PDA

View Full Version : Heart attack in 7 easy steps while modding!

TacT
01-10-05, 09:54 AM
1) Disconnect devices from your Pc.
2) Remove 6800GT from agp slot.
3) Take 6800GT apart.
4)Remove crappy thermal compound and replace with AS5/ceramique whilst admiring your shiny gpu core.
5) Put card back together again and insert into agp slot.
6) Connect devices and forget to plug the power lead back into your graphics card.
7) Turn on your Pc and prepare yourself for a mild cardiac arrest when your graphics card squeals at you and you think for a minute you might have killed it while modding then realise you forgot to reconnect the power :afro:

I did this yesterday and for a split second I could have sworn I'd fried the bugger until logic got a hold of me and I opened my eyes -- it was a long day :p

temps are back down to 47C idle at 50% fan speed for my gainward GS GT now so I'm a happy camper - took 2C off the cpu temp in the process too.

Clay
01-10-05, 09:56 AM
I think we've all been there before. :) That disconnected power alarm is nasty. :D

Salamandar
01-10-05, 12:02 PM
3) Take 6800GT apart.
4)Remove crappy thermal compound and replace with AS5/ceramique whilst admiring your shiny gpu core.
6) Connect devices and forget to plug the power lead back into your graphics card.
7) Turn on your Pc and prepare yourself for a mild cardiac arrest when your graphics card squeals at you and you think for a minute you might have killed it while modding then realise you forgot to reconnect the power :afro:

I did this yesterday and for a split second I could have sworn I'd fried the bugger until logic got a hold of me and I opened my eyes -- it was a long day :p

temps are back down to 47C idle at 50% fan speed for my gainward GS GT now so I'm a happy camper - took 2C off the cpu temp in the process too.

Yes it happened to me the first day I used my 6800GT card, the buzzing got me freaked and you should have seen my face I was like: WTF WTF WTF......then wait a minute did i plug the molex, hell no I ddin't LOL.

BladeRunner
01-10-05, 12:23 PM
Good job it don't kill them the RMA's would be continuous :D

I did something similar but far more stupid ages ago. Running fan's at 5v I swapped the pins around in two of the PSU molex connectors, then after having the PC apart In my haste to get it running again one of these was accidentally plugged into a HDD. on boot up, a pop sound and that acrid burning PCB smell. I then realised what I'd done....... One dead HDD and lost all data.

Even tried swapping the PCB with a good HDD but it had fried something inside too. You live and learn I guess :) ... now I only mod the fans own molex and remove any pass through molex so that wont get plugged into the wrong place either........

mustrum
01-11-05, 05:22 AM
Been there done that.
Now what really scared me was what happened with my ULTRA.
The waterblock on the Northbridge was too big for on of den Capacitors.
Wooops and i saw it rolling around in the Casebottom.
I could solder it on again but i was SO close to a heart attack there. :eek:

wrugoin
01-11-05, 06:11 AM
LOL!!! hahaha, same here man. Did it after installing my new Ultra 600w PS Christmas night. That is ONE EVIL SOUND!

jAkUp
01-11-05, 11:14 AM
Yea that sound is amazing... wait till you hear 2 of them screaming at you :D :D :D

rewt
01-11-05, 06:28 PM
wait till you hear 2 of them screaming at you :D :D :D

lmao!

now you're just showing off :p

GlowStick
01-11-05, 07:17 PM
Heh, i usto forget to plug in my 9800 pro many times and when the screen would flash and beep it scared me stright, now the first thing i do is plug in the dam video card!

Heh!

anzak
01-11-05, 07:27 PM
3) Take 6800GT apart.

Thats nothing. How about loading up CoD only to see this!

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/7035/dead7.jpg