PDA

View Full Version : Mega Wow !

Pages : [1] 2

duggs
01-09-05, 07:32 PM
Because I'm stupid, more money than sence as my Father often sais, I went out and got a 26" LCD/TV yesterday, mainly to run the PC through or perhaps the PS2.

What an incredible difference it is compared with my old 21" EIZO Monitor.

My 6800 GT is pumping out amazing colour and FRPS now. Its a completely different gaming experiance now.

Downside, perhaps, I can only go upto 1280 x 780 rez but when the screen is this big it doesn't matter. All other aspects pumped to the full.

Biggest shock.....HAS to be the high vivid colour and clarity. Wish I done it ages ago.

Would strongly recommend.

SH64
01-09-05, 07:46 PM
Whats the make/price for that 26 incher you got ?

Mud
01-09-05, 07:48 PM
i've been playing CS:S in 1600x900 centred output on my 1600x1200 20.1"er, its an unfair advantage, extra fov. the dell 2001fp and 2005fpw are ridiculously cheap right now...

kahloq
01-09-05, 08:35 PM
Well I understand his enthusiasm as I had just bought a 30" LCD westinghouse last week. As for mine, it cost 1400.

SH64
01-09-05, 08:42 PM
Guys you are giving me an evil thoughts .. stop it !! :(

so with such large screens do you really need to stay away from the monitor for a good distance ?? i mean to see clearly & keep a good look at the graphics ..

kahloq
01-09-05, 09:47 PM

so with such large screens do you really need to stay away from the monitor for a good distance ?? i mean to see clearly & keep a good look at the graphics ..
Anything over 30" would give problems I think. My 30" LCD is sitting on my computer desk which is about a foot and half front to back and about 6 feet wide. I have a pull out keyboard tray and my mouse sits on top of the desk. I built the desk myself, btw.
30" is really on the virge of being too big, but just quite isnt enough to make you need to sit back. I can sit in the same position as I did with the 19" CRT, however I dont bend forward much now or lean on the desk as then it would be a bit hard to see the entire screen.
If I had a digital camera other then a webcam, I'd take pics so you can see what I mean.
I beleive yes you can see clearly with anything 30" or below. Gte bigger and you will eb forced to sit farther back I think.

bkswaney
01-09-05, 10:14 PM
Anything over 30" would give problems I think. My 30" LCD is sitting on my computer desk which is about a foot and half front to back and about 6 feet wide. I have a pull out keyboard tray and my mouse sits on top of the desk. I built the desk myself, btw.
30" is really on the virge of being too big, but just quite isnt enough to make you need to sit back. I can sit in the same position as I did with the 19" CRT, however I dont bend forward much now or lean on the desk as then it would be a bit hard to see the entire screen.
If I had a digital camera other then a webcam, I'd take pics so you can see what I mean.
I beleive yes you can see clearly with anything 30" or below. Gte bigger and you will eb forced to sit farther back I think.

And I'm happy with a 17inch LCD I just got. :p :ass: :rofl: "J/K"

Man that is one big monitor u have there. :angel:

JGene
01-10-05, 01:03 AM
Welcome to the jumbo monitor club :D

Now all you need to do is pop in a DVD and load FFDShow for some post-processing software and you'll see what all the new HTPC craze is about.

Mud
01-10-05, 02:50 AM

well, here's what 20"s looks like, any larger and i would have to wall-mount to see it all. its widely believed amongst hardcore gamers a 17" TFT/19" CRT is about optimal for gaming, any larger and you're having to move your eyes/head.

here's what mine looks like, note the juicebox and gc pad for scale (mini kb).

http://img132.exs.cx/img132/9739/jan10011mj.jpg

Alex T.
01-10-05, 04:13 AM
What make/model was the LCD/TV you bought? I am interested in getting one as well. Does it have a low response time?

BladeRunner
01-10-05, 07:18 AM
I still prefer a good 19" CRT over an LCD any day.
26" LCD must still be pretty nice though.

I'm with you on this, I've tried a few of the raved about LCD / TFT's when they first come out, and they always dissapoint me. I just can't get to grips with the look & lighting of the screens & the way they display blacks / grey shades. Colours are much better now but still a little artificial looking, esp when you use a photo editing app. There are valid pro's and cons for both, deskspace being a major factor. CRT's are by no means perfect, you have to accept the damper wires on any "Tron" screen for instance, along with generally poorer geometry. If you want to watch movies on the PC, CRT choice is very limited in widescreen. For general use however, and especially gaming & CAD work I can't see anything LCD / TFT / Plasma wise coming close to a Mitsubishi 2070U CRT atm, (leaving professional level CRT's aside)

SH64
01-10-05, 09:59 AM
well, here's what 20"s looks like, any larger and i would have to wall-mount to see it all. its widely believed amongst hardcore gamers a 17" TFT/19" CRT is about optimal for gaming, any larger and you're having to move your eyes/head.

here's what mine looks like, note the juicebox and gc pad for scale (mini kb).

Thanks for the pic Mud .
hmmm the 20" looks ok to be near the user , but like what you said more than that should either get hanged on a wall or something or used in a large desk & put it at the back end of the desk . my 2 desks are too small for doing this though .. so if i'm getting a widescreen then i should consider a new desk too :o

BladeRunner
01-10-05, 10:26 AM
Another option if you can do it in the room, is make yourself a corner desk. you can then usually set the monitor further back without the desk taking up the whole room.

This is a very old image of my first homemade workstation was actually testing out my then, brand new Coolpix 995 camera :D (note the Q3 mouse matt)

http://www.zfz.com/pictures/jpg/workstation.jpg

SH64
01-10-05, 11:07 AM
Another option if you can do it in the room, is make yourself a corner desk. you can then usually set the monitor further back without the desk taking up the whole room.

