PDA

View Full Version : -::: Battlefield 2 :::-

Pages : [1] 2

circuitbreaker8
01-15-05, 04:02 PM
This game really looks like its coming along, and I heard its aimed to come out sometime in March. We can expect a demo in the begining of Febuary ( according to my sources ) Anyways, EA just ( kinda ) opened up their new site for BF2 here : Battlefield 2 official site (http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/home.jsp)

I cant wait for this game. I'm a die hard Desert Combat fan, so I hope this is better. One thing im worried about is the performance. I know its a totaly new engine from BF:V, but it still doesnt look like it would run well. Many testers complained about the performance also. Oh well, they have some time to fix everything up, hopefully they will.

SH64
01-15-05, 04:22 PM
As long as there a SP campaign or with bots in BF2 , i'll be interested .
from a short gameplay video i saw from a while the game looks to be fun ... & agree with you that bad performance needs to be fixed .

circuitbreaker8
01-15-05, 08:10 PM
Battlefield is all about the MP bro :D Its probably the only game I play on my computer right now ( Desert Combat mostly ) Pretty sad if you think about it lol but I never found those "next-gen" games all that fun.

retsam
01-15-05, 08:22 PM
any release dates yet??? i love bfv and bf 1942

stncttr908
01-15-05, 10:50 PM
Battlefield is all about the MP bro :D Its probably the only game I play on my computer right now ( Desert Combat mostly ) Pretty sad if you think about it lol but I never found those "next-gen" games all that fun.That sucks considering you dropped $400 on a video card alone. ;)

I'm also looking forward to this one.

MUYA
01-16-05, 12:37 AM
Interetsing but no bumpyness?

Mr. Hunt
01-16-05, 12:46 AM
Too bad I hate EA with a passion... and the other BF games :\.

MustangSVT
01-16-05, 12:47 AM
This is really the only game I'm looking forward to this year. Battlefield is my favorite series of all time so far, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the next one.

What I want is much better models, textures on environment and big draw distance. Also, it'd be nice if I can play with AA and AF on. With BFV, it gets sluggish if I try play at 1024x768 4xAA 16xAF on my computer, and I don't exactly have a weak comp (barton 2.4ghz, 6800gt@425/1150, 1gb ddr400). Hopefully, DICE knows what they're doing. :cool:

Greg
01-16-05, 06:06 AM
I looked at the BF2 vids and I didn't notice anything new from the existing BF games. No deforming terrain, no destructable structures, no destructable trees. Just the next step up in art work and different set of vehicles / weapons. Don't get me wrong, it looked great, just next-years-more-of-the-same.

Intel17
01-16-05, 07:41 AM
Looks neat!

circuitbreaker8
01-16-05, 11:51 AM
That sucks considering you dropped $400 on a video card alone. ;)

I'm also looking forward to this one.

Haha, actually I only payed 200$ for my GT :eek:

I got my moneys worth though, I played Doom 3, Half Life 2, and *most* of FC @ 1600x1200 with 2xAA and 16xAF. They just never really had any replay value for me.

circuitbreaker8
01-16-05, 11:52 AM
I looked at the BF2 vids and I didn't notice anything new from the existing BF games. No deforming terrain, no destructable structures, no destructable trees. Just the next step up in art work and different set of vehicles / weapons. Don't get me wrong, it looked great, just next-years-more-of-the-same.

I dont think they could've made that happen in a MP game w/ 64 players. There is destructable terrain though, but its limited.

Sgt_Pitt
01-16-05, 10:14 PM
Maybe some of you just dont have the skill to cut it on the battlefield =P, one of the best MP games ever to grace the PC without a doubt is the BF series.

Easily accessible, yet hard to master

Sgt_Pitt
01-16-05, 10:17 PM
I dont think they could've made that happen in a MP game w/ 64 players. There is destructable terrain though, but its limited.

destructable terrian should be easy, most of it should be client side, all the server side has to do is send the message that the bridge, tower, whatever is destroyed, the animation could be plyed back on the client side, with the animation being the same on everyones pc stored locally.

circuitbreaker8
01-16-05, 11:33 PM
destructable terrian should be easy, most of it should be client side, all the server side has to do is send the message that the bridge, tower, whatever is destroyed, the animation could be plyed back on the client side, with the animation being the same on everyones pc stored locally.

