PDA

View Full Version : Temporary system w/o case

Clay
01-14-05, 11:58 PM
I've done this before but it's been a while so I thought I'd ask for any tips/warnings/etc.

I need to build a temporary system and I prefer to not use a case. So, it would be a naked motherboard with PSU, monitor, etc attached. My obvious concern is that of grounding. I don't have a frame for this purpose which I know are available.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

GlowStick
01-15-05, 12:33 AM
Ah yes, use a phone book for the mobo, the rest can be layed out next to it!

Clay
01-15-05, 12:34 AM
Thanks! I was hoping that that approach was still "acceptable". The last time I think I used a large dictionary. :) Thanks again.

superklye
01-15-05, 01:01 AM
This is so ghetto-ly awesome it brings a tear to my eye.

Clay
01-15-05, 01:07 AM
Yeah I should take a picture...this would probably give some technician from the UL (http://www.ul.com/) a heart attack. :D

GlowStick
01-15-05, 01:12 AM
Yeah I should take a picture...this would probably give some technician from the UL (http://www.ul.com/) a heart attack. :D
Hah yeah!

Oh yeah, i use the phonebook technique alot when peiceing together a system!

Good luck :D

Clay
01-15-05, 01:17 AM
I'll post some pics here shortly. Heh, this is a stroll down memory lane for me. I've used at least a motherboard tray (and mostly gone with a complete case) for the systems I've built over the past five years or so.

Clay
01-15-05, 01:26 AM
Please don't judge my tidy-factor by these pics. :D My area and rigs are usually very neat but tonight it is...an...abomination. :eek:

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/00.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/01.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/02.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/03.jpg

superklye
01-15-05, 01:38 AM
hahahahaha

these are the best pictures I've seen in a long time and it brings back memories of a funny customer-support-story-from-hell...

My friend Lucas bought a Dell and was having all sorts of problems with heat. The computer wouldn't be on for more than a minute before it would shut off due to massive heat issues. The only problem was that there WAS no heat issue. He opened the case, took everything out, reseated the CPU and everything with AS5 and still, the sensors said the CPU was at like 115C.

So he called Dell and the guy asked him if he had tried running the mobo outside the case. Lucas just hung up on him and bought a whole new mobo to put in the Dell case.

I didn't think people really did this but now...now my life is complete. :)

$n][pErMan
01-15-05, 01:50 AM
what the hell are you doing?!?! it looks like you have a perfectly good computer in the case :p Just cant wait or something? :)

Clay
01-15-05, 01:58 AM
[pErMan']what the hell are you doing?!?! it looks like you have a perfectly good computer in the case :p Just cant wait or something? :)
Heheheh... Well, I'm getting ready to work on a review for the site here of an eVGA 6600GT SLI setup on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo w/AMD64 3500+ (Newcastle so just 0.13micron). I'm not keeping these particular parts for long and I was just not in the mood to dismantle most of my current setup in the case. :)

@sk: glad your life is now complete :D good story too. :D

Rytr
01-15-05, 02:10 AM
Hehehe! :cool:

Clay
01-15-05, 02:18 AM
Hehehe! :cool:
Dun laugh at me...I've seen your mad scientist laboratory. :angel:

superklye
01-15-05, 02:28 AM
@sk: glad your life is now complete :D good story too. :D
I couldn't have done it without your help.

Man...seeing that mobo out reminds me of the early 90s when my dad used to put his albums on and he would grab my brother and I and say "If you so much as breath too heavily and my record gets scratched, there will be hell to pay"...and that was for a piece of vinyl. I can only imagine what he might say now if he was pulling something like this. :)

saturnotaku
01-15-05, 02:29 AM
Vash would be so proud of you. I remember playing Q3A on his old dual CPU capable Celeron box with an AGP TNT. No case or anything. It was totally ghetto, but totally cool at the same time. How long do you get to keep those parts Clay?

Clay
01-15-05, 02:36 AM
@sk: no kidding, I have two boys (3.5 yrs and 1.5 yrs old)....they know better than to come near "Da-da's stuff". :D

@sat: I remember playing the original Doom off an original Zip 100. Now that was wild at the time. :D Eh, I keep these just long enough to get a concise review (not my typical harangue) completed. :D

jAkUp
01-15-05, 02:51 AM
haha thats beautiful :)

superklye
01-15-05, 03:45 AM
I was just thinking...the people that sent you this rig to test, they don't come here do they? They may not appreciate seeing their products on top of a dictionary... :p

GlowStick
01-15-05, 07:23 PM
Nice pics, and definatly id not rip out a system to something you gotta take out again!

Its fine the way it is ;o

Tuork
01-15-05, 08:41 PM
Nice pics, and definatly id not rip out a system to something you gotta take out again!

Its fine the way it is ;o

However, not to spoil your fun or anything :p, but wouldn't this "setup" cause the temperatures to differ from those when it is actially inside a case?

Just a thought.

BTW, I had always thought of building a case-less system that you could bolt to the back of a desk... although it would need something to protect it and keep it safe from insane amounts of dust.

Clay
01-15-05, 11:33 PM
However, not to spoil your fun or anything :p, but wouldn't this "setup" cause the temperatures to differ from those when it is actially inside a case?

Just a thought.Yes, good point and one that I considered before beginning. This review is to be short/concise and wilth focus just on benchmarking differences between single and dual GPUs, not temperatures.

Pandora's Box
01-15-05, 11:50 PM
just be glad you dont have cats. i find it almost impossible to work on my computer with them around. so god damned inquisitive. have to investigate. once one of them jumped inside my case while i was getting a drink. i came back and was like omfg stupid cat.

MikeC
01-15-05, 11:52 PM
I was just thinking...the people that sent you this rig to test, they don't come here do they? They may not appreciate seeing their products on top of a dictionary... :p

I live here and whatever Clay does to the rig is fine by me. :)

superklye
01-16-05, 03:15 AM
heh, fair enough. :)