PDA

View Full Version : Why the obsession with drivers?

SquireSCA
01-16-05, 11:20 AM
This is a serious question, not trying to start a huge debate...

Every time someone releases a leaked beta driver on the other side of the planet, there is an immediate feeding frenzy as everyone goes out of their way to get them. Ok, fine.

But then there are all the threads comparing them all, people spending hours and hours testing and retesting to declare one to have the "performance crown"...

Which translates to a 1fps difference, in some games, and usually doesn't solve the most common game bugs like the yellow HL2 water. LOL

Is a frame per second actually something worth spending time over? It is so within the margin of error on any benchmark that I can't seem to make myself believe that it actually exists, let alone means anything...

And 1fps is certainly nothing that anybody could possibly ever notice. Without some sort of benchmark even telling you that it is there, nobody would ever know...

Is it just me, or does this relentless obsession with beta drivers seem sorta odd?

jAkUp
01-16-05, 11:26 AM
How would we know it was 1fps without testing it? Some drivers are known to give rather large increases.

People compare drivers to be helpful for the rest of us, if a driver only offers 1fps performance gain, maybe its not worth downloading for myself.

SquireSCA
01-16-05, 11:59 AM
How would we know it was 1fps without testing it? Some drivers are known to give rather large increases.

People compare drivers to be helpful for the rest of us, if a driver only offers 1fps performance gain, maybe its not worth downloading for myself.

That much is true, I guess. But then you see that people post the 1fps difference, and so many jump in all excited and can't wait to get that "performance crown" increase...

Just seems a bit odd...

iyos
01-16-05, 12:05 PM
The answer is simple, people like to hunt for that 'magic' driver. I can't see how you can call it odd, people enjoy it.

tret
01-16-05, 12:08 PM
Just as an example I will give you the reason I have tested many of the current Beta Drivers. With the Official 66.93 Drivers I have very poor performance with my SLI system. Compared to the beta 71.20 drivers, there is almost a 10-20 FPS difference in a lot of the major games.

However with the 71.20 beta drivers I have very poor UT2004 performance and my system hits some rather low frame rates so I tried the 67.03 drivers and found while it gives me very good frames and IQ in UT2004 and Doom3, I get very very poor HL2 performance, actually nearly a 40% drop. So I tried the 67.56 Beta drivers and that cleared up the HL2 problem but was horrible for Doom3.

Basically for whatever reason some drivers were better for some things than others. In the end I decided to stick with the 71.20 drivers and sacrifice and live with poor UT2004 performance for now. The official 66.93 drivers that are out are from several months ago and I think are not showing good performance especially for SLI users. and on the other end I didn't want to go with 71.24 - 71.50 because of the yellow HL2 water.

Hopefully that explains why some people test many different drivers. Although what is the big deal if other people just get a kick out of testing. There are guys out there that have crazy test benches with insane cooling and thousands of dollars of equipment to get the highest 3dmark05 scores around but I seriously doubt that they can use that PC on a regular basis that way or do for that matter. Different people do different things.

tret

$n][pErMan
01-16-05, 12:22 PM
I will end this thread right now with a post I put in another topic....

Well after some testing .. to be honest .. I have gone back to the Extreme G 67.02F. I used the High Quality release of your 67.65's and really did not notice much of anything that wow'ed me that I never saw before and to be honest I actually took a performance hit. Here is an example:

CS:S Video Strees Test @ 1280x1024 w/ 16xAF and 4xAA with everything on full VSync on with "High Quality" selected on the ExG 67.02F --- 93.76 FPS

CS:S Video Strees Test @ 1280x1024 w/ 16xAF and 4xAA with everything on full VSync on with "High Quality" selected at install on the ExG 67.65 --- 43.97 FPS

Not to mention it was noticably more choppy on the 67.65's for me.... im still saying the 67.02's are hands down better .. at least on my setup

Pandora's Box
01-16-05, 12:33 PM
That much is true, I guess. But then you see that people post the 1fps difference, and so many jump in all excited and can't wait to get that "performance crown" increase...

