PDA

View Full Version : I Gotta Say it..Far Cry: Game of the Year

Pages : [1] 2

Killroy X
01-15-05, 10:52 PM
I had to give this one alot of thought. Let's face it, 2004 was a great year for PC gaming. For just a sample, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Painkiller, Chronicles of Riddick..the list goes on. But after playing them all and sitting back to take it all in for a couple of weeks, I have to say that overall Far Cry is the clear winner in my book.

Yes, HL2 had a great story and Doom 3 has exceptional graphics. But those 2 games had the backing of their predecesors and had a huge following. I think that made up for some of the hype and in some cases, the high ratings they got. Don't get me wrong, I loved the both. but Crytek, being the rookie that they are, came in and stunned alot of us in the community with its refreshing gameplay and ridiculous graphics. I don't think anybody knew how good Far Cry would actually be. For me it surpassed my expectation 10-fold.

When you think of the scale, graphics, non-linear gameplay, hell even the story..I'm trying to figure out how anyone couldn't agree with me on this. Is it a perfect game, heck no! It has flaws, but what game doesn't. I didn't like the voice acting, A.I. isn't the best, quick saving not an option? Huh? But I can overlook these weaknesses by looking towards the games strengths.

Anyway, soapbox is over. I'm actually starting to play this one again after a 3 month hiatus. What's great about Far Cry's replayability is that it's actually playing like a new game. Can't say that for the games mentioned previously. :)

saturnotaku
01-16-05, 01:17 AM
My list:

Half-Life 2 > Riddick > Far Cry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doom 3

I had Far Cry first for a while, but after playing through Half-Life 2 a second time it's easily tops in my book. Plus what they did for Half-Life: Source is impressive. I'm playing through Riddick right now, and I'm more engrossed in it than I ever was with Far Cry. Riddick, while not as graphically stunning, has a better story, better voice acting and is challenging without being frustratingly difficult - it's superior to Far Cry in all these respects.

jAkUp
01-16-05, 01:55 AM
I also liked Riddick better than FarCry. I just love creeping around..hehe

superklye
01-16-05, 02:14 AM
I also liked Riddick better than FarCry. I just love creeping around..hehe
I didn't get all that far into FC due to lack of patience and being far to freaked out to play it at night in my creaky apartment alone. There were some tense areas and it was just too much for me to handle.

Never played Riddick. Is there a demo?

jAkUp
01-16-05, 02:48 AM
Sadly no :( The game is only $25 so you don't have much to lose ;) One of the best games I've played all year, if not the best.

superklye
01-16-05, 02:50 AM
I think I may have to check it out then...everyone, including Penny-Arcade, has been orgasmic over this game.

MX/MX400
01-16-05, 02:54 AM
Haven't played Riddick yet, but out of D3/HL2/FC... I'd say there's no real clear cut winner.

I thought D3 looked stunning (best gfx of the 3 imo), and loved the errie feel of it. That game had one of the most immersive environments I've seen in a game to date (I'm one of the people who actually likes having to switch between the flashlight/gun in D3... makes things way more intense IMO). Only problem was the game's combat system itself wasn't very deep, but it didn't really need to be considering the effect it was going for... oh and a lot of the guns sounded crappy.

HL2 easily had the most interesting storyline, and Valve really made City 17 seem alive with all of the in-game "cutscenes." The source engine added a great deal of realism to the whole thing too. And, even though its gfx engine isn't as intense as D3/FC's, I think this game was closer, artistically speaking, to making everything look real. I was kinda disapointed though by how linear the whole thing was. I suppose it was necessary to keep its cohessive storyline going but still, I wasn't expecting everything to be THAT heavily scripted.

FC, had the absolute best combat engine out of them all (lean button for teh win!1). It was basically what I'd expect a single player version of CS to be. Great sounds, great AI, and HUGE, gorgeous enviroments. My only real gripes with it were the fact that at a point, it becomes kinda monotonous. It's reeeally long, and with a weak story (with even weaker voice acting) tying the whole thing together it got kinda boring for me. Also I didn't really like the plastic look for the character models but that's a matetr of preference.

All in all I really loved all three. I can't pick just one... good thing I have a job :p

BioHazZarD
01-16-05, 04:23 AM
Farcry would be game of the year if they would have skipped the monsters it just looked stupid. They said it would be a fps on islands not suddenly fight stupids monsters etc.. But the game is good still but not game of the year no way.

