PDA

View Full Version : The most NOOB thing you have EVER DONE..

Pages : [1] 2

$n][pErMan
01-14-05, 12:37 AM
Inspired by a topic in the graphics forum.... post the most noobish thing you have ever done to your computer and learned from. Here is mine...

The most noob thing I ever did was way back on my old old GeForce 2 Ti ... I got a new motherboard and saw some power slot (like u would see on a hard drive) on the motherboard next to the AGP slot. So i pluged it in.... my poooor Ge2 Ti :( Sucker fried so bad that even to this day I can get the heatsink off the chip as it is part of it now .. lol. After that I got a Ge4 4200 Ti and was happy for some time.... although I would have liked to have not fried it... but learned a very valuable lesson. Even if you know how to build computers like the back of your hand... ALWAYS read the manual anyway when you see new things and don't know what they do!!! :)

jAkUp
01-14-05, 01:13 AM
What was the power slot for?

Anyways, the most n00b thing I ever did was drop a screwdriver on a soundcard WHILE IT WAS ON.
Sparks flew, dead Audigy 2 ZS.

saturnotaku
01-14-05, 01:21 AM
Two things, both done while I was attempting to build my first system.

1) I attempted to install my new motherboard (Abit KT7A) into the case without first putting in the metal standoffs. The board was buckling pretty badly as I attempted to put in the screws.

2) When the machine was all put together and powered on for the first time, everything would spring to life then shut down after a couple seconds. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Then I realized that I had plugged the CPU fan into the wrong header on the motherboard. Switched it and everything was gravy.

Slyder
01-14-05, 01:40 AM
I was working on a friends computer after I finished 2 years on a computer course, and all he wanted was a graphics card change. So I done that without pulling the main plug out of the wall. I not only managed to fry the old card, but the new one, the monitor and the CPU.

I tried to tell him I had one year left. *Doh :angel:

$n][pErMan
01-14-05, 01:53 AM
What was the power slot for?
The slot was for an "AGP Pro" card the manual said. Never heard of that before... not even my new mobo has that extra power slot. Must be some old school stuff... even though that mobo was not terribly old (was a Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra acctually). :p

bkswaney
01-14-05, 02:15 AM
[pErMan']Inspired by a topic in the graphics forum.... post the most noobish thing you have ever done to your computer and learned from. Here is mine...

The most noob thing I ever did was way back on my old old GeForce 2 Ti ... I got a new motherboard and saw some power slot (like u would see on a hard drive) on the motherboard next to the AGP slot. So i pluged it in.... my poooor Ge2 Ti :( Sucker fried so bad that even to this day I can get the heatsink off the chip as it is part of it now .. lol. After that I got a Ge4 4200 Ti and was happy for some time.... although I would have liked to have not fried it... but learned a very valuable lesson. Even if you know how to build computers like the back of your hand... ALWAYS read the manual anyway when you see new things and don't know what they do!!! :)

:rofl:

lostark374
01-14-05, 02:46 AM
did this 2 days ago ...while building my newest rig aka "the jakup stomper" jk i got it all together and as usual when i finished i went out for a smoke (cigarette) and thought about the build ...kinda a ritual for me i do this to make sure ive made no mistakes and as i puffed away i realized that i forgot to put in the cpu ....but i screwed on the heatsink .... i was feeling kinda lame but thats why i smoke before i push the go button....just thought id share that with you all since im new here

superklye
01-14-05, 04:10 AM
1) I attempted to install my new motherboard (Abit KT7A) into the case without first putting in the metal standoffs. The board was buckling pretty badly as I attempted to put in the screws.
Bah! I did that too! I had just gotten a new case after my previous computer (1700+ based) fried after a dust buildup in the PSU caused it to blow.

The old case had built in risers so I never thought about those screws. I figured they were the thumb screws or whatever and I just put my M7NCD Pro in the case right on the metal. Like you, it was buckling like crazy and my GF4 and all the PCI cards just didn't want to sit in the case. After powering it up and it just shutting down after a few seconds, I realized what those screws were for.

