View Full Version : New Toy - MP3 Player

karkrash81
01-11-05, 10:06 PM
http://portfolio.iu.edu/wflaniga/zen-micro.jpg

Creative Zen Micro...

5 Gigs of storage
FM Radio w/recording
Voice Recording
Can partition part of the drive as a removable disk.
Removable 12 hr litium Ion battery

So far i'm impressed with the Zen Micro. The sound quality is great and so far I've got 820 songs on there with about 2 gigs left. I'm glad I didn't get an Ipod mini.

the only downside is the battery doesn't seem to get 12 hours...other than that, the touch pad is great and it's a breeze to use...

and it's incredibly tiny...

einstein_314
01-11-05, 11:03 PM
wow, the layout of the display (the text being displayed on it) is almost identical to that of my iPod. I can't believe that they can get away with that. I guess that things smaller than my iPod though. Oh well, glad you like it.

aaahhh52
01-12-05, 04:41 PM
http://portfolio.iu.edu/wflaniga/zen-micro.jpg

Creative Zen Micro...

5 Gigs of storage
FM Radio w/recording
Voice Recording
Can partition part of the drive as a removable disk.
Removable 12 hr litium Ion battery

So far i'm impressed with the Zen Micro. The sound quality is great and so far I've got 820 songs on there with about 2 gigs left. I'm glad I didn't get an Ipod mini.

the only downside is the battery doesn't seem to get 12 hours...other than that, the touch pad is great and it's a breeze to use...

and it's incredibly tiny...
very nice, how much?

Sazar
01-12-05, 05:00 PM
I just got my Dell DJ, gonna post pics of it soon as I can...

the display is similar to what you have there, but the button layout is different... my little case and car-kit arrive in the mail today I believe so I will go check it out :D

looks nice btw... and yes, mine is a 5GB hdd too :angel: but the bat life is close to 18hrs on a full charge...

thing is smaller than a pack of cards :D

karkrash81
01-12-05, 09:26 PM
it cost me 250 at compusa...but i've seen it for around 220 online at various sites...

i've heard good things about the dell dj's...

The zen micro has a "dj" feature that will play your most popular songs or your least popular songs...

The voice recording is adequate, though I don't have anything to compare it to...i recorded my newborn baby brother making some noises, but that's about it...

It's sturdy, has a nice weight and seems very well built...

also, there is no dedicated volume rocker...you use the scroll slider to adjust volume while a song is playing...

shaker718
01-12-05, 11:22 PM
dang i want one of those. my minidisc player is on its last legs and im looking for something to take over. does anyone have any experience with the 30gb creative player? its on sale at j&r for 170.00. i think its a deal but i havent read any reviews that are convincing either way

Kojiro
01-13-05, 03:13 AM
If I were going to get a MP3 player, I would get the 30 GB Jukebox from creative labs. For only 200, It is a steal, compared to the slightly smaller (physicaly "actual size" and logicaly "storage capacity") yet 50% (100 dollars for the mentally challenged) more expensive Ipod.

I wish that oggvorbis would be supported. This format totaly blows MP3 and WMA out of the water. CD quality with MP3 is 192Kbps while Ogg is 96Kbps. the standard MP3 is usualy 128kbps which is nearly CD quality when you use Joint stereo which conserves bandwith by Joining the stereo channels (While not entirely Mono, it retains some some of the stereo seperation, however how much seperation is lost is determined by how effective the encoding software's algorithim is.) In other words, most of the song is mono exept some portions of the song where there is a very distinct variance in either channel. With Ogg you don't need to worry about that since the compression quality is so great you don't need to use joint stereo or bit rates higher than 128kbps.

Oh yes, any MP3 over 192 is a waste of space since 192 is already CD quality.
You can re encode these to 192 Kbps without loosing quality (note that encoding from 128 to 192, does not improve quality but actualy makes it worse. Think of it like copping a VHS to a DVD.

WMA is just slighly better than MP3, nuf said.

r2d2d3d4d5
01-13-05, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty happy with my 20GB Archos Recorder. I've had it for 3 years and it's been pretty reliable. Although it doesn’t support OGG/WMA there's alternative firmware for it that includes some games and a text reader. I've mostly run out of space but apparently you can replace it's HDD with a larger one. I'm looking into that.

My dream MP3 player right now would support MP3&OGG and include a DAB radio (which you can record from). I've seen MP3 players that come with FM radios but I've yet to see one with a DAB radio.

I'm a bit worried about MP3s as there seem to be licensing issues with the encoders and companies that used to give them away for free are now charging for them, as they have to pay a license themselves. That's why it would be nice to have the option to use OGG.

Slyder
01-13-05, 03:48 PM
I am so thinking of buying this (http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=I-River+H340) on payday.

I-River make the best MP3 players in my opinion. :p

Tuork
01-15-05, 08:57 PM
I am so thinking of buying this (http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=I-River+H340) on payday.

I-River make the best MP3 players in my opinion. :p

Ooooh.... perdy.

I actually saw the Zen micro some time back. I think it blows the iPod out of the water. I personally don't like the iPod that much.

I currently own a creative labs MuVo NX with a mere 128MB. It's pretty descent, and the USB memory stick functionality is excellent.

The only thing I regret is not having bought a 256mb version.

karkrash81
01-17-05, 05:23 PM
Well, After a couple of weeks with this device I can say i'm pretty happy except with the battery life...

It's supposed to get 12 hours of battery life but I'm lucky if I get 8 hours...Sometimes I don't even get 6...??? All of the songs on it are at 128 bitrate and volume is in the middle....It's very frustrating to say the least.

EngenZerO
01-17-05, 05:38 PM
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~sheikha/image/zen.JPG
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~sheikha/image/zen2.JPG

hmmm... have you noticed your back button is different from my back button.