PDA

View Full Version : 802.11b too slow for streaming video?

Jon
01-15-05, 10:07 AM
I'm currently trying to stream video from my main PC to my PDA using a 802.11b wireless network. The video is in wmv format and is streaming at 241kbps. However, every few seconds the video hiccups. If I copy the whole file to my PDA, it plays fine.

I'm monitoring network usage and the connection is maintaining a constant 241kbps, sometimes higher, sometimes a bit lower. But not often enough to match the hiccups. Since there are now 802.11g compact flash cards, would buying one of these solve my problem?

Also, I realise 802.11b probably never reaches anything near 11mbps... but I only want 241kbps!!! Anyone got any ideas?

npras42
01-15-05, 10:21 AM
It should EASILY be able to handle that. 241kb/sec is like 30KBytes per sec. I'd say that upgrading to 802.11g wouldnt help you much. I think your problem lies more on your PDA side not being able to handle the stream correctly. What software is it using? Try something else. I'm not sure what though. I would certainly exhaust this avenue before spending money on a 11g card (which I know arent all that expensive but still). :)

oldsk00l
01-15-05, 01:20 PM
I'm currently trying to stream video from my main PC to my PDA using a 802.11b wireless network. The video is in wmv format and is streaming at 241kbps. However, every few seconds the video hiccups. If I copy the whole file to my PDA, it plays fine.

I'm monitoring network usage and the connection is maintaining a constant 241kbps, sometimes higher, sometimes a bit lower. But not often enough to match the hiccups. Since there are now 802.11g compact flash cards, would buying one of these solve my problem?

Also, I realise 802.11b probably never reaches anything near 11mbps... but I only want 241kbps!!! Anyone got any ideas?

ummm.....I am able to saturate 802.11b EASILY in transferring files and stuff....There has to be some issue with your PDA or radio noise near your access points.

Bad_Boy
01-15-05, 06:09 PM
i didnt know you could stream video to a pda. ooo...
my dad has a sony clie, and my mom has a zire 72.
and i just so happen to have a wireless router :p

can you guys enlighten me on how to stream movies?

oldsk00l
01-15-05, 06:12 PM
The dell Axim x50v can do this pretty good.

FierceDeityLink
01-15-05, 06:40 PM
i didnt know you could stream video to a pda. ooo...
my dad has a sony clie, and my mom has a zire 72.
and i just so happen to have a wireless router :p

can you guys enlighten me on how to stream movies?
Palms... not that good at wireless...

PocketPCs can do it easily simply because it has SAMBA integration.

Jason_25
01-15-05, 07:14 PM
Yeah there's a problem with your pocket pc or your wireless is tweaking out. I have an Asus A620 pocket PC (530 mhz) with a sandisk 802.11b card and have no problem streaming wmv surfcams from a couple different sites.

Jon
01-16-05, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have converted the DVDs I want to watch to 320x240 wmv files (Each weighs about 150mb). These are stored in a shared folder on my PCs hard disc. At the moment, I am simply opening these files in windows media on my PDA. This is where I am having the problems with the pausing.

However, yesterday I had a play around with Windows Media Encoder. When running media encoder on my PC and using media player on my PDA, I have no problems or pauses with the video. Its not ideal as I have to create a new session for each video I want to watch, but this works fine across my wireless connection. Don't know if its because it has better caching, better broadcasting or simply takes some of the processing off the PDA.

$n][pErMan
01-16-05, 01:31 PM
My laptop has both G and B support. At home I use G .. on campus I have to use B because the campus network is B. And to be honest... B seems just as fast as G. Hell .. I think B is like 11mb/sec and G is 54mb/sec... so I dont think B is your problem ;)