PDA

View Full Version : I've done it...I've gone to the darkside..(confession)

intercede007
01-14-05, 09:23 PM
They did it. In a single press conferance, they managed to evaporate every excuse I ever had to purchasing one of their computing products.

In 3 weeks, I will be shipped....

http://members.cox.net/intercede007/mini.jpg

..my Mac Mini :D

I went to BestBuy this morning and bought a second monitor identical to the one I currently have (and probably the PC related purchase I've been the happiest with) - a 19' ViewSonic A91F+. I'm going to hook it into a KVM. I always wanted a second unit to do dual heads for my desktop..now I get dual heads and a monitor for my new toy!

I ordered the 1.42GHZ G4 Mac Mini w/ 512MB DDR333 for $753. I've been in love with OS X on my best friends PowerBook G4, and now I get a machine with it all to myself.

It's finally been confirmed that the G5 PowerBook will be available around June this year. All goes well with my Mac Mini, and there will be another Apple product calling my desktop home :)

Mr. Hunt
01-14-05, 11:10 PM
How could you?

Tuork
01-15-05, 12:07 AM
*****s shotgun*

1... 2... 3...

Kidding. To each his own, mate.
I personally like the look of OS X, but I don't particularly like how it works (commands and the like). Maybe I've just grown accustomed to Windows... baaaad.

zoomy942
01-15-05, 12:11 AM
how are you going to be able to funtion without a right click?

superklye
01-15-05, 02:10 AM
:rofl

i'm dying...this was awesome.

vampireuk
01-15-05, 05:17 AM
Holy crap, I read this thread title and thought you joined the democratic party :angel:

retsam
01-15-05, 05:46 AM
how are you going to be able to funtion without a right click? he could always run linux... thats a real O.S anyways

Slyder
01-15-05, 06:21 AM
he could always run linux... thats a real O.S anyways

*Looks thru his games collection (currently over 670)

I think these 3 will work. :p

intercede007
01-15-05, 07:44 AM

That's easy. Just like the G4 and G5, you can plug any USB mouse into it and it will function just like it does under Windows.

intercede007
01-15-05, 07:45 AM
he could always run linux... thats a real O.S anyways

OS X uses the linux kernel and backend. In reality, it's just like any other distro, it's just tailor made for a very narrow range of hardware.

retsam
01-15-05, 07:54 AM
OS X uses the linux kernel and backend. In reality, it's just like any other distro, it's just tailor made for a very narrow range of hardware umm no! umm sorry to say you really dont know what your talking about. it uses the free bsd (unix) system structure and kernal (mach kernel) and please dont tell me they are the same thing becouse they are not...

here is a basic definition of os x

here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X)

intercede007
01-15-05, 07:57 AM
...i dont get it. is this the system unit? or the cdrom drive? :)

Which is the beauty of it!

It's basically a G4 powerbook without the battery. It will fit anywhere, I can even hide it if I want to, or I may just bring it out to the TV and hook it up there.

Can't wait :D

intercede007
01-15-05, 07:57 AM
umm no! umm sorry to say you really dont know what your talking about. it uses the free bsd (unix) system structure and kernal (mach kernel) and please dont tell me they are the same thing becouse they are not...

here is a basic definition of os x

here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X)

Wow...guess I don't.

Don't much care either. Never had much success with Linux.

Have fun with that!

oldsk00l
01-16-05, 01:58 PM
Wow...guess I don't.

Don't much care either. Never had much success with Linux.

Have fun with that!
You're going to love it though. Don't fret too much about having less RAM. I also think having a "slower" CPU doesn't hurt as much as with Windows (or Linux for that matter).

In OSX the kernel scheduler manages CPU time and RAM far more efficiently. The kernel being a BSD Mach kernel, was a great move.

I've compared FreeBSD on the PC compared to Linux and Windows. BSD's resource management is a hair better than Linux's, especially in multitasking. In BSD I could regularly have a port compiling while watching divx videos, etc whereas in Linux it would hiccup. If I tried to compile and watch a movie in Windows on the same hardware - forget it.

I have no idea how a 1.25GHz G4 stacks up to say an Athlon XP clock for clock though, but the default kernel being BSD I think it's a bit unfair for the x86 side of things being hampered by the NT kernels in most benchmarks people have done (where the PPC wins, it goes both way for compiler optimizations, where the PPC has zilch it seems, and the G4/G5 will sometimes lose overwhelmingly).

$n][pErMan
01-16-05, 06:24 PM
Holy crap, I read this thread title and thought you joined the democratic party
hahahahaha. :D

If I had spare money.. id buy one to just dick around with. But id rather spend that money upgrading parts in my gaming or linux computer. No spare cash for a Mac yet.

Blasphemer
01-17-05, 01:39 PM
Which is the beauty of it!

It's basically a G4 powerbook without the battery. It will fit anywhere, I can even hide it if I want to, or I may just bring it out to the TV and hook it up there.

Can't wait :D
Might have a problem hooking it up to a TV, as i dont think they have svideo or composite TV out.
Anyway, overpriced and old tech. :thumbdwn:

netviper13
01-17-05, 01:58 PM
Might have a problem hooking it up to a TV, as i dont think they have svideo or composite TV out.

IIRC, you can buy an adapter from Apple for less than $20.

oldsk00l
01-17-05, 02:03 PM

Overpriced if you're shopping for DIY with linux. If you're looking for a cheap desktop to watch movies, burn music cd's, manage your photos, finances, and warcraft3, MAYBE ut2k4 (with everything on lowest), and office type stuff...the PC world does not have a better deal.

You can try pricing out cheapo components, but price in the addition of XP, Quicken, and some productivity software...and NO Openoffice is NOT viable.