PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64/FX air cooling suggestions

SignorSalad
01-11-05, 02:03 PM
I'm very interested to hear what people are using for air cooling on their Athlon 64/FX CPUs. There's a zillion choices and only a slightly smaller number of reviews around so its all a little overwhelming.

I plan on doing some overclocking, but of course nothing extreme with air cooling. Water cooling, while great, is not something I want to invest in.

What I'd like out of a cooler/fan combo: decent/good performance but reasonably quiet. If it came down to a choice between the best performer that was noticably loud vs a lesser performer that was quieter, I'd probably take the quieter one.

chile
01-11-05, 02:12 PM
thermalright xp-90/120....if you're only mildly oc'ing, you can find quieter fan to mount on the hs....do not get a speeze hs, tho...while i get 38-40CC idle, under load it goes up to 60+C....if you want something w/ a fan included, thermaltake (venus 12/7)...but thermalright is the way to go....

Riptide
01-11-05, 02:28 PM
I use a Zalman 7000Cu. It seems to do pretty well although it is heavy.

saturnotaku
01-11-05, 02:30 PM
I'm using the stock heatsink that came with my 3500+. Even overclocked, it never goes above 55 under load. :D

PSYCHODAD
01-11-05, 03:36 PM
I'm using the Thermaltake silent boost for A64s. So far my max cpu temp hasn't gotten above 40c on this. It probably helps that the side door fan blows on the cpu.

It is very quiet too.

A64 3500+Winch.
Asus NF4 SLI MB,
Thermaltake Tsunami case,
OCZ 600w psu,
1gb Corsair xms,
Tt Silent Boost hs/fan,
XFX 6800gt pci-e
74gb WD Raptor HD,
300gb sata2 HD,
Audigy2 ZS.
Dual layer DVD RW

saturnotaku
01-11-05, 04:54 PM
If I ever switch fans, the Silent Boost would be my first choice. It's a quality setup that doesn't cost a fortune ($30 at Fry's).

|MaguS|
01-11-05, 05:18 PM
Yeah, Im going FX this week and wana get a new Cooler insted of stock, Im torn between the XP-90 and the Silent Boost. I mainly want very low temps at non OC.

Dr.Nick
01-11-05, 07:10 PM
Thermalright. Nothing beats the XP series imho.

Tr1cK
01-11-05, 07:28 PM
Are you guys reffering to the Thermaltake A1838? I have one on the way and am thinking of using the adjustable 3 blade fan off my Volcano 12 on it. They look VERY similar. I think the Volcano has more fins to it though.

mysterfix
01-11-05, 08:08 PM
I'd go XP-120 if your board will accept it. Coupled with a decent fan it is the best hs you can get for A64's. :thumbsup:

I use a thermal probe and a temp. gun to monitor temps. Idle is around 28c at 1.75v load is 35c-40c depending on the room temperature.

marqmajere
01-12-05, 01:26 AM
Another vote for the Thermaltake Silent Boost.

Silent Boost (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-036&depa=1)

Soylent
01-12-05, 02:42 AM
My mom uses a zalman 7000cu for a 754 athlon64, i use one for a p4.

It's good enough and cross platform compatible, if you're not bothered by the massive wieght it can even be mounted on a athlon k7 provided the motherboard has mounting holes.

The thermalright xp-120 seems like a great cooler from the review over at silentpcreview, but it's even more expensive than the zalman, has problems with many motherboards(including mine, it can be installed if you don't mind bending a capacitor or two according to thermalrights web page) and small cases(where it interferes with the PSU). It's lighter and more efficient than the zalman so it's a good buy if you can be bothered to make certain that it will fit before you buy it.

I find that hard drives, even with rubber grommits, and the PSU, even though it's a comparatively silent model, make far more noise than what gets through the case from the zalman sink, so unless you're overclocking the zalman will be fine. The 7700cu and 7700AlCu don't cool much better or run much quieter so I would get the 7000AlCu or 7000Cu if I wasn't going to overclock a whole lot. My northwood p4 is overclocked from 2.4 GHz to 3.0 GHz at stock voltage and maxes out at around 40 C according to the motherboard, at the lowest fan speeds.

For processors the power usage is proportional to Ctotal * f * U^2 as long as you are far away from the minimum required voltage, 0.7 V. Touch the voltage and power usage goes up quickly. Lowering voltage is what has facillitated intel and AMD getting this far, the original pentiums ran at 5V(socket 4), now we are all the way down at around double the theoretical limit. The problem that you will have when approaching 0.7 V is that the alot of current can now leak across even when a transitor is switched off. There's no free lunch any more, a die shrink doesn't yield that much cooler processors, so you can't clock them that much higher. The number of transistors will probably still go up, which is what you care most about in a graphics card because graphics is highly parallellizable but in a single cored CPU, it's much harder putting extra transistors to usefull work.

copper interconnects will keep getting smaller and thinner, which means higher resistance per length of wire, this slows the signal down. Intel R&D is experimenting with sillicon lasers, which might be a usefull replacement for wires in some parts of a processor.

It's going to be exciting to see how the multi-core approach works out for regular applications like games.

...eew, that was a bit of a rant...

six_storm
01-12-05, 09:26 AM
I just about bought the XP90 or XP120 until I found out the prices. WOW! So, while looking on MonarchComputers.com, I found my ThermalTake Venus +7 (check my sig) for a little over $20. It works great, especially for OCing but my memory is bottlenecking my system so I don't have it pushed too far. Pretty great HSF.

Riptide
01-12-05, 09:57 AM
It's going to be exciting to see how the multi-core approach works out for regular applications like games.
It's probably going to be one big yawner when it first comes out. Seriously, unless the game supports it then it will do pretty much nothing for performance. It may be a year or more after availability before we see most games supporting that to any real degree. I'm noowhere near as excited about it as everyone else is. Wake me up when it gets supported. ;)

SignorSalad
01-12-05, 11:10 AM
Good stuff!

Thanks for all the responses

john19055
01-12-05, 03:13 PM
I am useing the Venus 12 and have no complaint and I like the ajustable fan on it and it keeps it cool at least for air it run at 37c idle ane 47c with a load. it is all copper with 72 fins and the fan is not that noiseable even at full speed when overclodcking but when not overclocking I can run it at 3500rpms and it is very queit, and the best thing is it not that expensive.