PDA

View Full Version : Here's what the HL2/Source Engine stutter sounds like

Ruined
01-09-05, 03:46 PM
Someone on the steam forums started a thread like this... So I figured I'd record my own system as well.

For those who don't have the HL2 stuttering this is what it can sound like:

http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/hl2stutter.mp3

First run through is loading a game and playing a portion of the board for the first time, then dying. Second part is reloading the saved game after I die and playing the same portion of the board. Note how there is much less stutter the second time.

My specs:
Intel Pentium4 3.2C
Intel D865PERLL motherboard
1GB dual channel Crucial RAM
BFG 6800GT latest drivers (67.03)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz latest drivers (4193)
Seagate 7200.7 160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200rpm/8mb cache)
Windows XP SP2
Half Life 2 latest patch as of today 1/9/05
no virii, spyware, etc, all unneeded processes terminated

Pretty annoying to get stutter like that for a system with these specs.

Pimp!
01-09-05, 04:48 PM
often wondered what people heard when they had stuttering, now i can see why they are mad about it.

Serial_Killer
01-09-05, 05:45 PM
wow that is annoying

FierceDeityLink
01-09-05, 06:37 PM
Probably a reason to buy a Creative sound card...

FierceDeityLink
01-09-05, 07:35 PM
so its a soundcard probem?

so if i use a creative soundcard the stuttering would be minimized?
I'd imagine so, unless someone here says otherwise. I had a slight amount of studdering until mid-late December. Of course, the first patch didn't do anything.

WeReWoLf
01-09-05, 08:00 PM
It's not a soundcard problem, it's a bug within the engine itself.

Ruined
01-09-05, 09:02 PM
Yeh ppl on hardocp and steampowered are using creative cards and have similar problems even with latest patch

Serial_Killer
01-09-05, 09:18 PM
valve did so well with the graphics and physics......

...but the sound is a different story:(

superklye
01-09-05, 09:19 PM
Huh...that's the stutter huh? I thought it was something else. I've never had that problem, I've just had complete engine stuttering after autosaves, loads and quicksaves...but now, after the patches, even those are almost gone completely. There is still just a minor stutter after the above stated happenings.

Edge
01-09-05, 09:33 PM
I have that problem as well. At first I thought it was because I needed more RAM (I "only" have 768), but when I tried it with a gig the stuttering was still there. I've tried a multitude of settings, but no matter what the game just seems to have random pausing. I do hope they fix it eventually, or at the very least pinpoint what's causing it. I'm using an Audigy 2 card with the newest drivers (though I saw the same issue when I was using the drivers that came with the card, as well), so it seems Creative cards aren't immune to this issue either.

anzak
01-09-05, 09:42 PM
One of the early patches fixed it for me.

Rakeesh
01-09-05, 09:50 PM
I have noticed at least 3 major issues with sound in all Source games. On mine I don't get stuttering anymore, but surround sound doesn't work at all. It works fine in doom 3, farcry, and riddick however.

GamerGuyX
01-09-05, 10:03 PM
Huh...that's the stutter huh? I thought it was something else. I've never had that problem, I've just had complete engine stuttering after autosaves, loads and quicksaves...but now, after the patches, even those are almost gone completely. There is still just a minor stutter after the above stated happenings.

There are two different versions of the HL2 stutter. The sound stuttering Ruined showed us and the one that you just explained.

AngelGraves13
01-09-05, 10:51 PM
Probably a reason to buy a Creative sound card...

I use my onboard sound and have NEVER heard stuttering. Explain that Mr. Buy-A-Creative-Card.

Rakeesh
01-09-05, 11:13 PM
FWIW my card is realtek and it doesn't get stuttering anymore. All three of the major sound issues I was referring to have been heard on all cards, including creative.

Pretty much nothing could get me to switch to using my audigy 2 zs from my current card, it sounds much better and has a larger feature set.

Vagrant Zero
01-10-05, 04:56 PM
Creative is the Great Satan of our time.

I'm hoping SoundStorm 2 will be an add-in card.

wickfut
01-10-05, 04:59 PM
my stuttering isnt like that

mine pauses the game and i get like a scrached cd repeat over for about 20 seconds and then the game continues

WeReWoLf
01-10-05, 05:04 PM
That's the same stuttering that i get.

Morn
01-13-05, 08:28 AM
I don't get suttering, but it 5.1 mode the channels are totally out of sync and it sounds like an echo.

superklye
01-13-05, 12:22 PM
I don't get suttering, but it 5.1 mode the channels are totally out of sync and it sounds like an echo.
5.1 won't even work for me. :( All sound just disappears when I set both Windows and the game in 5.1 mode. I really hope it's just because of my soundcard being so old... :-\

Rakeesh
01-13-05, 06:06 PM
5.1 won't even work for me. :( All sound just disappears when I set both Windows and the game in 5.1 mode. I really hope it's just because of my soundcard being so old... :-\

Heh, it probably isn't because of your soundcard, although valve will insist that it is. Numerous cards are affected by this, both old and new, and valve says that the drivers for every single one of these cards is at fault, yet these cards all work just fine with every other game out there. Go figure.

NAZCA M12
01-13-05, 08:20 PM
Numerous cards are affected by this, both old and new, and valve says that the drivers for every single one of these cards is at fault, yet these cards all work just fine with every other game out there. Go figure.

You said it man, its because these cards have faulty drivers that they play every other game fine. :D :confused: :p I guess that's a good hole for Valve to exploit (not that i think of them as moneygrabbers or anything :angel: ) How about selling instead of just caps, T-shirts, empty boxes (without the game disc) a "Freeman PC" with stuff they choose it themselves? They can advertise a list of its advantages such as "awesome ATI X800XT (of course :D ), and dead last, add the bonus: No stuttering! I bet they're gonna sell'em like hot cakes. :D Wooo, i can envisage their marketing departement guy scratching his head upon reading that stuff thinking "godamn, why didn't we thought of that ****?"

Ruined
01-13-05, 09:49 PM
You said it man, its because these cards have faulty drivers that they play every other game fine. :D :confused: :p I guess that's a good hole for Valve to exploit (not that i think of them as moneygrabbers or anything :angel: ) How about selling instead of just caps, T-shirts, empty boxes (without the game disc) a "Freeman PC" with stuff they choose it themselves? They can advertise a list of its advantages such as "awesome ATI X800XT (of course :D ), and dead last, add the bonus: No stuttering! I bet they're gonna sell'em like hot cakes. :D Wooo, i can envisage their marketing departement guy scratching his head upon reading that stuff thinking "godamn, why didn't we thought of that ****?"

You are assuming they will actually be able to produce a PC in mass quantities that doesn't have the stutter bug in some form ;)