Doom3->HL2->Farcry->Riddick->Painkiller

OWA
01-16-05, 06:48 AM
While I don't think Far Cry is the game of the year, it definitely had the biggest wow factor for me graphics-wise. That may be why I never bothered to finish the game. I spent so much time jumping around the various levels just looking at the graphics that I think I ruined it gameplay-wise (since I had seen everything by the time I got ready to play it for real).

npras42
01-16-05, 07:00 AM
Riddick...>>> everything else equal (almost)

Mr_LoL
01-16-05, 08:07 AM
far cry made me sh*t my pants especially those invisible thingies. i still havent finished it yet. too scared :D

Sazar
01-16-05, 10:09 AM
might have to give riddick a go at this rate...

how is the performance overall?

does it play better than far cry/hl2/d3 wrt frame-rate?

jAkUp
01-16-05, 11:23 AM
On 2.0 mode it plays great, on 2.0++ mode the performance is terrible, but it looks the same so son't even bother with it :)

CaptNKILL
01-16-05, 11:24 AM
might have to give riddick a go at this rate...

how is the performance overall?

does it play better than far cry/hl2/d3 wrt frame-rate?
I dont remember any slowdowns and I ran at 1600x1200 8xAF. It was always running smooth. All the time. One spot with lots of smoke it was in the 30s, but that was the only spot.

Riddick is an awesome game :)

jAkUp
01-16-05, 11:31 AM
Riddick is an awesome game :)

So true ;)

Off topic:
Hey Captnkill, why does your avatar move so fast in mozilla??!! LOL I just started using this browser and just noticed.

Sazar
01-16-05, 11:37 AM
is farcry a lot faster with patch 1.3?

I am still patched to 1.1 only...

CaptNKILL
01-16-05, 11:38 AM
So true ;)

Off topic:
Hey Captnkill, why does your avatar move so fast in mozilla??!! LOL I just started using this browser and just noticed.
Everyone says this! Browsers other than IE seem to have problems with my avatar. I made it in Animation Shop 3 and it isnt supposed to be super fast. Its actually pretty slow. I'll have to download Firefox or something to see what its all about.

BioHazZarD
01-16-05, 02:18 PM

Well i didnt see any performance increase over 1.2

SH64
01-16-05, 02:28 PM

For the 6800 series .. Yep! .. but not "a lot" .

OWA
01-16-05, 03:21 PM

Wow, I just realized you have a 6800U. I thought you were an ATI guy? :)

I didn't notice a lot of improvement with the 1.3 patch (like sh64 already mentioned -- just a small improvement). I like being able to play with HDR though and I think that was also added with 1.3.

Slyder
01-16-05, 03:48 PM
GOTY for me is CoD : UO - Nothing comes close. :)

Sazar
01-16-05, 03:51 PM
i got one :)

still burning it in but also trying to figure out if i should stick with it or rtrn it and wait...

Edge
01-16-05, 06:09 PM
Everyone says this! Browsers other than IE seem to have problems with my avatar. I made it in Animation Shop 3 and it isnt supposed to be super fast. Its actually pretty slow. I'll have to download Firefox or something to see what its all about.

Huh...I think you just answered a question I've had about GIF animations for the longest time. In IE, it seems it limits gif animations to 10FPS not matter how much higher the actual framerate is supposed to be. But in other browsers, it just plays it at whatever speed the gif is supposed to run at (probably defaults to 30fps). When you originally made the gif, I have a feeling you set the framerate on it to 30fps, but in IE it only runs it at 10fps. So if you want it to look the same in all browsers, remake the gif animation, but set it to 10fps.

Oh, and in a slightly on-topic note, does anyone know what setting has to be at the highest in order to enable HDR on 6x00 cards? When I had everything adjust to my custom settings HDR wouldn't work, but when I put it all on very high, I could enable HDR. What settings can I turn down but still have HDR? Because right now my framerate is crap with everything on high (due to my xp2000).

Killroy X
01-16-05, 08:23 PM
GOTY for me is CoD : UO - Nothing comes close. :)

Hey, do doubt that CoD: UO was a great game. It's definately up there in my top 10. But for me, I think I'm starting to get tired of the linear, scripted gameplay in the FPS genre. Again, that's what sets FC from alot out there. No invisible walls = me likey! ;)

CaptNKILL
01-16-05, 08:40 PM
Huh...I think you just answered a question I've had about GIF animations for the longest time. In IE, it seems it limits gif animations to 10FPS not matter how much higher the actual framerate is supposed to be. But in other browsers, it just plays it at whatever speed the gif is supposed to run at (probably defaults to 30fps). When you originally made the gif, I have a feeling you set the framerate on it to 30fps, but in IE it only runs it at 10fps. So if you want it to look the same in all browsers, remake the gif animation, but set it to 10fps.

odd... windows plays it that speed too. When I opened it in Animation Shop it plays super fast. I guess I never changed it so it didnt move so fast because in windows it works fine. Really wierd.

I wonder why windows\ie would have a limit like that.

EDIT: There, I just resaved it and slowed it down. How does it look now? Its still slow in ie.