Just seems a bit odd...

proof please. i dont remember people jumping for joy over a 1fps jump in performance.

Electronic Punk
01-16-05, 12:47 PM
It's just like a drug :p

Waffles
01-16-05, 12:53 PM
Because you never know if that 1 FPS difference is going to turn into 5 FPS in the next driver release :)

Hase1
01-16-05, 01:29 PM
Not Performancewise only because the Compatibility and Bugfixes that are integrated in newer Drivers its a important Component between the Hard and Software Interconnect.

Vapor Trail
01-16-05, 02:39 PM
1 fps increase is nothing, but 1 fps increase over several driver revisions really adds up quick.

Part of the driver frenzy is looking for that extra fps, some is looking for better IQ or a bug fix for a particular game.

Right now I'm sticking with the 71.20's. The 71.40's and 71.50's are interesting me a bit because of the FSAA fix for LOTR-BFME but the yellow water in HL2 and the temp increase while idling is worrying me too much.

saturnotaku
01-16-05, 05:48 PM
The frequency of driver releases and people's subsequent enthusiasm isn't troubling at all to me. What's more of a problem is people who constantly ask - wich iz da bestest drivr 4 my computar machene? Three words folks, "trial and error." Download a few sets, run the games you play and if you find something works well for you stick with it.

PaiN
01-16-05, 06:31 PM
Is it just me, or does this relentless obsession with beta drivers seem sorta odd?

I'm with you on this Squire, everytime I read this forum I think the same thing...
But I never wanted to bring it up ;)...hey, if you're the type that wants to play "driver change" day in and day out, more power to ya.

imo, this "obsession" some have over drivers started years ago...when it was bought into that certain driver releases were going to increase performance >25% or "unlock" hidden features....hehehe joke's on you guys ...they never did and never will :p

teqguy
01-16-05, 06:46 PM
It's more of a science than obsession. Not all drivers work the same or the best in every setup, so it's all about finding the one that satisfies your system the most.

People like free rewards... and if a driver that only takes a minute or two to install and test can provide them with additional satisfaction(despite how little it is), it's worth it.

I just usually wait until guru3d.com releases one of their charts of the best performing drivers, because there's constantly new drivers to test and it's hard to keep up.

rewt
01-16-05, 07:35 PM
I could care less about a 1FPS increase or increase in 3dmark score.

I just want a driver that gets rid of the bugs. It seems it is a never-ending process...

iyos
01-16-05, 07:54 PM
I'm with you on this Squire, everytime I read this forum I think the same thing...
But I never wanted to bring it up ;)...hey, if you're the type that wants to play "driver change" day in and day out, more power to ya.

imo, this "obsession" some have over drivers started years ago...when it was bought into that certain driver releases were going to increase performance >25% or "unlock" hidden features....hehehe joke's on you guys ...they never did and never will :p

Joke? No one here thinks they are going to see a 25% increase, or a new feature. Like rewt said most want that little bit extra speed/stability across the board and mainly bug fixes (texture clamp, yellow HL2 water etc).

ericdrum
01-16-05, 08:08 PM
i hate the yellow water(hl2 piss) in 7x.xx drivers...

No at all of em. 71.20's don't have it.

Vapor Trail
01-16-05, 08:51 PM
Three words folks, "trial and error." Download a few sets, run the games you play and if you find something works well for you stick with it.

This is why I miss "official" releases. It would be nice to see what the driver fixes so I don't HAVE to spend time tinkering with them.

macatak
01-16-05, 10:46 PM
Anyone know where some more 'leaked' drivers are ? i've done the 71.50s, 71.40s, 70.78s and i even tried the 61.94s but they wouldn't install and i'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms...please heeeelp.

On a more serious note, another reason why people test different drivers is for overclocking your graphics card, a lot of people find different drivers are more stable and also allow higher overclocks, i notice this betwwen the 6x.xx drivers and the 7x.xx drivers mainly, i can overclock my card higher with the 71.24s than i can with the 67.03 drivers.