PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the nForce5 will do for Intel CPUs?

PaiN
01-10-05, 05:11 PM
I'm on the fence...Intel controllers, IDE\SATA and network performance is hard to beat.....
I think one advantage of the nf5 is that it will make SLI available to Intel users fairly soon.

jAkUp
01-10-05, 06:23 PM
Hopefully it can offer some competition for the rock solid Intel Chipsets

saturnotaku
01-10-05, 09:33 PM
Some of the SLI implementation is going rest in the hands of NVIDIA. In Anand's review of the Gigabyte dual GPU card, they said there were lots of problems with the way SLI was running on the Intel board. Hopefully the final silicon revisions and software will be sorted out by the time the boards come to retail.

$n][pErMan
01-10-05, 09:39 PM
Sticking with my 6800GT on AGP for at least a year till all these bugs and crap are worked out. Hell .. might even get 2 years out of it by upgrading to 64-bit in the summer when they are cheaper :)

CainSyris
01-14-05, 12:01 AM
I'm waiting on nVidia to revise the GF6 to include ALL Purevideo and Fastwrite fixes before I upgrade. If ATI happens to create a whole new video card with SM 3.0, well...

nVidia's unwillingness to fix either FastWrites (on GF6's on nF3's), its own broken "hardware-based firewall support" for its integrated network controller (on nF3's), or its broken Purevideo implementation in the better of their cards (on GF6's, GT's, and Ultras, all the higher end) has soured me on their words.

saturnotaku
01-14-05, 12:12 AM
Why is everyone so gung-ho on fastwrites? That options has had the tendency to cause system instability from day 1. And it's not as if it offers any sort of appreciable performance boost.

bkswaney
01-14-05, 01:19 AM
[pErMan']Sticking with my 6800GT on AGP for at least a year till all these bugs and crap are worked out. Hell .. might even get 2 years out of it by upgrading to 64-bit in the summer when they are cheaper :)

I hear ya... I jumped on the 8x AGP bandwagon first
and got one unstable rig.
I ended up swapping my motherboard with this gigabyte
just to get a stable rig.
From now on I wait for at least 12 months before I jump. ;)

bkswaney
01-14-05, 01:25 AM
I'm waiting on nVidia to revise the GF6 to include ALL Purevideo and Fastwrite fixes before I upgrade. If ATI happens to create a whole new video card with SM 3.0, well...

nVidia's unwillingness to fix either FastWrites (on GF6's on nF3's), its own broken "hardware-based firewall support" for its integrated network controller (on nF3's), or its broken Purevideo implementation in the better of their cards (on GF6's, GT's, and Ultras, all the higher end) has soured me on their words.

And ATI is any better?? :rofl:
I had to disable half my features just to get
my old 9800 to run stable.

Both NV and ATI do the same thing.

As far as NF5 and Intel goes I think it will be a great combo
6 or 8 months after it's release.

You can bet there will be lots of bugs with it being Nvidia's first intel chipset.
The first NF1 and AMD had all kinds of problems.
But hey who knows maybe they have learned a lot
since then on cpu chipsets. We can all hope anyway. :angel:

superbooga
01-14-05, 09:54 AM
Well Intel chipsets tend to be expensive. If Nvidia can provide competitive performance with a competitive feature set at a lower cost, then then motherboard prices will go down.

OCForums_Osirus
01-14-05, 10:14 AM
Well I dont know about most of you, but when I have Fast-writes turned on, I get nothing but problems during game play. It lowers performance overall for me. I have a 6800 Ultra and play all my games at the max settings with 1280x1024. Fast-writes enabled and all the problems start.

I wouldnt say Intel chipsets in general tend to be expensive. Have you see a NF4 SLI board's price? well over $250, even the NF4 Ultra board is still over 2bills

circuitbreaker8
01-14-05, 11:32 AM
And ATI is any better?? :rofl:
I had to disable half my features just to get
my old 9800 to run stable.

Both NV and ATI do the same thing.

As far as NF5 and Intel goes I think it will be a great combo
6 or 8 months after it's release.

You can bet there will be lots of bugs with it being Nvidia's first intel chipset.
The first NF1 and AMD had all kinds of problems.
But hey who knows maybe they have learned a lot
since then on cpu chipsets. We can all hope anyway. :angel:

Funny, I never had one problem with my 9800 Pro :p

Rakeesh
01-14-05, 12:35 PM
Hopefully it can offer some competition for the rock solid Intel Chipsets

IMO the only thing intel has going for them at the moment. Quality wise, you cannot beat an intel chipset, or better yet an intel branded motherboard. Feature wise is a whole different story though.

Blakhart
01-14-05, 08:00 PM
Will the nforce for Intels do dual channel mem as well as the Intels chipsets?

Pandora's Box
01-14-05, 10:11 PM
Well I dont know about most of you, but when I have Fast-writes turned on, I get nothing but problems during game play. It lowers performance overall for me. I have a 6800 Ultra and play all my games at the max settings with 1280x1024. Fast-writes enabled and all the problems start.

I wouldnt say Intel chipsets in general tend to be expensive. Have you see a NF4 SLI board's price? well over $250, even the NF4 Ultra board is still over 2bills

hate to sound logical but erm. turn fastwrites off.

bkswaney
01-15-05, 01:26 AM
With my last setup and ati card I had to do 3 things to get it half ass stable.

Disable FW.
Turn down hardware accel 1 notch
Set my board to AGP x4

All these things are what ATI's tech support had me do.
There was one other thing but I draw a blank right now.

Everything runs wide open on my rig now tho. :angel:

teqguy
01-15-05, 05:24 PM
Swaney, I don't know if you've tried this yet... but your chipset's AGP driver might need an update:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?sType=&agr=N&PrdMap=&ProductID=1043&url=/7948/eng/infinst_enu.exe

Hopefully if the NF5 is as good as the 3 and 4 Ultra were, Intel will take a hint and slowly back out of the chipset manufacturing endeavor.

If people need integration, Via has S3 graphics acceleration built in, which unhandedly stomps Intel's Extreme Graphics Acceleration. I believe it even has full hardware based T&L built in, whereas IEGA only has partial, software based T&L.

Nvidia should take the NF5 and try to expand it into the mobile market, possibly featuring graphics acceleration ranging from the 6200 to the 6600 with TurboCache technology included for cost effectiveness and PureVideo just to make watching DVDs on laptops even more enjoyable and less CPU intensive. Imagine what that would do to the hold Intel has on the mobile market. Coupled with a Dothan based Pentium-M, and you're talking about one seriously powerful multimedia laptop.

The only company I'm worried about is SIS. The 655 is still the absolute best overclocker for the Socket 478 platform.

I have a Gigabyte Sinxp1394, a board that got very few glances, but the thing is an overclocker's dream. It has individual IC's for both memory and CPU, which means I can pretty much adjust the memory without affecting the CPU, and vice versa. Memory overclocking allows frequencies of up to 1Ghz and the CPU FSB is adjustable in 1Mhz increments up to 300Mhz. AGP/PCI clock can be locked or set individually in 1Mhz increments. My only gripe is that the Vcore only goes up to 1.75V... I would've liked to see at least 1.9V, but that was easily circumvented with a voltmod.

All in all... Nvidia has a consistent and productive strategy going, and their chipsets will definitely be a welcomed addition to the family, even if it means they push SIS into being bought out by Via. I just thought hell would freeze over before Via was able to buy out another company.