PDA

View Full Version : WD Raptor 74GB, worth it?

SquireSCA
01-16-05, 11:25 AM
I have an 80GB SATA WD SPecial Edition drive as my boot drive, and a new Maxtor 16mb cache 250GB SATA drive for storage...

I am wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade the boot drive from the fairly speedy 80GB drive to a 74GB Raptor... I have no interest in RAID at this point, but in the future, who knows...

Anyone go from a regular SATA drive to a Raptor? I know it is faster, but is it enough of an improvement to warrant the $175 price tag?

jAkUp
01-16-05, 11:29 AM
Do you notice a speed difference between your 80gb and your maxtor? The 74gb raptor is slightly faster than your maxtor 16mb

Riptide
01-16-05, 11:41 AM
I don't think it's worth it. Better ways to spend that $$ in light of what drives you already have.

SquireSCA
01-16-05, 12:00 PM
Do you notice a speed difference between your 80gb and your maxtor? The 74gb raptor is slightly faster than your maxtor 16mb

Well, the Maxtor would be faster than it is if I had a chipset that support NCQ, correct? Right now I have the benefit of the 16mb cache, but I don't think that the i865 support NCQ...

Qinstaller
01-16-05, 05:50 PM
even with a Board that suports NCQ the 74G Raptor would be faster cause it has NCQ also. But to be honest If it were me and I had your system I would go for a Dual 36Gig Raptor Raid 0 Setup. Then you will see some difference in performance. other wise save the money and Go Water cooled at some point :)

teqguy
01-16-05, 06:35 PM
The only reason your Maxtor has 16MB cache is to compensate for the serious bandwidth degredation that happens on the tertiary platter, although it should improve the consistency of the drive's throughput on all platters.

As for the Raptors... they're not going to help you whatsoever. The higher RPM only attributes to faster access times. While this might help reduce the latency of searching for and accessing files on the drive, it doesn't affect the drive's internal or external bandwidths... which is why RAID0 benefits you more in the long run.

If you can't afford to get a second 74GB Raptor, I would buy two 36GB ones and run them in RAID. You'll get the same capacity, but 35% more bandwidth than a single drive.

Just remember to resize your partition's clusters to 16KB or 32KB, or else larger files won't benefit as much from the increased bandwidth. I tend to practice the same on even non-RAID setups, although Windows XP formats it to 4KB by default.

Qinstaller, I don't know if you meant "even without a board that supports NCQ", but if you did... that's not true.

Native command queuing only works with chipsets that support it, because it's managed by the IDE controller, not the drive itself. The drive has to have an interpreter to tell the arm to move in unorthodox patterns, but very little is managed in the hard drive's onboard controller.

The only benefit is that it improves seek times by a couple ms. So, while it might be good for servers, it's not going to make as significant a difference as the common consumer would like it to. It's definitely nothing to fret over if your drive or chipset doesn't support it, though.

Qinstaller
01-16-05, 08:28 PM
Well, the Maxtor would be faster than it is if I had a chipset that support NCQ, correct? ...

even with a Board that suports NCQ the 74G Raptor would be faster cause it has NCQ also.

what I said was very correct.

SquireSCA
01-16-05, 09:27 PM
The only reason your Maxtor has 16MB cache is to compensate for the serious bandwidth degredation that happens on the tertiary platter, although it should improve the consistency of the drive's throughput on all platters.

As for the Raptors... they're not going to help you whatsoever. The higher RPM only attributes to faster access times. While this might help reduce the latency of searching for and accessing files on the drive, it doesn't affect the drive's internal or external bandwidths... which is why RAID0 benefits you more in the long run.

If you can't afford to get a second 74GB Raptor, I would buy two 36GB ones and run them in RAID. You'll get the same capacity, but 35% more bandwidth than a single drive.

Just remember to resize your partition's clusters to 16KB or 32KB, or else larger files won't benefit as much from the increased bandwidth. I tend to practice the same on even non-RAID setups, although Windows XP formats it to 4KB by default.

Qinstaller, I don't know if you meant "even without a board that supports NCQ", but if you did... that's not true.

Native command queuing only works with chipsets that support it, because it's managed by the IDE controller, not the drive itself. The drive has to have an interpreter to tell the arm to move in unorthodox patterns, but very little is managed in the hard drive's onboard controller.

The only benefit is that it improves seek times by a couple ms. So, while it might be good for servers, it's not going to make as significant a difference as the common consumer would like it to. It's definitely nothing to fret over if your drive or chipset doesn't support it, though.

Hmmm... Well, I was going to soon pick up a socket 939 mobo and a minimum of a 3500+ chip, so I will just make sure that it has SATA RAID and grab a pair of 36MB Raptors... Thanks!