This is a very old image of my first homemade workstation was actually testing out my then, brand new Coolpix 995 camera :D (note the Q3 mouse matt)

Good thought ! .. BTW your desk looks nice & tidy in that pic .. you really dont need to see the mess on my desks :o :p
the case is right next to the monitor & between them the stereo speakers & the mouse pad is touching the case legs .. & the keyboard is right next to the mouse pad lol .
i should've gotten a good desk before getting a good pc .

duggs
01-10-05, 02:07 PM
Well...Looks like I've started something here...The current "Best UK Deal" appears to be the LG 26" Model No: RZ-26LZ50, which I finally got. Shops mainly have them at 899.00 ish...but if you shop around you can pick them up for 799.00, especially online from Comet and the likes.

I'm assured that LG are the current "Market Leaders" and several other makes are actually rebadged LG's.

I would NEVER have believed the differnce between a standard monitor and a LCD/TV of this sort of size. I'll try to take a piccy running something..

duggs
01-10-05, 02:35 PM
Pics attached...hopefully.

duggs
01-10-05, 02:36 PM
One more...

Mud
01-10-05, 03:46 PM
I'm with you on this, I've tried a few of the raved about LCD / TFT's when they first come out, and they always dissapoint me. I just can't get to grips with the look & lighting of the screens & the way they display blacks / grey shades. Colours are much better now but still a little artificial looking, esp when you use a photo editing app. There are valid pro's and cons for both, deskspace being a major factor. CRT's are by no means perfect, you have to accept the damper wires on any "Tron" screen for instance, along with generally poorer geometry. If you want to watch movies on the PC, CRT choice is very limited in widescreen. For general use however, and especially gaming & CAD work I can't see anything LCD / TFT / Plasma wise coming close to a Mitsubishi 2070U CRT atm, (leaving professional level CRT's aside)

i love CAD on my TFT, unigraphics runs lush :afro:

as for the photoediting, i was under the impression a DVI TFT was about the only way to get the colours representing exactly...short of using one of those colour pod config tools that is; configured to exactly the right light levels. don't get me wrong, i love my TFT but i'm under no illusion its perfect...there's a screendoor effect if you're looking for it and likewise the ghosting (16ms), but they're getting ever better. question is whether they'll get to near perfection or LEP will come along and blow TFT and CRT away before either get there!

BladeRunner
01-10-05, 04:23 PM
i love CAD on my TFT, unigraphics runs lush :afro:

as for the photoediting, i was under the impression a DVI TFT was about the only way to get the colours representing exactly...short of using one of those colour pod config tools that is; configured to exactly the right light levels. don't get me wrong, I love my TFT but I'm under no illusion its perfect...there's a screendoor effect if you're looking for it and likewise the ghosting (16ms), but they're getting ever better. question is whether they'll get to near perfection or LEP will come along and blow TFT and CRT away before either get there!

I don't want to turn this into a TFT V CRT thread as it wasn't about that. I agree they are getting better all the time which is why I revisit TFT's every so often. 16ms is not fast enough for me, they do 12ms now, but that is a combined rise & fall so it can be misleading. I'm glad you mentioned the "screendoor effect". A really good way to describe it, and I find it most irritating. Also how the "reflectiveness" of this changes as your viewing angle moves... urghhh.

Anyhow there needs to be something better than both, as I can't ever see myself moving to TFT over the best CRT has to offer, it would just be a downgrade of image quality to me.

I'm surprised on the CAD comments, as most true pros wont Give TFT /LCD's the time of day, (note I don't even class myself as a novice btw), the recent CRTs like 930 & 2070 are so greatly improved ... there was talk a few years back of near flat CRT tech, (I mean the depth), not sure where that went

SH64
01-11-05, 12:10 AM
One more...

WOW ! looks so sweet !

FlatOut + 26'" monitor = teh phun !! :D

rohit
01-11-05, 02:00 AM
i dont find the need for a screen bigger than 17"/19".
its not like bigger aint better, but y do we need it.?
ITS FREAKIN EXPENSIVE HERE ! ($800USD for a samsung 17" TFT lcd)

Cali3350
01-11-05, 09:11 AM
How is the interlacing on such a thing? I always assumed a LCD/TV hybrid would be great for my college dorm, but never jumped on one as i figured my consoles would look horrible that close...

duggs
01-11-05, 01:26 PM
Forgive me...not sure what "interlacing" means.....BUT I'm also running my PS2 through the new 26" LCD and again...it looks amazing. Cystal clear....can't wait for GT4 to appear in the UK..

Cali3350
01-11-05, 07:29 PM
I mean can you tell its not a progressive image...the PS2 outputs at 60 frames a second, however only one part of the screen is actually being drawn durring that time. The next "time" it goes on (remember 60 per second) it draws what it missed last time, and not what it drew before. im really bad at explaining these things...when you look at it, does the picture look completely solid, or does it look like its full of little lines?

duggs
01-11-05, 08:05 PM
Gotcha !....No, its as solid as a rock.
I've read up quite a bit to be honest. LCD Refresh rates, so I've read, are nothing like CRT screens at all. There is NO flicker on mine and the games run incredibly smoothly.
Its something to do with the way the "crystals" work against traditional pixals.

If anyone can explain this...in simple talk...we'd all appreciate it.

As I mentioned earlier, the colour is very vivid, making things on screen appear much, much clearer. I've had to change the white backgrounds of opened windows and Explorer pages though...the white was......ermmmm...well...whiter than white to be honest and I didn't really want to sit in my dining room with Sun Glasses on so I changed the background colour from white to a light brown sorta colour.