saturnotaku
(and I've tried all the workarounds)

So, yes, I've tried that. Still doesn't work. So back to Best Buy it goes.

Tactics
11-22-02, 02:22 PM
Well excuse me - thought I would just mention it. My crystal ball here didn't show me what "workarounds" you've tried and haven't tried.

saturnotaku
11-22-02, 02:40 PM
I thought having the word all in there was pretty clear, but I guess not. Believe me, I tried all the same **** I tried with my Logitech mouse of old, as well as other fixes I've read about and new drivers, nothing works.

I don't have the patience to wait for any more fixes, especially when I can pick up a Microsoft mouse, install the software and be good to go.

Spectral
11-22-02, 02:52 PM
Hehe, everyone is in a good mood today.:D

saturnotaku
11-22-02, 02:57 PM
Yeah, like I got all my work done for the week and my boss won't let me leave early. :mad:

I've had nothing but trouble with this stupid mouse (now the wheel won't scroll at all). Grrr. Banner freaking day today. :rolleyes:

PsychoSy
11-22-02, 03:54 PM
I'm a trackball man and I've been please with Logitech's trackballs.

But I won't be using that MouseWare garbage anymore. :mad:

nin_fragile14
11-22-02, 04:01 PM
I've had my Logitech optical for about 1 1/2 years now, and it's worked perfectly, and never broke.

I owned an Intellimouse Explorer, and it broke 3 times before I got one that has worked for about a year now.

exar
11-23-02, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
The thing is, this problem has been around for long time now. I had a Logitech MouseMan+ when I was a sophomore in college and I suffered through the same problems until I got my Intellimouse Explorer. After buying the Microsoft mouse, I've not had a single problem with the Explorer's hardware or software.

I boggles my mind that after this long, Logitech still hasn't resolved the scrolling issues. :rolleyes: I went thru two of the MouseMan+. Each time the left button crapped out on me after ~6 months which somehow corresponds to the time I was playing Diablo and Quake...

The Baron
11-23-02, 10:30 AM
Am I the only man alive whose Logitech mouse has been utterly perfect? :confused:

Seriously... I've had 0 problems with either of them (one's on my bro's box, one's on mine). Scroll wheel works perfectly fine as far as I can tell (I don't use it too often in games--hitting the key is still faster :p )... so I dunno.

Matthyahuw
11-23-02, 02:19 PM
I have never had an issue with Logitech, and I think my Logitech device was much better than the comparible MS device I have now, it's still working after 4yrs! The only thing I do is leave the driver to the default PS/2 driver..

gpk
11-23-02, 10:39 PM
B4 this workaround i would end the EM_EXEC.exe task to get mousewheel to work w/ my new MX 500, Reg tweak doesn't work w new model, fine w older mice. Some websites said thanksgiving for new mouseware 9.75 to fix problems (current ver 9.73), I emailed logitech support a a week + ago and got no response.

Found this in the UT 2003 forum...

In the Mouse control panel applet, "BUTTONS" tab, set the "Scrolling Size" to none, install and run TweakUI for XP (Part of Powertoys for XP) (havent tired in other OSes) , in the MOUSE->Wheel section check the "Use mouse wheel for scrolling" box and set the number of lines u desire.
I now have all the buttons recognized in UT 2003 AND the wheel too. The thumb buttons can be bound in their default "Back" and "Forward" assigments(technically ALT+LEFT and ALT+RIGHT, so dont have something bound to ALT,). Can't get em to be bound in Ghost Recon tho; havent't tried it in other games yet.

IMO logitech still makes better mice/drivers than MS, though I admit this round has been frustrating as the REG fix for the mousewheel does NOT work w the new mice; and their tech support has been unusually quiet...

budd_wm
11-23-02, 11:22 PM
Logitech is about to release a new version of their software in which they say the scroll wheel issue is fixed. Should be out in a couple of weeks. I have the MX700 and can say it's a kickass mouse, the best I've used yet.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-23-02, 11:52 PM
I don't wanna be left out... I have been using my logitech marble for years, very good, but I hate having to clean it. My previous mouse was an A4 tech thang, never got it to work, its like they crossed wires or something. I've had a few MS mouses and they've been great. When I built this new comp I didn't want a mouse that'd give me probs or let me down by breakin' on me. Logitech? nah, read about their probs(I feel ya Saturn), so I bought my Intellimouse Optical Special Edition, whoa! great mouse! very smooth and scrolling is solid. Greatest mouse everrrrr! :D Never gonna buy any other brand of mouse again!:D ;)

EDIT: Now I just gotta configure the 3 extra buttons on this mouse on UT2k3 and you'll all be dead!:p

volt
11-24-02, 12:13 AM
I've used Microsoft Intelli Optical (PS2) for about 2 years now, and I'm loving that mouse. Never had any problem with it, works like a charm :p

thcdru2k
11-24-02, 12:22 AM
NICE AVATAR.

volt
11-24-02, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
NICE AVATAR.

hehe, gracias :D

The Baron
11-24-02, 12:26 AM
changed it for when you hit 999 eh? :p

volt
11-24-02, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
changed it for when you hit 999 eh? :p

Oh yea, definetly...Didn't you know that ? :D
I suspect it will change soon again, maybe 1337 :)

Kruno
11-24-02, 03:24 AM
I have a Logitech optical 4 buton wheel mouse and it works perfect. I don't even install the software or have the latest drivers. I use the ones that come with XP.

StealthHawk
11-24-02, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
I have a Logitech optical 4 buton wheel mouse and it works perfect. I don't even install the software or have the latest drivers. I use the ones that come with XP.

but you can't progrm the buttons in Windows without the Logitech software, right? yeah, i guess that's not a big deal.