Well, like I said, there is some destructable terrain, its just limited to stuff like bridges and stuff.

six_storm
01-17-05, 09:52 AM
Wow, never really paid much attention to this game before! Looks great. The only thing that I don't like is the rank factor. You either have to be a special ops guy, medic, or etc. Why can't you just go out and fight? I like to mix it up and be a little bit of this and that. Anyways, can't wait to try out a demo.

circuitbreaker8
01-17-05, 12:50 PM
I really hope EA puts some extra slave hours on their workers so we can get some maps from Desert Combat....Lost Village and Barshas (sp?) Edge would own :D

Parts
01-17-05, 02:20 PM

Client side things just scream "HACK ME"

not that you could really find a way to exploit blowing up a bridge.. all it would really do is appear to be there but not be there etc.

circuitbreaker8
01-17-05, 04:02 PM
I was just playing Desert Combat and I was talking to some guy that tested BF2 for his site. He said the gameplay is MUCH MUCH MUCH smoother. Some things he pointed out:

*You no longer loose health if you jump off something thats like 3 feet high ( BF players know what i'm talking about )

*Everything is much more fluid and smooth ( animations, vehicles, physics etc.. )

*Graphics are a lot better than DC, but he played an early build, so they're probably better

*BF2 actually gives you a feeling that you're not shooting paper ( felt like you were shooting air in 1942' )

*Sniping is a little harder than DC

So it looks like this game is going to own, cant wait for some mods :D

Battlefield 2....Xtreme! :D :D

MustangSVT
01-17-05, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure focusing on stuff like destructable terrain has its own disadvantage. Soldner has destructable buildings and trees, and look how that game ended up. It has like 5 year old graphics.

Greg
01-17-05, 09:06 PM
I'm pretty sure focusing on stuff like destructable terrain has its own disadvantage. Soldner has destructable buildings and trees, and look how that game ended up. It has like 5 year old graphics.

I'm personally not too fussed about the deformable terrain. I really do think destructable trees and some buildings are important. A tank taking damage from hitting a sapling is pathetic. Knocking out a bridge to stop vehicles would be a nice tactic. Operation Flashpoint had most of these features and look how it turned out, years old and still one of the best games of its class. Underhyped but sold >1mil copies. Soldner was... not all it was cracked up to be. What I'd like to see from BF2 is significantly more than a graphics update. I think it probably will be. Promotional videos never show how gameplay feels.

CaptNKILL
01-17-05, 11:04 PM
One thing I want more than anything is real missions with real objectives.

As fun as BF1942 is (especially DC Final) theres really nothing to it. Its all just Team DM with a slight twist (CTF or Conquest). With most games this isnt a problem for multiplayer but this is a war game. There should be objectives and missions. At the VERY least for single player, but multiplayer would be awesome with objectives.

Theres a map for DC where the opposition have to defend weapons factories from attacking US soldiers. This map can be really fun (though it needs some balancing... its too difficult for the opposition to win most of the time) because its so different than the other maps.

Id like to see RTS style missions for BF2. You know how amazing it would be to have missions like the ones in Command and Conquer? Get engineers into X building. Support special ops so they can get to X building\vehicle and destroy it. Assassinate a diplomat (who respawns... heh... to keep it going). Or single point conquest maps. 2 heavily guarded bases (plenty of defensive guns and walls), nothing in between. Just defend your base while planning an attack on the enemy's.

This is what I want to see in BF2. If it has these things, ill even forgive crappy performance (which I have come to expect from Battlefield games). I just hope it isnt like BFV. That game just isnt fun at all.

MustangSVT
01-17-05, 11:20 PM
Well I'm sure to like it. Unlike you CaptNKILL (no disrespect meant), I loved BF1942 completely, it's my favorite game of all time currently since I've been playing games in 1993, and BFV was basically my game of the year for 2004 since I played it the most, especially with my clan. Again, this is my own opinion, and since I'm such a huge BF fan, I think I'll love BF2 greatly. :D

CaptNKILL
01-17-05, 11:25 PM
Well I'm sure to like it. Unlike you CaptNKILL (no disrespect meant), I loved BF1942 completely, it's my favorite game of all time currently since I've been playing games in 1993, and BFV was basically my game of the year for 2004 since I played it the most, especially with my clan. Again, this is my own opinion, and since I'm such a huge BF fan, I think I'll love BF2 greatly. :D
Oh dont get me wrong, I love BF1942 as well. I just hope they add more to it.

And I still cant quite put my finger on what I didnt like about BFV. It was probably the performance mixed with it just being a difficult game. It made it too frustrating for me to enjoy most of the time (though I did have some good games).

MustangSVT
01-17-05, 11:49 PM
What I would like to see from BF2 (or future BF games) is bigger flexibility, similar to Joint Ops. Like have a chopper, and actually jump through an open door into it and take a set position realistically, not click "E" outside of the vehicle. Also have ropes from the choppers, and lastly, have really really good draw distance (like similar to FarCry). Also in the future, deformable terrain, and deformable vehicles (similar to Halo2, maybe better :o ), I'd like to see.

Too bad I didn't like Joint Ops. Hated the demo.