-=DVS=-
01-17-05, 12:57 AM
Meh who needs small HDD with few seconds faster access .
For extra cash i would get another 250GB or bigger disk :D , can't have to much space for all the stuff :naughty:

*Hugs his 600Gbs of space :drooling:* how much DVDs you can rip :D

SquireSCA
01-17-05, 05:58 AM
Meh who needs small HDD with few seconds faster access .
For extra cash i would get another 250GB or bigger disk :D , can't have to much space for all the stuff :naughty:

*Hugs his 600Gbs of space :drooling:* how much DVDs you can rip :D

Well, I have an 80GB, a 250GB, plus a 200GB external HD. I have a media PC in the other room that has a 120GB and a 160GB shared out to the network... So between these two machines, I do have 810GB of storage...

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-18-05, 04:06 PM
i have two 74Gb versions in raid 0
xp boots a lot faster then the wd120Gb
some games do start faster

but copying files or unrarring goes damn fast ;)

BioHazZarD
01-18-05, 05:27 PM
Is the raptor loud or what ? that is the only thing that stops me from perhaps buying one.

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-18-05, 06:31 PM
it makes more noise than most drives
but its not disturbing

Jak Crow
01-28-05, 02:59 AM
Forget the Raptor drives. I've been testing them at my work for development build systems, and they deliver less than 10MB/s more performance than 2x 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0 configuration, and I'm being generous. For example: two Maxtor 200GB 7200rpm SATA drives in RAID 0 are giving me 92MB/s. Two 36GB 10k rpm Raptors are only delivering 95MB/s. Given that a 36GB Raptor is the same price as the 7200rpm 200GB Maxtor, the Raptors are so not worth it.

Gator
01-28-05, 03:14 AM
Not worth it, your drive setup looks fine, you'll be disappointed with such a small performance upgrade that doesn't even offer more space, and it's completely overpriced for what it is in my opinion. These days you can get a Seagate 200gig 8mb cache 7200RPM drive for about $115us. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than a mere 74gig 8mb cache 10,000RPM for $180.

If you said you had a 40gig 2mb cache 5400rpm drive, I'd say sure go for the Raptor. But in your case, don't bother.

Vagrant Zero
01-28-05, 04:45 AM
even with a Board that suports NCQ the 74G Raptor would be faster cause it has NCQ also. But to be honest If it were me and I had your system I would go for a Dual 36Gig Raptor Raid 0 Setup. Then you will see some difference in performance. other wise save the money and Go Water cooled at some point :)

Raid 0 36raps aren't as fast as a single 74gb raptor.

Also, to the person who asked if they were loud, it's not as loud as my case fans or GT. Noise isn't an issue for me.

Jak Crow
01-28-05, 12:49 PM
The 74GB is not a native SATA drive, so it does not have NCQ and you won't realize any benefits from a NCQ aware controller. They're just 10000 rpm drives with a bridge chip.

FastM
01-28-05, 02:04 PM
Is the raptor loud or what ? that is the only thing that stops me from perhaps buying one.

I just got one, not loud AT ALL, you dont hear the motor one bit, only time i hear it is when it accessing and its far from being loud in any way, dont worry about that at all.

Is it worth it? not at all, getting 2 is Raid-0 would be if you have the extra cash, but i regret my purchase, i should of gotten 2 WD80gig Sata in Raid-0, double the space with better performance and less cost.....

retsam
01-29-05, 09:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 74GB is not a native SATA drive, so it does not have NCQ and you won't realize any benefits from a NCQ aware controller. They're just 10000 rpm drives with a bridge chip. nope thats not true the new revisions of the raptors have ncq .... and most sata drives arent native ....

here (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65)

give me two or four raptors in raid 0 any day

here (http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101)

and here (http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2116)

LBJM
01-30-05, 03:35 PM
if you want your games to load quick get a 74GB raptor, if you don't care about how fast things load then stick with a 7200rpm drive. However, if you get a 74 GB raptor you will notice the difference. the 36GB ones are slower because they are 1st gen.

Vagrant Zero
01-30-05, 03:50 PM
if you want your games to load quick get a 74GB raptor, if you don't care about how fast things load then stick with a 7200rpm drive. However, if you get a 74 GB raptor you will notice the difference. the 36GB ones are slower because they are 1st gen.

Bingo. I played D3 on my raptor system...average load times for a level [not a save state load but an actual level load] were under 20 seconds. On my 7200rpm system it would take over 40 seconds.

Jak Crow
01-31-05, 02:59 PM
nope thats not true the new revisions of the raptors have ncq .... and most sata drives arent native ....

here (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65)

Nothing there says it's native SATA w/ NCQ. I find the "Enterprise-class throughput includes Western Digital's Ultra/150 Command Queuing technology" to be somewhat and purposefully vague because it's talking about the drive having TCQ which no controller supports right now. The drive is currently using a Marvel bridge chip, which is also SATA-II ready, so at least that's a good thing.

give me two or four raptors in raid 0 any day

here (http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101)

and here (http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2116)

That article shows gains under Sysmark, but then the rest show minor performance gains with the Raptors, like I was saying earlier. The price/performance benefits just aren't there. That article also says there is no performance gains to be had with a desktop user running RAID 0, and I'm inclinded to agree.

TacT
01-31-05, 04:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't bother and I'd just keep my IDE's decent performance and upgrade something more worth while.

retsam
01-31-05, 08:22 PM
my bad never mind