I put the screws in and put everything back in the case but the damage had been done: my brand new M7NCD Pro was shot. I had to buy a new one (luckily, it was only $47).

superklye
01-14-05, 04:10 AM
did this 2 days ago ...while building my newest rig aka "the jakup stomper" jk i got it all together and as usual when i finished i went out for a smoke (cigarette) and thought about the build ...kinda a ritual for me i do this to make sure ive made no mistakes and as i puffed away i realized that i forgot to put in the cpu ....but i screwed on the heatsink .... i was feeling kinda lame but thats why i smoke before i push the go button....just thought id share that with you all since im new here
hahahaha...that is so great. Not only did you forget the CPU, but you actually put the heatsink on. hahahah! brilliant! :)

Cota
01-14-05, 05:19 AM
I've never been a newb, I was born a master, but once I almost disarmed my pc completely cause it wouldn't turn on, I had changed the PS and since the previous one didn't have an on/off switch I forgot to turn it on.

But I did that on purpose you know, not because I did a noob thing, you believe me right? I don't make mistakes, all "mistakes" are made on purpose, for a reason I can't reveal yet.

:D :D :D :angel:

Smokey
01-14-05, 05:43 AM
Noobest thing I ever did, was when I had tried to install Win98 for like the forth time, read that it could be the 56k modem causing probs, so I just yanked it out while the pc was still on. I was just annoyed that I was thinking, ended up frying both the modem and my SBLive as I touched the soundcard at the sametime :(

npras42
01-14-05, 06:41 AM
Got a Wireless G Card which wasnt of any big name brand (SparkLan I think). Put it in the PCI socket and then tried to screw on to the case. It wouldnt screw in. It wasnt anything I as doing wrong, the plate on the PCI card was just out of line with that on the case. So I took it out, contemplated bending metal with pliers until it started lining up, but hen decided I couldnt be bothered. Saw a roll of selotape next to me and just selotaped the thing to the case.

Booted up my PC, installed drivers. Was working fine. 10 minutes later I hear a clunk, and my wireless gets disconnected. Wireless card fell down and broke. Landed on my Audigy2 ZS and fried it.

Bad_Boy
01-14-05, 06:42 AM
I was trying to hide wires one day when I got my new Lian-Li pc65B, and I took apart the molex casing for a vantec spectrum fan card, put the wires threw a hole in the mobo and then through a hole in the mobo tray, put the wires back up to the molex casing. but little did I know I put the wires back in wrong, so when I turned on the computer, boom. dead fan card. :\

Im getting another one, and ill be doing the same thing (hiding the wires through the mobo), but this time ill know to put it back the right way :P

Daneel Olivaw
01-14-05, 07:19 AM
Got a Wireless G Card which wasnt of any big name brand (SparkLan I think). Put it in the PCI socket and then tried to screw on to the case. It wouldnt screw in. It wasnt anything I as doing wrong, the plate on the PCI card was just out of line with that on the case. So I took it out, contemplated bending metal with pliers until it started lining up, but hen decided I couldnt be bothered. Saw a roll of selotape next to me and just selotaped the thing to the case.

Booted up my PC, installed drivers. Was working fine. 10 minutes later I hear a clunk, and my wireless gets disconnected. Wireless card fell down and broke. Landed on my Audigy2 ZS and fried it.

That one's just weird :)

Mr_LoL
01-14-05, 07:46 AM
the most noobish thing i have done is throw my tower out of the window(on cround floor) when my hard drive failed and i lost everything. I was in such a rage i smashed my keyboard picked up my tower with all the cables and lobbed it out. 5 minutes later i regretted it. nothing broke though :angel:

Pandora's Box
01-14-05, 08:25 AM
i didnt put the power connector on right for the floppy drive. turned on the computer. BANG. omfg scared the **** out of me. was an awfull smell too. Floppy Drive no longer works but power supply seems to be ok (antec true430)

ENU291
01-14-05, 08:26 AM
Back in 1998 I was working as a CompUSA upgrade technician and I attempted to install a NIC card into a customer's PC while he waited. (We were in plain site so the customer was watching all this) I opened PC and the NIC card box and proceeded with the install. Right away I ran into the problem that the card would not fit into the ISA slot. I tried everything possible with no luck so I just braced myself and rammed that damn card in with every ounce of strenght I could muster! I somehow managed to get it seated, screwed it down, closed the case and powered up the PC. After about 3 seconds a puff of smoke and the sweet smell of burnt silicon filled the entire store. After inspection I found that I installed a PCI NIC card into one of the ISA slots on the motherboard!!! :angel:

$n][pErMan
01-14-05, 10:03 AM
After about 3 seconds a puff of smoke and the sweet smell of burnt silicon filled the entire store. After inspection I found that I installed a PCI NIC card into one of the ISA slots on the motherboard!!!
LoL.... and not to mention .. all while the guy was watching :p

Pandora's Box
01-14-05, 10:04 AM
what did the guy say? what did your manager say?

zoomy942
01-14-05, 10:41 AM
hmm the worst thing i have ever done...

about a year ago i was helping someone with what we thought was a dead power supply.. i turned on the pc and the fans came on and thats it. i was l;ooking into it, and my finger touched the PSU, which normally isnt a big deal, and my hand starting getting hit with electricity. it was to the point that i couldnt pull it away. well, my friend yanked it off and my hand was numb for a week.

maybe thats why i forget to hook up CPU fans all the time? thats my noob-weakness, those dang cpu fans

Riptide
01-14-05, 11:16 AM
My first slot type CPU install... Previously I had been used to 486/386 CPUs which had a pin array and ZIF type socket. With the new Pentium 3 machine I was putting together I had never set up a SLOT 1 CPU before. Seems easy enough right? Well it should've been. :)

My Abit BE6-II came without the plastic "runners" attached. You had to insert them and then push the pins through the holes so they would then lock it in place. Well, being a complete morAn I tried to force it through the holes with the pins already pushed through. Oops... I used a screwdriver and it slipped, trashing the board.

Pandora's Box
01-14-05, 11:19 AM
lol

Tr1cK
01-14-05, 12:00 PM
I had been working on my K62-400 system. Had taken the 'heatspreader' off the top of the chip to put the HSF on the bare silicon. Was in such an anxious rush, I didnt put it back on before firing it up. It didnt even come up for a second, fried instantly. That heatspreader is still my keychain to this day. Very nostalgic.

InqWoN1776
01-14-05, 12:30 PM
I've managed to destroy two pieces of hardware. I've had about 5 different systems in the past like 8 years, so I guess it isn't that bad.

1. On my p3 866, voodoo5 5500 computer I was moving around a hard drive while the computer was running and it went out. There was a little spark. It was a spare so I wasn't hurting too bad.

2. On my AthlonXp 1900+, geforce4 ti4200 computer... I tried to change the multiplier and the processor wasn't unlocked. Fortunately, the mobo was the only thing that went out. That mobo was cheap anyways. My mom was soo pissed that she made me go pick up another mobo that day. Which meant I couldn't order online and the only store around was CompUsa which is overpriced. I spent $200 on an Asus mobo.

$n][pErMan
01-14-05, 12:49 PM
I tried to change the multiplier and the processor wasn't unlocked. Fortunately, the mobo was the only thing that went out. That mobo was cheap anyways.
That should have been easy to fix with a cmos reset on the JP5 jumper. Did it not have a resset jumper? Thats how I found out my current CPU is locked... I changed the mult and the FSB and it would not even post. Reset the cmos... OC'ed on the FSB .. and im running good.